Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the etiquette here??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AttractiveAndSingle

Swang by the handicapped a little earlier and as I was opening the door I felt a little ‘click’, like a washer or pin in the opening mechanism had snapped but of course I thought nothing of it.

Confidentially pushed open the door with a skip in my step (payments all sorted for the week, thinking about a pint of porter at 4:00 ) only to step inside the shitter and be faced by a scrawny figure with a pale white potbelly haunched over the porcelain, his face like an ashamed greyhound, obviously caught mid squeeze, cheeks flushed, eyes weary and red, the sudden stink of shite flooding my nostrils, colleague’s trousers around his ankles on the floor with toilet paper clutched desperately in his hand. Not sure where to look next time I pass poor Fergal in the corridor?? Make sure you lock the door you prick !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

He had whose trousers around his ankles??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AttractiveAndSingle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Sounds like he was on his own in there before the poster walked in,so "Self Service".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I nearly spat out my half chewed sandwich with laughter after reading this! The description of the stench is hilarious 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Grouptherapy

An easy mistake to make and at least Fergal will make sure to double check the lock next time he goes to log out. Still, it was a bit traumatic for all involved and will leave a lingering awkwardness. Like the first time you see a skid mark on the left on the porcelain from you significant other. You get over it but the image never really leaves you. What's seen can't be unseen and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Hey ho it's off to the bang Box I go !!

• Advertisement

We’ve all been that soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭You the man

An emergency stop that lasted 35 minutes?

Holy cow!

Poor individual was in a spot of bother I'd bet if it took that long.

That time frame would be more akin to a scheduled pitstop..

Might have overindulged on the pistachio nuts and Lidl lager the night before, or be a Current Affairs forum regular.

Missed about 20 minutes of a Galway hurling league match in Pearse Stadium a few years back because of it. The first 3 inches of it were frozen by the time the last of it “said its goodbyes”. Should have had a cup of Supermacs coffee before heading in. Grim auld day in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good spray of loose scutther in ‘Pats Place’ before the coffee, cake the pan like, would be ideal.

Then you could leave for Pearse with your head held high saying “Well I left me mark here ,anaway, as the rank cloying fent of blown haddock and fried beans begins to seep out the shïtter door.

Filthy kernt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Slideways

The pistachio nuts are a fecking curse. Moorish things that you just can’t stop eating but they always leave me with silly string shytes. A never finishing experience that leaves a man nervous and edgy that you’ve left the throne with unfinished business to attend to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Have you two ever considered doing a podcast together?

The usual busy monday morning in the work jacks earlier. I had to settle for a mid-terrace location. Some dirty kernt left skid marks in it akin to the main road exit from Glastonbury after a wet weekend. Courtesy flush did nothing really to shift it. I'd no choice but to carry on as badge was under pressure. Seat was still warm which only added to my anxiety. Lad in stall beside me was panting and grunting before each splash (think it was that big unit who works in logistics). To cap it off the bloody WiFi was acting up and I couldn't look at phone. First world problems I know - but not a good experience all round. Hope others are having abetter Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

^^ Nothing worse than a moist warm toilet seat ....

anyway, I deposited a phucking log that stood straight up over the weekend, tapered top and all sticking above the surface.

Phuerker looked like the empire state building.

I would have posted a picture if this wasn't such a class gentlemanly thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have often thought of posting a picture myself.....but it would not be appropriate and may frighten the good folks of the thread...

Most recently i produced an offering that put the Lloyds Bank Viking Coprolite to shame......

It was bunted out in the fields under a whitethorn hedge...the resulting yule log was covered over with a few leaves and branches......

I was left with the thought that maybe in a few centuries the fossilised remants of it will be studied by future scholars and scientists....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

A whitethorn? You should never attempt to destroy or defile a Sceach. It’s incredibly bad luck. You must be a Jackeen, as country folk know to leave well enough alone. You’ll probably end up with Monkeypox of the hole.

Whitethorn (hawthorn) was considered a sacred tree. When it grows alone near the banks of stream, or on forts, it is considered to be the haunt and peculiar abode of the fairies, and as such is not to be disturbed without risk, sooner or later, of personal danger to the person so offending -William Gregory Wood-Martin, Traces of the Elder Faiths in Ireland (1902).

• Advertisement

I believe you're safe enough with a hedge. Lone hawthorns on the other hand are best left alone.

But surely dropping a log al-fresco like that is as nature intended. Not to be confused with lobbing one in to neighbour's garden or flat roof. That wouldn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Hooked

Ok... Long time lurker, 1st time caller...

LOVE this tread. Been here since the start. Epic banter - comedic replies.

But I have to admit... All this talk of trips to the jacks with a phone or newspaper. WTF? My routine is 'in and out' in as little time as it would take to take a slash. The only time lost might be to open a window (if at home) or a quick scrub with the toilet brush (if the diet required it).

Can someone explain to me the need to spend any more than 2 minutes emptying the auld bowels... and a quick wipe or three?

Also - pants and jocks to the floor? Am I the only one who just whips the aforementioned items just down far enough to get the job done? As in - just below the arse crease... like one of those mooning dolls you'd see suckered to the rear window of a fiesta in the 80's?

Have at me folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A lot to take in there, H. Can I ask why you feel the need to get “in and out”? What’s waiting for you when you leave the jacks?

I, myself, use the toilet to take 2, unofficial “breaks” during the working day. 10-15 minutes either side of lunch. If I have to go on my own time before all that starts I make sure to claim it back when I get in.

You're missing out on some great time for reflection, mindfulness or just, plum, turning off and recharging. Hell, I’ve even taken to having the odd “sit down” slash at home, gives a brief respite from dealing with the kids. Nothing excessive, they’re good craic, but sometimes you just need a minute to yourself.

The only think I could recommend to you is to give the “long sit” a go. Take your time, be that with a phone, magazine, book, newspaper or your own thoughts on the universe but don’t be making any moves until your legs are asleep.

As for the strides, no, just no, pull them down. Ankles preferably but if the floor looks a bit píssy then stop at the knees. You’re leaving yourself open to splash back, like ‘Poseidon’s Kiss’ but on the back of your trousers. Potential for “spotting” on the front too, if you suffer some form of pressure buildup, spraying them with the coins of the realm.

Be careful out there, H. Life is short but it’s also fast, sometimes it’s nice to slow things down and allow for some introspection.

Great to see a new contributor not afraid to ask questions and provoke discussion. Welcome aboard.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Welcome Hooked.

I'd be an in and out kind of guy. I find putting any excess unnecessary "strain" on the balloon knot can lead to "undesirables" down there, so will only take as long as needed which isn't too long generally.

As for the minimal dropping of the britches, I find that quite odd. Material would be touching toilet seat? As Mr. Spiceland alluded to, you'd be leaving yourself open to all types of contamination, never mind the uncomfortable aspect of the set up. I think you need to reassess your approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Just to clarify, I may be “on the pot” for 15 minutes but I’m not sat there huffing and puffing, forcing out logs by the inch. No, job gets done in the first couple of minutes and after that my time is my own.

Sure, I’ve had the odd experience where things don’t go swimmingly or you get hit with a second “load” getting delivered after the wipe, leading to a raw hole from a second round of wiping, but they would be exceptions not the rule.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Ah Yes... I have been SLATED for the auld "minimal drop" approach. I guess I'm just one of those 'lean sigma 6' type of approach guys... just remove them enough as is necessary. No idea why. I'd have thought pants and jocks to the floor would have had just as many hygiene related issues.

As for the sitting and reflecting. Ugh... In my early forties, I want to spend as little time in that position as possible! As much for my knees as my internals. Though, I've never ever really sat and reflected on the throne. The idea of spending any longer in a room, basking in my own ambience, is just not cricket.

Don't get me wrong - I take hourly breaks from work (designer stuck at a screen 9-5.30)... sometimes I'll hop in the camper (small VW daily driver) for a lie down. And I find my introspection early morning via bird-song or late at night staring at the stars. Nothing like a good auld switch off.

As an aside - I'd be a regular 7.30am 'up and atom' (Simpsons ref) visitor to the bog. Once a day type thing. BUT CHRIST, once I've had a feed of pints - the aftermath is so bad lately that I'm regularly switching to red wine or whisky!!! Not because the toilet looks like it's full of a shoal of mutant body builder tadpoles... no... it's the pain/heat/claret at the back door. Me and beer just ain't getting along AT ALL the last few years.

And this is why I love the thread. A warm welcome - and some fresh perspective. I feel I've prob addressed the "need" to get in and out in the above reply... but to summarise: I'm ustally a 7.30am visitor - and have an hourly dodge of the office chair well in hand. Just like to do it outdoors or in the back of the van... The reflection - not the poopin'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Take Emmet's advice here lads. No trip to the trap should be rushed. Not nowadays where everything is go, go, go.

Sometimes you need to sit and silently reflect on life and there's no better place than the can. No interruptions, no emails, no phone calls, no nagging from the missus. Just you and the bang from your arse.

Women are great for making time for themselves be it getting their hair done, beauticians or meeting up with friends for coffee. As a man there's no better place than the throne for having some "me" time.

Had a bit of smoked mackerel for the tea last night. The farts today would turn cheddar blue. Absolutely wojus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

What is it with hearty meals that make you immediately want to evacuate? I had just finished my famous diced chicken, pasta, and rich tomato sauce dinner when I was promptly drawn to the Water Closet for the worst expulsion since Christ in the temple.

I’ll spare your blushes but there was an affluence of effluent today après le repas. Luckily I had a fan and a napkin for dabbing the sweat off my brow nearby and a spare few minutes to “cool down” before I could get on with my day. Very traumatic stuff.

Advertisement