Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

People just thought vaccines = disease be gone. Which wasn't the case with a virus that mutates a lot.

Certain people seem to act like we have some "contract" with the virus, we don't. We could have a new wave. There could be a new variant that is much more deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Up until omicron came and even while after it was out every poster who even hinted that vaccines do not stop transmission was banned from every thread but conspiracy one. Fast forward few months and rhetoric changed to that they "reduce transmission" - whatever that means since it is hard to prove that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Exactly ... 'your opinion'

but I'd but much more weight behind the opinions and studies of those who are experts in the field and know about epidemiology, vaccines and efficacy.

I've said before that my wife has two decades of experience in researching and interpreting medical data in this area ... her opinion is vastly different to yours.

No disrespect but not all opinions are equal

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Is your wife's opinion that the vaccines are effective at preventing symptomatic cases of Covid? And you? Are the vaccines are effective at preventing symptomatic cases of covid, in your opinion?

Note how you claim in this thread not to be an anti-vaxxer or conspiracy theorist, yeah..

• Advertisement

my opinion is irrelevant.

My wife's opinion is that the high uptake of the vaccines in Ireland (90%+ in the main demographic) had very very positive effects on the case numbers requiring hospital treatment including ICU, which equated to lower fatalities. Your straw man argument about 'preventing symptomatic cases' is irrelevant as the main priority of governments was to keep people out of hospital and serious illness.

You can try and shift the goalposts all you want - but the reality is that the vaccination program was a very positive program.

As for the safety of vaccines (which this thread is about) ... it is now beyond doubt as the only discussion points being put forward are around efficacy and the usual 'global Pharma conspiracies'

Strange, I've repeated said the vaccines do not stop transmission in many threads.

When I see the ban lists it's typically a bunch of foaming-at-the-mouth anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists, the same list. So yeah, not surprising really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Your problem is that you fantasize way too much about how you do know what others meant or why they did what they did...

Also talking about "personal untrained, highly biased and very dishonest opinion" is what you do here too considering that not even year ago you were convinced that vaccine grants you immunity.

very positive effects on the case numbers requiring hospital treatment including ICU, which equated to lower fatalities.

So, I'm in agreement with your wife. The vaccines have had positive effects at preventing ICU cases and reducing facilities.

Your straw man argument about 'preventing symptomatic cases' is irrelevant as the main priority of governments was to keep people out of hospital and serious illness.

My point is that the vaccines were approved to prevent symptomatic cases, not to keep people out of hospital and reduce serious illness. That is a bonus, but it has not changed the criteria under which the vaccines were granted approval in the first place.

Calling this fact a straw man argument just emphasises my original point:

When the vaccines were first rolled out the clear expectation was that the primary function was to prevent catching Covid.

When it became abundantly clear that this was not working as intended, but they were having good effect in preventing serious illness and death, very few vaccine proponents acknowledged this. It was spun as if the primary function all along was to reduce serious illness and death, and anybody who thought they were taking the vaccine to prevent them getting Covid just didn't understand how vaccines worked.

This is total and utter nonsense, and as far as I am concerned it undermines all subsequent claims about the vaccine efficacy and safety.

• Advertisement

except you are incorrect in what you are saying about the 'clear expectation was that the primary function was to prevent catching covid'

Here is a simple narrative from the NHS in Scotland - published in March 2021

Note how it states

"The vaccines contain ingredients that give your body instructions to produce the spike protein, using the virus’ genetic code.

Then, your body makes antibodies that can recognise the spike protein on the coronavirus if it enters your body and help fight it off. This means that if you choose to take a vaccine, you are less likely to get severely sick if you encounter the coronavirus"

ZERO Mention of not being able to contract the virus

This is from the CDC in Sept 2021

"Vaccinated people can still become infected and have the potential to spread the virus to others, although at much lower rates than unvaccinated people"

link: fully-vaccinated-people.html

So - it is a straw man argument when your argument is based upon something that wasn't true

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There was never any claim that the vaccines would be that effective, or that they were even hoping for them to be anything like as effective as they were. You are claiming that it was expected for them to be some perfect miracle cure, that was absolutely never the case at any point in the process. They would have been approved even if far less effective than they turned out to be, as shown by the fact that of the various ones approved they range from mid 90% - low 60% effectiveness.

For a time I thought these vaccines would prevent most transmission from the variants, then I read about it

When I discovered otherwise, I didn't start trying to blame something else for me being wrong. On a conspiracy theory forum.

There was never any claim that the vaccines would be that effective, or that they were even hoping for them to be anything like as effective as they were. You are claiming that it was expected for them to be some perfect miracle cure

Again you are putting words in my mouth. I have said nothing about expectations of a miracle cure, or degrees of effectiveness.

I have simply said that the vaccines were approved for human use solely to prevent cases of Covid 19, they were not approved to reduce the severity of the outcome. That is a benefit that has only become clear after widespread vaccination, but at the time of approval there was no data to support this.

So - it is a straw man argument when your argument is based upon something that wasn't true

If you are claiming that the vaccines were not approved in order to prevent vaccinated people contracting symptomatic Covid, can you tell me what they were approved for?

Vaccines were developed to reduce transmission and reduce severity of the disease. Keyword: reduce.

Indeed, the vaccines did reduce transmission (depending on variant, a vaccinated person held the viral load for a shorter period than an unvaccinated person) and they greatly reduced the severity of the disease

Like many people, you misunderstood and thought that vaccines would literally "stop" Covid. For a period I presumed that as well.

To reduce the effects of the virus and its transmission .... you are totally misinformed if you still believe that the vaccine was a one stop shop

Vaccines were developed to reduce transmission and reduce severity of the disease. Keyword: reduce.

Vaccines were approved to prevent symptomatic cases. Keyword: approved

My original post:

It was spun as if the primary function all along was to reduce serious illness and death, and anybody who thought they were taking the vaccine to prevent them getting Covid just didn't understand how vaccines worked.

Your response:

Like many people, you misunderstood and thought that vaccines would literally "stop" Covid.

QED.

And you're totally misinformed if you think the vaccines were granted approval to reduce the effects of the virus and it's transmission. I don't think that is your fault, but it has been spun that way which is the point of my initial post. So you are far from alone in this belief.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

we already knew from the flu vaccine that people who get the vaccine can still contract the virus, but the vaccine works by reducing the viral load and subsequent severity of the illness.

• Advertisement

The vaccines were developed before Delta and they showed decent efficacy in reducing transmission the earlier forms of the virus. Less so with variants that arrived during and after development.

As Omicron raged, those vaccines were much less effective on transmission (obviously) but held strong on reducing severity. You've then inserted your personal narrative that it was "spun" based on your flawed earlier thinking that the vaccines would be much more effective in preventing transmission

It's plain for everyone to see.

I'm not totally misinformed - as I've mentioned I do have the benefit of living with someone who is an actual expert in the area and has access to the correct and most up todate data as part of their profession.

Anyway, your frustration and confusion is justifiable if you came from an opinion that the vaccine was a one stop shop. Hopefully you'll take on board some of the information that people have directed you to and you're frustrations will be alleviated somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Amazing. After the glut of recent posts, it still remains that the vaccines are overwhelming safe.

The remaining zealots need to salvage something after dedicating so many posts to anti-vaccine, anti-mask, Covid conspiracy quackery. They'll take anything at this stage.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You've then inserted your personal narrative that it was "spun" based on your flawed earlier thinking that the vaccines would be much more effective in preventing transmission

Once again you are putting words in my mouth, I said nothing about preventing transmission. I said approval was granted to prevent symptomatic cases.

You said that the vaccine was approved "To reduce the effects of the virus and its transmission".

That is wrong. You are totally misinformed, irrespective of who you live with.

Vaccine trials showed up to 95% reduction in symptomatic Covid cases.

The virus mutates.

You seem to be suggesting some sort of massive global "marketing" thing happened, care to elaborate on that? Be specific please

• Advertisement

By marketing I mean they were granted approval to bring the vaccines to market - not that the world's top ad agencies were engaged to book superbowl ads etc.

And the initial approval to market the vaccines was granted on the specific basis to prevent symptomatic Covid cases as opposed to reduce the effects of the virus and its transmission.

Advertisement