Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of Tullamore MW mast.

Options

Comments

Photo from site

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I feel its bad news, have you any more pictures or video footage of the site?

It's still standing

Thanks, its a shame they won't get it going again, even if they installed a 200kw TX, it could act as an infill when FM txs are down.

It looks to be in perfect condition, they could erect the other 48 meter mast at the other end of the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Its something i always look out for when I pass through Tullamore. I saw it this weekend. I'm very saddened to hear it's coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

I hope they don't knock it, it would be great for Newstalk if they installed a new or second hand 200kw transmitter. It cost millions to set up, why tear it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Cost to run a 200kw TX would be prohibitive for any station let alone Newstalk.

Newstalk recently pulled their astra feed to save what would be minimal costs .

Spirit , who are supposed to be AM only , can't keep their <5kw TX operational with the TX now off - and no sign of it returning....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Infoanon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I can think of some ex pirate radio types from the 70s/80s who could drop a mast in about five seconds and often did 😂

Yes Newstalk has been taken off the Astra satellite from the 1st of September on cost grounds, truly amazing, its the first of maybe changes to come by Beauer Media Audio. They could tear down what Dennis O Brien has built up. However I'd like to see Newstalk on Saorview. As for Spirit radio, its AM 549 service was a joke.

Spirit are very very cheeky calling 5kw from Monaghan an "national service". It's a far cry from the 200kw from Athlone or Tullamore that was originally promised back in 2007.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bauer are closing AM outlets left right and centre in the UK. There is zero chance of a new one in a country that hasn’t had a widely listened to medium wave service since 2008.

RTE in their planning application to Offaly COCO say that the mast is currently being used by local broadband providers but it is too expensive and awkward to maintain due to it's size and age, they go on to say that the new 48m mast is for them to continue working with the local broadband providers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"great for Newstalk" and "great for the few people that care about AM" are not the same thing.

It would be of no use to Newstalk.

I remember when RTE announced that MediumWave was going to close down in 2008, the Irish Times tried to whip up a frenzy about "rural elderly people" not being able to use FM, Every rural elderly person I knew than had been listening daily to Paul Claffey on FM since 1989 😕 😕 😕 😕

In saying that tho, I think Medium wave was killed way before it's time, if RTE Gold had launched on 567 around 2002- 2003, 2fm could have become a proper BBC Radio 1 style youth station with Larry, Gareth, John Clarke and all the other smashie and nicie Djs moving to this new "RTE Gold 567". Gerry Ryan would have moved to RTE Radio 1 as Ronan Collins and John Creedon would also be moved to this new RTE 567

Look at all the great Young talent 2fm had on their books that time that could never be utilized properly. Jenny Huston, Cormac Battle, Wes Darcy, Conor Glenan, Jay Ahern. Ann Harrington. It's tragic when you think about it ☹️

Is the Tullamore 567khz medium wave mast still standing? I haven't heard anything at all anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

It was still standing about 3 weeks ago when i passed that way.

I am in the area again this Friday evening - I will have a look and report back here.

Steve Conway

Still standing as of this evening, Fri 29th April 2022.

Steve Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dom the chemist

Have they started building the replacement 48m tower yet ?

I wasn't close enough to see that, unfortunately.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Is Athlone mast and buildings still there?

It broadcast RTE 2FM until 12th April 2004

Some nice pics here, taken 5 months earlier in 2003:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~totalbroadcast/athlone2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I was just speaking to a friend in the business about this a few weeks ago. It’s still there.

On that site they mention that one of the sections of the Continental was off “for maintenance” when they visited. It probably never ran again at that late a stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

There are long standing plans (hopes), to open the Athlone site as a broadcast museum. Since it is a site of national (and international) cultural merit, it certainly should be done - there is some very historic equipment there and like the Natural History Museum in Dublin, it was practically a functioning museum piece right up until it closed.

Someone make it happen soon.... before it becomes cheaper and easier to destroy it.

http://www.projectanywhere.net/calling-athlone-steve-maher/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My friend said you need a safe pass to enter the site, which worries me that it may not be in the best condition anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dom the chemist

It's interesting that nobody outside US anorak community know/care about the Ballycommon Tullamore mast coming down because it only dates from the mid 70s so has no historical value, but in 40/50 time it would be regarded as an national treasure. Luckily when Tullamore was opened in about 75, 2fm was on the horizon so the Athlone site was held on to for nationwide coverage of 2fm,but had it been bulldozed at the time few people would have have noticed or cared as the site was only 40 something years old at the time, like Ballycommon today. On another similar note, back around 2003/2004 RTENL had a huge bonfire of shedloads of Atlantic 252 Memorabilia that was in storage in the Summerhill hall , again at the time it looked completely sensible to declutter stuff from a fairly recently closed radio station that was deemed unpopular for some time before it's demise but even now barely 20 years later I'm sure many people would love for that Memorabilia to have been held on too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

When Athlone 612 MW was switched off (RTE 2FM) in April 2004, I remember there was very little fuss made about it.

The Tullamore switch off (RTE Radio 1) a few years later got more publicity. Athlone transmitter is far more widely recognised than Tullamore ??

Some of the final days of 2FM from 2004 on 612 MW were uploaded to You Tube, with a switch off announcement on the 2nd clip during John Clarke's show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81-ZVTCZw1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx6f_02YAgI

Advertisement