Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Protests - Dublin 11 April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Dont think I've gotten into the office quicker. M50 is clear was clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Easter school holidays and that WFH is a standard option for many most likely.

Sums up Ireland today and Beards.ie if I'm honest.

Ths negativity against the protest here is astounding.

These people are at least getting out there and making a stand.

Everyone is aware taxes are needed however it's taking advantage at this stage.

People here saying it's pointless the Dail is off etc and theres a war on seem happy to pay it must have loads of money.

Everyone knows the TDs watch social media and main stream so this will get traction.

Pointless or not fair play to the truckers and I would wish that the selfish naysayers on here would look at the bigger picture for once and not their own journeys.

Sure take the bike to work as most appear anti vehicle with loads of money to buy EVs.

Because we all know EV power is made by fairies.

Rural ireland does not have busses or trains like the capital. We dont have cycle lanes or a network like Dublin

People rely on their cars they need them. People and families are struggling when will it stop?

Taking fuel VAT on unit price on both heating and vehicle should be capped and the carbon tax removed.

The government should cut their cloth to measure and not spend outside their means.

Fairplay to the truckers and if I could afford the time and money to drive up I would support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You want Ireland to invade an oil rich middle eastern country so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why would we need to invade an oil rich middle eastern country? Are they setting our ridiculous tax policies? Are they the reason Standing Charges are rising to crazy levels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sums up boards.ie and Ireland but it's ok for you to not join them as you haven't got the time.

The negativity against the protest does not reflect Ireland or attitudes but that people just don't support it.

Fuel prices are completely beyond the control of the government and they have already reduced 20ct off a litre and also offered relief to hauliers per truck.

As you say a country has to raise taxes so anything cut off for petrol has to be made up somewhere else.

Also, calling for Eamon Ryan to resign for basically giving some practical advice is just personalizing it as he is nothing to do with the prices at the moment.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ah yeah the old ‘anyone against this must have loads of money’ argument.

Nice generalisation there. This protest won’t achieve anything except pissing people off. That’s why I’m annoyed becauae I’ll be caught up in it everyday burning all the petrol out of my car while they block the entire city.

Their demands are astronomical. How would you pay it? If they came with anything reasonable I’d have more support but they’re looking for prices to go back to 2009.

Last time this stunt was pulled cancer patients missed their appointments. But f*ck them, eh? They must be loaded so it doesn’t matter.

Pure ignorant bile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭Allinall

Idiots wasting fuel driving empty trucks into Dublin to complain about fuel prices.

Did I say they were idiots? Well they are idiots.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"getting out there and making a stand" by disrupting other peoples lives.

We have cheap fuel by European standards as it is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly, Eamonn Ryan has nothing to do with this and has pretty much no control over taxation. He wasn't even involved in the carbon taxes. He is just used by people with no clue as a stick to wave around while moaning about government policy. To my knowledge Ryan also owns a car.

As for grinding the place to a "**** halt for 10 days" - are you mental? You really want a bunch of anonymous protesters to risk the economy over this? How many jobs would that affect? Is that what you want or was your childish post simply the voice of a 10 year old trying to feel like they are William Wallace?

The fact that they chose to protest when the Dáil is in recess shows that there isn't much brain power behind this group.The fact that they think staying anonymous is beneficial to their cause shows that there is no PR skills there, there is no one figure to be interviewed on the news. Also their threats of protest until they get what they want is pretty much in line with someone hijacking a plane - the line that "governments won't negotiate with terrorists" springs to mind. The government of Ireland are presumably thinking to themselves that this is a bunch of numpties who will piss off the public and will serve to distract from something else - time for them to release some bad news.

Whatever about the merits of protesting against the costs of fuel these days, this particular protest is a poorly thought out idea and seems to have been "organised" by pretty thick people (but I guess it seems to have the support of some pretty thick people also).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Classic armchair cheerleader. Excuses excuses.

You could buy and burn out a chunk of fuel at the very least in solidarity but you wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting comment on the reddit thread. Since when does Ireland call its hauliers, "truckers?" That's a US term. Wonder whose stirred this sh1te up.

Absolute nonsense. VAT on fuel is 23%, so if it was around €1 it'd be 23c a litre, €1.50 it would be 34c a litre. So if the war hadn't happened it wouldn't be at around 46c a litre. Almost double what it was previously. They could easily reduce the VAT and still take in what they would normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cycled in this morning. Roads lovely and clear. Might be the mid term break as well, lots of people away and schools off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I hope they block the cycle lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

With schools shut and people working from home traffic seems OK went up and m50 no problem . Looks like folk stayed at home if they could .I know we are passive with regard to actually getting out and protesting but this one is a waste time and fuel for these guys . They will achieve nothing bar a negative reaction in general .

Sale of Turf ban proposed from Sept 1

crazy

Have a re-read of their demands, particularly around what they want fuel capped at.

Either invasion, or new tax and/or increases or cuts in spending on everything else in the state,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know the thought of people using bikes keeps you awake at night, but the fact that most cycle lanes are blocked by motor vehicles most of the time anyway means people are well used to it, plus you can just go around things on a bike. You really are spiteful when it comes to these things.

• Advertisement

Yeah it might seem a bit iffy but some of the guys I'm familiar with who drive lorries like to play out a 70s convoy fantasy. The majority (who won't be there today) just drive for work but there's a sizeable subculture there too.

This is where the passivity of the Irish really plays out though. As you say, there's massive gouging going on but all those gougers will still be in business with the same customers in 2/5/10 years time with the same customers. The petrol stations that clearly put up prices? They'll lose nothing. The suppliers sitting on supplies, no-one will do anything.

I don't know how it's going to play out in the end but we've had a huge imbalance in the economy and prices for over a decade now. Some people don't seem to think there's such a thing as food being too cheap but it has been for a long time and the increases in energy (and chemical) inputs is going to mean the last 20 years of price suppression is going to lead a big bounceback. How high it goes and how high it stays will depend on things well outside most of our control.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just listening to Claire Byrne and Haulier on, whilst I'm neutral on these protests it's now transpiring that Fuel Grant that was promised weeks ago to Hauliers hasn't even kicked in and it was only late last week emails received about how to apply 😳

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Sure as no doubt you whinged yourself, they're not used anyway so will make no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is Beards.ie a new Site 🤣

Just kidding and in agreement with you 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭touts

Lorraine Nolan from the Irish Hauliers Association is on Claire Byrne now saying that they shouldn't blockade the city. "That is going too far". Instead she wants hauliers to just park up for a week and refuse to move anything around the country because then people will start to run out of food and demand change.

There is a woman with her priorities totally fucked up. Don't stop people going to work. Starve them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

They've decided to block the east link.

I don't know what attendance is like but I suspect it's well down on the number that pledged to go.

Thick people wouldn't understand that this week was chosen as kids are off school, there isn't as much traffic on the roads and there would be less traffic disrupted than if they did it on a non-Mid Term week. Thick people wouldn't understand that while politicians aren't in an actual building in Dublin, they aren't locked away with no access to the news or social media, and will still see what's happening, as if them sitting, or in some cases, sleeping in Dail Eireann matters.

Then you mention "the economy", who do you think runs the economy? When you look at a factory, who delivers a) the raw materials? b) the finished produce? When you look at a supermarket, who delivers the goods? When you look at a building site, who delivers the bricks, heavy machinery? Pretty much every industry in Ireland relies on truck drivers in some way, shape or form.

The "official" Road Hauliers Association has told their members just to pass the costs down the line, so to the farmer, the Tesco/Supervalu, the builder, the factory, the local corner shop. They are then expected to pass it onto the people of Ireland who are pinned to their collar already. Do we protest when the price of bread get to €3/4/5, a kilo of spuds are €10 or when a tin of beans is €3.

We're just out of 2 years of "protecting the elderly and the vulnerable" and now it's 'there's nothing we can do for these people can't afford heating/food.' Maybe inflation needs a catchy slogan like Covid had, that might convince the non-thicko's that it is a protest worth getting behind.

Only a thick person wouldn't realise the correlation between the cost of sourcing and delivering food and the price of the fuel needed to deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Another damp squib it seems.

Demanding the resignation of Eamonn Ryan has a bang of petulance off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I assume its the long game... i hope it works as fuel has big bearing on food costs...

Oddly enough its helping climate change as so much less traffic...

Advertisement