Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I dont know what this jumping on people who dont find Alison Spittle funny is all about. Some people have to label everyone I guess.

Alison Spittle is not funny. Some other unattractive female comedians are funny. I find Rebel Wilson funny for example. Equally some attractive female comedians are not funny. Deirdre O'Kane for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I think when one not-particularly-famous female comedian is pilloried in this thread in particular it's fair to say that's more to it then an absence of yuk-yuks. In other words if one comedian is a lightning rod for criticism above all I think there's more to the criticism than meets the eye.

I believe that Spittle has become a figurehead for many angry men who don't like a "woke," "undoubtedly unattractive" woman invading the boy's club that is stand up comedy.

What I sawe, and i read the thread was that someone suggested unfunny comedians and she was one of them. not even the top one to be fair. Then a load of people came in and accused people of being mysoginist, actually using her name to make their point, which everyone can see through. The problem here is the people using one person to label everyone else and not even seeing that they are being totally out of line in using her name in that manner.

She isnt funny, but she shouldnt be used in the way people are using her in this thread to label people mysoginist and god knows what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Well this thread escalated fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭griffin100

Can you post a funny Alison Spittle video please.

"I believe that Spittle has become a figurehead for many angry men who don't like a "woke," "undoubtedly unattractive" woman invading the boy's club that is stand up comedy."

And that's just it.

You believe something that has no basis in reality.

In fact, despite people saying explicitly that the reason people don't find her funny is that her jokes are ****, you have chosen to believe that men don't like her because she is an unattractive woman.

That's just your projection. You have no evidence of it. You have the people you are accusing of this, literally saying that you are wrong and explaining their reasoning.

You want it to be about sexism, misogyny and anti-wokeness so much that you are creating accusations out of nothing, just so you can level baseless accusations against posters you disagree with.

I'm sure there are people who don't like Alison Spittle because of her looks or her "woke" opinions, but on this thread, I have seen very little to back up your assertion that there are many angry men who have adopted her as a figurehead.

"I think when one not-particularly-famous female comedian is pilloried in this thread in particular it's fair to say that's more to it then an absence of yuk-yuks. In other words if one comedian is a lightning rod for criticism above all I think there's more to the criticism than meets the eye"

Not particularly famous female comedian? It's a thread about unfunny Irish comedians. She is one of the most famous female comedians and happens to be, in a lot of peoples opinions, one of the worst.

And not a word about Jason Byrne? He has been getting abuse too. But no, its only the women you need to defend.

The fact that you assume that the criticism directed towards her about how unfunny she is, is about her weight or her looks or her gender just shows how much you desperately want it to be about misogyny.

Might it be possible that a lot of people don't find her funny, because she is not funny? No no, much more likely that it's an angry men's conspiracy to take down wokeness and keep women down?

When you don't have an enemy to rail against and prove how progressive and socially aware you are, create one.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Her tv show ‘Nowhere Fast’ is well worth a watch.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

What an outburst!

You clearly have some bee in your bonnet about Jason Byrne as well. Well if it makes you feel any better I'm not a fan of his.

Why do you not like him? Why do so many people not like him?

I'd wager it's because you don't find him funny or find his comedy annoying.

Now why oh why couldn't the same apply to Alison Spittle? Because it doesn't suit your imagined scenario of angry men.

(Hardly an outbutst either. Just a response to your post. On a discussion forum.

Almost as if I could see into the future:

"!If I disagree with something, I am accused of being "outraged" or "angry" or some other such extreme in order to infer that my opinion is coming from one of emotion rather than reason in an attempt to discredit my posts.")

• Advertisement

After Hours really has become the pits. It's meant to be a more relaxed and a bit of fun. Yet we have posters being accused of sexism misogyny just because they find a female comedian unfunny.

Just ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

On a side note, are there any new funny Irish comedians I'd should know of?

Tony Cantwell, Justine Stafford, Shane Byrne, Emma Doran and Peter McGann to name but a few.

Why do you keep trying to engage with me? I’m not interested in your wind-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Is ‘#bekind’ in the footer the new ‘pronouns’ in the Twitter profile?

It's more often than not, an easy way to quickly identify bandwagon-jumping, self-professed progressives.

Ironically, the people who tend to use this hashtag are, quite often, the least kind and most passive aggressive ****-stirrers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yet, again despite your signature, you keep replying to me.

"Be kind"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's also ironic that the poster/s who complain about the imaginary angry men are the angriest users of all.

LOL!

Aanyway, back to the thread topic.

Alison Spittle is still exceptionally unfunny and is a very poor comedian. I have seen or heard nothing from her that contradicts that pretty popular opinion.

Jason Byrne is also very unlikable, some of his jokes are alright, but his delivery and habit of pulling faces is incredibly annoying

Dave McSavage is an odious person and thoroughly unappealing, but despite himself, The Savage Eye had some genuinely laugh out loud moments. But when weighed up against his terrible standup and this particular clip, I still think he is unfunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua2DSjX-9MQ

• Advertisement

Just finished watching the first episode of ‘Nowhere Fast’. Some attractive ladies including the mother but not particularly funny.

I see from IMDb that Ms Spittle has a writing credit on this.

I wonder did Alison write the line about the Scampi Fries being like ‘fish pillows’?

Lots of ‘jokes’ about suicide and a few about an abortion.

I find it ironic that, in the effort to attack men, under the pretence of defending Alison Spittle, they are actual;l;y using the poor girl as fodder to escalate simply finding a comedian unfunny, into a hate crime to accuse specifically men of. And to to this Alison Spittle is her tool because of her looks and sex.

But she isnt unfunny because of her looks and her sex. She is unfunny because people dont find her funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Aisling Bea can be thrown into the mix😐️ as funny as a cut nipple

Colm O'Regan. About as funny as a bout of gastroenteritis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That Farmer Michael guy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slideways

As funny as a worldwide pandemic.

Jesus suffering Christ, can she not read a room. Lead balloons and Atlantic crossing vessels sinking on their maiden voyage spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Has Karl Spain been mentioned? Jokes about riding the hecklers mother and eating biscuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Darren Conway, the fella screaming at the crisps in that advert.

Advertisement