Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Rugby Opinions

Options

Comments

He's not good enough for Ireland but think if he'd taken an unfair dismissal case against the IRFU he'd have won, presume he was paid off big money to leave tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭roverjoyce

Team with no Salary Cap wins a competition where all other teams have a salary Cap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Leinster’s three most astute signings were Mick Dawson, Joe Schmidt and Stuart Lancaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The biggest hindrance to Womens rugby is not disinterested unions but their own fanbase and the delusions of grandeur associated with it.

It is not sustainable to have fully professional teams at the moment and calls for it redirect the much needed focus away from grassroots funding for the womans game.

A top down approach is almost never a successful model in these circumstances.

Deluded fans with no understanding but an ability make noise in the right places is directing people away from the actual issues at hand.

Furthermore there are far too many people calling themselves "fans" of womens rugby and only rearing their head if there is an eye catching controversial headline that they can share on their Instagram stories or comment under on Facebook or forums. These fans are subsequently nowhere to be seen when there is actual success to share or encouragement to be gotten. They have all moved on to the next source of controversy to focus 5 seconds of their time on in a desperate need to appear like they have causes and values.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dupont is not the be all and end all of rugby players. He's had a fairly mediocre season by his standards.

Pundits just automatically put him in a god tier out of laziness/ignorance. He was on the long list for EPOTY after only playing a single game in the tournament against the Cardiff third string. He's now on the shortlist after being far from his best in the knock outs for Toulouse. There's a half dozen players who were outperformed him in the last month of European rugby and featured in the semi finals (which is normally the minimum stage required to be nominated).

• Advertisement

Johnny Sexton is the most influential player in Irish rugby history

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Just from a Leinster perspective, JGP has been more impactful this season.

Unpopular?

it is arguable. Perhaps but the likes of Keith Wood, BOD, POC paved the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Andy Friend is a good coach! So is VanGrann!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

What does influential even mean in this context.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Number of followers on TikTok. What else could it mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Jamie Heaslip was hugely overrated...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Peter stringer should have got a Lions cap.

A lot of complacency in Leinster. La Rochelle will win on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ROG was good but wasn’t a great. And he also had an attitude problem (I don’t want to play on this team any more because I’m not getting what I want).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I have a few so I'll put them in seperate posts.

The Lions tour is outdated and doesn't make sense anymore. I can see the appeal of it decades ago where the southern hemisphere teams were miles ahead of the northern hemisphere and players from the 4 countries came together to try and beat the far greater side.

Nowadays, the 4 sides players know each other inside out. They're playing each other pretty often at international and club level plus the Irish/Welsh/Scots teams are getting more regular playtime in the southern hemisphere at altitude with the SA making the challenge down south less and less tough over time. There's also social media where they get to know them more, similar to how the England football team used to have rivalries due to club football but now they're all pally.

I honestly don't see what the challenge is when you get the best players out of 2 or 3 of the best sides in the world and play them against one country.

It's all a money making thing. You can come at me with stats on win % but I don't buy it.

Rugby is an incredibly dangerous sport to play physically. Physical injuries are inevitable in every single match and head impacts are doing massive damage. I cringe when I see players like Jamie Roberts or Robbie Henshaw used as battering rams off scrums or lineouts. Every time there's an impact, their brains are bouncing around their skull giving them mini concussions. And players are getting bigger every year.

Finn Russell is a liability and is the rugby equivalent of Paul Pogba, a player with great skill but can't be trusted to do the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭standardg60

Not being bothered by the Angelus is definitely an unpopular opinion

The crowd at the Aviva are just out for the event rather than the rugby and don't even know the rules of rugby considering the jeers and boo's after some decisions, lads all dressed in their long black coats, scarves and flat caps with their pint of Guinness.

The Irish womens team, like many women sports, just look to blame everyone else but themselves for their own failures.

When they lost out to I think Spain to miss out on the world cup, suddenly the IRFU were a joke and to blame yet when they lost to Spain it was a SHOCK, meaning it was surprising and not expected. If the IRFU were so bad and to blame, why were there no indications this result was coming. There wasn't one mention that Ireland could lose.

Were the players on the pitch good enough to beat Spain? YES.

Were they expected to beat Spain? YES.

This is not unpopular....its a fact...you left out the prawn sandwich brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Chris Farrell is quite average, a poor defender, and wouldn't make the Leinster 2nd string side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Agreed, needs to be a max weight limit per team. Players are too big. If you want to play Uni Antonio, there needs to be some 11st guy in the backs to balance him. Not a guy playing in the centre with the physique of a 2nd row.

Can't image anyone disagreeing with this. Russell is pants, not even interested half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭standardg60

Paddy Jackson's whatsapp group comments were outrageous compared to all of our own

Wayne Barnes is an excellent ref and not just a self -entitled barrister

Donal Lenihan is not biased towards Munster when selecting MOTM

• Advertisement

I think he was a ‘great’ for Munster and the H Cup, but just a ‘good’ for Ireland - he blew a bit hot and cold. Although he would have had enjoyed the 50 - 22’s…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement