Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Wasn’t Violet Anne warned recently they “hadn’t gone away”

I suppose it now depends on the situation if you get a gang of heavies or a legal document to make sure you shut up saying negative things about SF

What a glorious party they are

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

it's not fair for the media to continue it's crusade against Sinn Fein, the days of extortion, taxing drug dealers, drug dealing, smuggling, murdering witnesses, murdering gardai, covering up paedophilia etc. are all in the past, Sinn Fein are a party of the people if we look after them they will look after us you know yourselves free houses, free education free healthcare. I hope Mary Lou wins her case and the irish media get it into their heads to leave them well alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If only we had an example of a real Taoiseach attempting to silence the media by threatening to sue. hmmmmm what you think Seamus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Economics101

I love your sarcasm, but there quite a few people who believe that sh*t. Scary, in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

This is typical of sinn fein. Earlier this week in my local council (Craigavon) they all walked out because they could not railroad other council members into having the normally public council meeting in a private setting because a couple of items on the agenda were confidential.

Seems the items involved some embezzlement of funds.

Wonder what party was involved?

SDLP and DUP wanted to stay in public sitting.

This is the way of sinn fein now. Stifle free speech. A bit Putinistic.

As for their "archive" which they claimed was deleted as it was to make more space on their server. It was at most 200mb and probably less than 100mb. That's literally a drop in the ocean in web terms.

What are sinn fein hiding from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

she's a pleb

• Registered Users Posts: 19,268 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Do you not understand the difference between making a complaint and legal action?

Anything else you'd like to include? Perhaps firebombing a journalists house in retaliation for asking an awkward question that needed to be asked in the public interest would be considered to be a legitimate "complaint" for some parties? Equal to sending a strongly worded letter

A former Taoiseach, Tanaiste and Taoiseach elect recently threatening to sue? You really need to be reminded?

Here's just a quick google of it happening before:

Taoiseach threatens to sue a Radio station:

Ceisteanna—Questions. Oral Answers. - Legal Proceedings. – Dáil Éireann (27th Dáil) – Wednesday, 5 Jun 1996 – Tithe an Oireachtais (oireachtas.ie)

Albert Reynolds famously sued a newspaper/

Brian Cowen threatened to sue over his own 'Golfgate' when he was Taoiseach

Dev did too.

Mary Lou would not be unusual if she sued or threatened to sue as Taoiseach therefore Seamus.

I must say I am surprised at the number of posters willing to support tactics which are ultimately trying to intimidate and silence people speaking up about alleged sexual abuse

• Advertisement

If somebody is actually lied about Donald, what recourse do you think they should have?

Reynolds sued an English newspaper for calling him a liar. Which is not comparing like with like here.

BTW, Reynolds won a massive* payout. Not only did he win that massive payout, when he appealed it, on appeal, he was awarded 100x the original payout!!!!

(*I may be using the word massive sarcastically .... but he did win)

Very good. So Albert Reynolds sued a paper. It was wrong then.

Brian Cowen didn't threaten to sue any media.

John Bruton denies the claim.

DeValera was an asshole, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

It's also telling that to find these examples you had to dig right back to the archives, to an Ireland with a far more corrupt and authoritarian political class than we have now. Modern politicians don't engage in this practice - why.

Basically your contention here is that it's OK to do it because Albert Reynolds and (allegedly) De Valera did to.

My contention is that it is concerning and ethically dubious in all these cases. Your defence is that Mary-Lou (and Sinn Féin) are at best, no worse than Fianna Fáil of the 1990s.

Not a glowing CV.

The two Shinners maligned by markodaly also 'won' damages. Were the courts wrong or what is it you are saying?

Not what I asked. I have no idea what the case is about.

I asked you a general questiion.

If somebody is actually lied about Donald, what recourse do you think they should have?

Well, you are the one making spurious claims about the uniqueness of SF making threats to sue.

A cursory dip in the archives show different.

What was the lie?

The only thing that was mentioned on thread was that there was a reference to women who were abused/assaulted by members of SF?

Do you think that there are exactly zero women who have ever been abused or assaulted by members of SF?

Did Gerry's oul' fella not pay his dues? I'll admit that you couldn't categorize the victims that were admitted to (or at least being accepted as true) as women at the time of his actions. But only due to their age

I made no such claim. You came up with that all on your own.

Typical Francie, strawman builder extraordinaire. Always with the false claims about what other people said.

Anyway, at least we know now that you're happy with Sinn Féin having a political maturity level on a par with the Haughey and Reynolds era. When we find them embezzeling money and threatening Gardai and journalists, it won't be a shock.

I will wait, as I said way back, for the details to emerge before passing opinion on MLMD's claim, as you all should really.

• Advertisement

It depends on the scenario Francie.

If a person is a public figure who is given literally hours of airtime on any major media outlet she wants to, then she can use that to respond in kind.

Is someone lied about MLMD then surely people know what the lie was? Here we have a scenario where a public broadcaster apparently is accused of doing something, and despite it being public, nobody knows what it was. So that kind of defeats the claim in itself anyway.

Is it just SF people who should avail of the strict rules you want? Or would the likes of Varadkar also be entitlted to the same protection? I see a lot of stuff written about him and his dealings with handing over material he shouldn't hve. Should be not be allowed to mention that or ask about that?

We all are aware of the stories where the local "unofficial organisation" man does what he wants with impunity and gets away with it because of his position in that "organisation". It would be very sinister to be trying to supplant that to the national level.

Sure you didn't Seamus, sure! 😁

Anyway, yes, a potential future Taoiseach using the legal system to try and bully media into silence is concerning. This is what SF are doing now.

Thanks, yep, that's what I said. Right there for anyone who understands English to see. I assume you will be apologising for lying and claiming and I made any reference to this being "unique"?

Please answer the general question asked Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Best of luck to SF and Mary Lou. The anti sinn feinn agenda that our MSM push is tired and of no relevance.

That was an answer. Just not whatever one you wanted.

If MLMD is debating LV tomorrow on radio and MLMD asks LV whether he passed on confidential information, the appropriate response would not be for him to pull the plug on all the mics and run up to the High Court and file a summons against RTE. Because he has a right of response and the public have a right to have questions asked and answered

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

there´s no anti SF agenda. there is an anti bullshit aagenda. many people despise SF because, and wait i don´t want to be sued, a group they knew in passing , the IRA (which has no known links to SF and is a completely different organisation) planted bombs in pubs, killed women and children, murdered gardai, robbed banks, covered up paedophiles and rapists etc. it just happens that some of those ex IRA lads still hang around in SF or even get elected on their tickets. but look sure, the past is the past. ho hum, a party of peace now. whats the IRA got to do with SF. move on etc.

Its highly ironic that SF want to use nuances of laws when the victims of the IRA had no such recourse . it was just a bullet, and a grave in the wilderness or a memorial in a garden. but that was a ¨war¨, this is post war politics which is of course all about fairness etc.

and its the balls to act as if the above didn´t happen that have many of us actively despise such a group. thats before you even get to the fantasy stuff.

i will say it is hypocritical of people in the ROI to chastise SF and then implore unionists to work with them etc.

IF SF weren´t such plebs then people like myself mught give them a pass. If they had a truth and reconcilation process, if they were more mature and less insular, less polarising then yeah i´d say the past is the past. but they can´t let go of it themselves, so why should others?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

Bertie Ahern sued politics.ie for defamation iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

If people can´t see the difference between questioning insidious kangeroo courts and a general defamation case, and why its important, there´s no helping anyone here. Ahern is Ahern, so should be excluded from the conversation.

• and people did question Reynolds on his case etc. the first paragraph shows this, rest is behind paywall.

Its basically getting to the stage where SF will try to sue anybody without dail privelege who mentions the ¨war¨. setting up the groundwork for a GE that will be bitter. and anybody who mentions the war could potentially be sued. again if they gave up their past, cut links nobody would care. but the fact they don´t makes them **** hypocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

So Mary Lou is suing RTE for saying something which is true, as I already said the picture of Mary Lou walking alongside one of the RTE members who was part of the "investigation" into her rape case couldn't have come at a worse time.

So this thread has from minute one had the usual people trying to deflect off the topic, which IF Mary Lou was right to sue you would expect them to have no issue actually discussing the topic.

The poor me from Sinn Fein and online supporters is getting boring, nobody has a vendetta against them in the press, if anything the government parties can feel more aggrieved than anyone which Sinn Fein for a significant period able to do interviews in the media without any hard questions, once the hard questions started like "who will pay for that" suddenly the media had a vendetta.

I will give the supporters a quick tip why some people don't like Sinn Fein, here are some of the reasons

1. The numbers don't add up and never had
    2. The "tax the rich" is a pile of poo
    3. Removing the LPT will only hurt everyone in Ireland
    4. The "TD's" they have couldn't make a decision if they had to, recently shown when Eoin went onto TV without Mary Lou beside him and was a disaster
    5. The absolute mess they made of Northern Ireland
    6. the list goes on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement