Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That's another one on my list, sounded interesting when i read about it at launch but gonna wait for a sale. I have Virginia but never played it, another one in my backlog.

I swear, the money i spent on Indies, i could have gotten a series s and gamepass to play them on that instead.

I just rolled credits on this, what ever this outfit make next I'll buy. It's not perfect but the stones on them for doing that ending chapter and it not being shite!!!!

I'd actually love to see what they could do with mega bucks budgets as what they did here was tight and terms of both production and writing and delivery.

Last Stop is on my list alright, good to hear the feedback? Did you play their other game Virginia? I got it but never played it, gonna install it to give a go, i read it's just 2 hours long which suits me grand currently.

Yeah Virginia is an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Howok

How many great games,WOW!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Road 96 has gone on my 'to buy' list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Played through Virginia last night start to finish, about 2 hours. It's erm weird, but certainly a good kind of weird. Definite Twin Peaks vibes. In several ways I'm not sure what exactly I played, but it was hell of intriguing throughout. One I may be tempted for a 2nd run through (altho would be missing some of the mystery then). Well worth a couple of hours playtime folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Meanwhile I sacked off Trek to Yomi after 4 of 7 chapters. Feels like such a missed opportunity fir what could game been a classic, the world, artstyle & story were top notch for an indie. But the combat becomes more tiresome as you progress, and more than anything fairly random whether you get through a checkpoint unscathed or need several attempts, so much so the fun was sucked out if it. Which kinda sucks

Yeah Yomi got old fast.

Went back to Inscryption after previously failing to get past the first act. Using some guides, I finally got past it. I'm not a huge fan of card games but I absolutely love all the other Daniel Mullins games. Please check them out if you haven't already. He does all sorts of meta stuff. Multiple genre's in one game. Breaks so many fourth walls that you're breaking out of a hexadecagon.

• Advertisement

Just finished Citizen Sleeper. Didn't think it could be as good as Norco but it's possibly better, I'm not sure. Definitely both great games and now my new favourite genre....whatever that is! Visual Novels? Now, what next...mmmm.

Citizen Sleeper and Norco both look really interesting, hopefully will make it to PS one day.

Well this looks delightful. Like a mix of Moana and a friendly Subnautica. Made by the devs who have yet to release nightmare fuel Scorn, Tchia is set to release early 2023.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's like they went out of their way to make the complete polar opposite to Scorn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

New game from Ladybug just released om Steam:

Ladybug have been making some of the best doujin Metroidvanias for years before going legit and I'll be insterested in seeing how a shmup pans out. Already looks great in video. I've bought it so will report back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So had a quick go of the first stage and basically Drainus seems to be utterly fantastic. The 2D is gorgeous and even that first stage had some insane set pieces. The drain mechanic works really well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Schmups are a good genre that look like I'd have lots of fun with, but would also be too chicken for the bullet hell too.

I'm currently playing Super Hot, which is a few years old at this stage. It's such an addictive game. It's more fun than it has any right to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pfft, that game Retr0 alluded to above is nowhere near bullety enough to be classed as bullet hell ;)

A bullet hell game has to be a glorious cascade of bullet patterns and boast an equally overwhelming scoring mechanic to fit the bill. Cave games ftw - there are few better feelings in gaming than using some very particular mechanic to clear a screen of purple bullets and score tens of millions of points at once.

And Returnal is one of the few 3D games that gets at least some of what makes the particular subgenre tick - some of the neon, gloriously HDR-friendly bullet patterns that game has are incredible.

It looks deceptively like a bullet hell game but it isn't. The drain feature means you actively seek out large bullet patterns to absorb them and it's very generous on this regard.

There's a lot of bullets on screen but you can absorb them.

It's much closer to gradius or Darius with more varied attack patterns than filling the screen with bullets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The main game is good, but Superhot VR is superb. The main gameplay gimmick is an idea that really came into its own with the benefits VR brings to the table.

Huge PSN sale today across all genres but a nice few indies have popped up on my wishlist. Some aren't discounted enough for me to bite and some are being added to PS Plus new bundles next month but some tasty ones here. Art of Rally looks brilliant and heard good things about Spiritfarer. Suicide of Rachel Foster looks to be a Gone Home kind of experience for a fiver.

But the standout looks to be Hard West for 2 euro, a Wild West Xcom em up, surely has to be worth a go.

PS, must remove 12 minutes from Wishlist :D

New game on consoles and switch today, looks like it's 2 years old on pc. Looks like a mix between Dysmantle and Last of Us which intrigues me but could be utter shyte.

It's 13 euro on PSN if anyone wants to take a bite. I'm gonna wait for sale.

I just picked up Rebel Cops, currently on sale on psn, down from a tenner to 1.50. It's a spin off of the This is the Police series. Where TitP 2 took the cop management sim from the first game and added xcom style turn based combat, Rebel cops ditches the management sim side and goes all in as an xcom game. For 1.50, absolutely worth a look.

Here's a neat surprise, and one from the archives: so who remembers Steam Greenlight? And by any chance did anyone support an indie horror game called Routine? A game that subsequently got lost in limbo around 2013? Well, turns out, it's back and the 3 devs behind have restarted the project, complete with a gameplay trailer. No release date yet but by their own admission, they're not committing to one after the last time.

What's funny is that even though the game gives off very strong Alien: Isolation vibes, Routine came first, its development starting back in 2012! I know it's a deep cut, but when I saw the trailer I had to laugh. 10 years later.

Next on my visual novel buzz is AI: The Sominum Files. Going to try play this on mobile cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Lots of indies on display later today with both the Wholesome Direct and Guerrilla Collective.

Gave this a go, wasn't for me. The first scene was promising, setting a gothic scene with a grim murder in fairground. Lashing rain, cops on the scene in ponchos. Protagonist seemed pretty cool with this AI controlled eyeball.

After a couple more scenes I honestly do not feel like I'm playing the same game. Its got this childish silliness to it with a tetris type soundtrack that really grates on my nerves.

On the plus side, it plays really, really well on mobile. I think mobile will be my go to device for visual novels from now on, game pass needs more of them.

• Advertisement

July 28th sees this super chill looking management/adventure game, Bear & Breakfast... Switch anyway, too lazy to check on other platforms.

Advertisement