Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunq enters ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Pretty sure they were already here but with a Dutch IBAN.

Having an IE one is hugh especially with people who have heard bad stories about foreign IBANs (I say that as a person who uses N26 and Revolut as their main banks now).

Post edited by Sheep Shagger on

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Birka

An Irish IBAN seems to be only available with their Easy Money (€8.99 per month) or Easy Green (€17.99 per month) offerings. All their offerings have Spanish, German, French and Italian IBANs so maybe the Irish one will be added soon. Hopefully, as it'd really set them apart from Revolut/N26. The joint account option is handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Says here that 'The Irish IBAN is available for all bunqers residing in Ireland' but not clear if Easy Money or Easy Green plan is required

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You need to have a paid plan: Easy Money Personal + Business and Easy Green Personal + Business users, it's mentioned on the bottom of the link you posted.

Having said that, I still have an old travelcard plan and I got offered an Irish IBAN for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

That's if you're not an Irish Resident but want an Irish IBAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,957 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Heard this being discussed on morning Ireland, whilst it mentioned Irish IBAN now available, it didn't mention it was only available on paid plans. 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Alright, let's see once the first person takes an easy bank subscription and reports back.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

Appears to be available on all plans. Cheapest "current account" is the Easy Bank account at €2.99/month.

Are there transaction fees for card payments on these accounts? I had a look on their website but a lot of the "new" ways to pay went right over this old persons head 🤣

Excellent news because 2.99€ is not a Hugh amount for the basic account.

There are transactional charges if you pay in foreign currency (sadly that was introduced a few months ago) but paying in € is free.

But if you ever need cash, be careful, the daily ATM transaction limit is extremely low with max 250€ (up to €500 after 3 month) daily plus on the easy bank you are getting charged 0.99€ for the first 5 withdrawals and then 2.99€. So, if you need cash, this might be a deal breaker.

Full Pricing is here: 20220328_consumers_business_pricing_EN (website-files.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Does anyone have a joint account with them? I see it can be setup, but I'm not sure how it works.

The ideal setup for me, is myself and my partner both have individual accounts with our own cards, and then 1 shared joint account with a different card and separate IBAN for bills and grocery shopping. Is this possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Delta2113

@Yggr of Asgard I also have old travelcard plan until August 2023. What would be the point off an Irish IBAN? I have no intention paying for any plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

No-ones's worried they'll do a Bunq with their money and leave them penniless ?

thanks for the summary @Yggr of Asgard - i have a curve card for paying in non-euro currency although, i have no idea if i would be charged a fee when the curve card takes money out of a bunq account as i dont understand the mechanism. As it stands, i dont get charged by KBC for such transactions so i wuold assume it is seen like a debit card transaction and therefore not subject to fees. When did banking become so complex 😂

No reason to change to an Irish IBAN in my opinion because if I recall doing a sub account on the travel plan means you need to change plan as the travel card did not include any sub accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Delta2113

@Yggr of Asgard - Yes so they are basically trying to get you on a paid plan using this. Not going to happen.

Well, I don't think they really are after us Travelcard (Easy Travel) users (I don't think there are many left), this is a push to get more customers onto their paid services for current accounts and offer full banking services into Ireland where as we all know IBAN discrimination is still rampant. So having an Irish IBAN is a clear advantage over the likes of N26/Revolut.

Also remember that when your travel card expires you can't get a new one, you would need to swap into a paid plan or cancel. I know it's still long before it happens.

My understanding is that Curve is doing the currency conversion for you (with their fees/limits) and charges the chosen card in € so you should be fine as it's done by currency and not location of the charge (UK).

But best to try it out (given that you can get a 30-day trial with Bunq).

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

@Yggr of Asgard Is using cashback free at the likes of Dunnes instead of using an ATM?

Sorry, no idea what the answer to that one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Has anyone had any trouble opening an account today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭archfi

More variety is welcome but a word of caution.

Bunq withdrew services without notice to a feminist women's group in NL last year because of their non-compliance with gender ideology.

I'm not getting into a to-and-fro about gender ideology & women's rights - however, I think it important that people understand when banks do really shítty things and IMO this was a very bad thing and a very undesirable precedent.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

For me it said it would take 5 minutes but changed to 24 hours. May be due to high volume after the announcement today.

Pleasant sign up experience so far though.

I agree. This is one thing that makes me wary of using these banks as my main account. I have read many accounts of N26 disabling customer accounts with no warning and when queried they state "suspicious activity". With these banks there is no way to walk into a branch and kick up a fuss to get access to your money. Unfortunately with the lack of real choice in Ireland you are left with antiquated banks who dont move with the times, banks the fleece you with monthly charges and transaction fees or these "fin-tech" offerings. Ulster Bank & KBC exiting really gave the consumer in Ireland a sucker-punch

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When you keep demanding free stuff you should not be surprised when the answer is no. Two banks are leaving the market because it was unprofitable and the non traditional banks are also reporting losses. The banking sector is entering a period of consolidation across Europe, there will be job losses and further closures until we get to a point where the remaining players will be in a position to charge realistic fees. So enjoy the frees and cheap services for as long as you can...

Irish banks are not better nor worse than those in mainland Europe. I certainly hope they don't keep up with the trends, because the latest trend is to cull loss making customers and only provide the minimum legal requirement - a basic payment account.

Clearly if you read my posts in this thread i am not demanding "free stuff". The fact that I am conversing about a bank that only offers monthly payment offers (no new free current accounts) confirms the same.

What i was stating in my post that you quoted was that I would be happy to move (and pay) for the service offered by the fintech banks such as N26/Bunq as these offer products that allow for a high number of transactions without charging for the same. This would suit my use-case (multiple low value transactions) but i am worried about how quick (n26 in my example) they have been known to stop access to accounts and are only contactable via email/social media channels in these events. This being a "public forum" I was hoping that others with actual experiences may chime in rather than being scolded for 'demanding' freebies.

Without wanting to stray too off-topic, forgive me for not wanting to prop up one of the Irish "pillar banks" by paying quartely fees on top of per transaction fees, (example AIB €4.50 / quarter + (€0.20 per transaction |€0.30 per ATM transaction) just because they are not "better or worse than those in mainland Europe". I am simply attempting to reduce the amount of fees I will pay rather than just accepting "it is what it is" just as any Joe Public not flush with cash should do. Competition is healthy and customers should vote with their feet. Unfortunately many in this country open an account with bank A and stick with it for life because "that is what they have always done". Perhaps my stint of banking in the UK were banking was free to the end user (as long as you stay in credit and don't incur any fees [which were insanely hefty]) still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when i compare it to here. That being said, just because Irish banks are on par with other EU banks doesnt mean we shouldnt ask/strive for better.

Hopefully some of those who have signed up to Bunq let us know how they get on with them in time. I will be watching this thread with interest although may now have to think twice before commenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

As a savings account like the departed Rabo, how will it work out I wonder? Presume interest rates low but could rise with increase in ECB rates?

"High interest savings account"

0.09% interest

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

What is the charge for a joint account? €2.99 per month or €5.98 or month?

Seems like 2.99 to me.

If you need an additional Maestro card for your partner it looks like +3.49.

• Advertisement

Account finally opened, took 24 hours.

They didn't like that my electricity bill was digital (PDF). They wanted a scan or photo of a physical letter posted to my house but finally accepted the PDF. I mentioned it's inline with their plant trees/lower CO2 emissions policy and they agreed. :D

Great support! Very human, friendly chat instead of the usual over empathetic service you get everywhere else.

Wondering what to do now. Maybe keep it as a free savings account for salary and direct billing, and send funds to my free N26 account for daily banking?

Don't mind the 2.99/m fee as the app and features look decent.

Post edited by Amik on

Advertisement