Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a property without Planning Permission

Options
  • 23-02-2022 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi

If the original Planning Permission granted on a property cannot be located via the planning office.

What implications does this have on the sale of said property?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The actual file can’t be located or there’s no record of planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Was the house built pre 1963/4?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd imagine the buyer wouldn't get a mortgage on it. No difference to a cash buyer

I'd have to guess that the best thing would be to regularise it by applying for retention now. I'd imagine it would be a mere formality.

Timeline for enforcement is 6 years so no danger of that. But it could also cause hassle if further planning permission was needed for something else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unmortgagable. So will only sell to a cash purchaser, which for nearly all properties will destroy the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it genuinely had planning, there will be a record somewhere.

Just last week, I had a struggle locating one from early 80s.

At that time, they hand recorded file numbers on paper maps. The one I was looking for was written on the margin and so had been lost from all scans and copies of the original. We had to dig out the old dusty original maps and sure enough was found.

I'd say try again but some planning authorities make searching difficult with files needing to be requested in advance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,877 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As stated by mickdw there would be a record if permission was ever granted. My local council keep old ledgers that details were entered into and then there is the manager's orders which is the legal document showing details of the granting by a county manager. These managers orders are duplicated and kept in separate departments.

Is there a reference number available? Has the original applicant been contacted or his architect of engineer or even his solicitor?

UPDATE: Vendors solicitor has just issued draft contracts stating that the planning permission cannot be found and one of the vendors, who has only owned the property for two years is going to give a declaration to cover such, dating back to when the property was built! The new owner inherited the property. It is a mortgage purchaser. Any experience with this type of scenario or input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Is this normal behaviour for a solicitor, knowing it's a mortgage buyer to be pushing on regardless irrespective of not being able to provide any evidence of planning? The solicitor has deleted the full clause RE: Planning Permission.

Tagged: selling, planning permission, conveyancing

I don't see any issue with solicitor for vendor trying to get it sold under whatever conditions exist.

It is for you and your solicitor to look after your interests and for your bank to look out for themselves also.

Other than a declaration stating that the property was constructed prior to planning legislation (1964), and that no works have been carried out since then, I can't see any other kind of declaration being in any way acceptable. It seems to date that they are claiming planning exists so as far any bank would be concerned, I can't see any kind of owner declaration being of any use in that case in the absence of the planning file.

• Advertisement

Agree, and understand, vendor solicitor will try and see would be my thinking. I just frankly find it incredible to make such a sweeping assertion on a legal contract, that for most people is the biggest investment they ever make in their lives! The solicitor states they have carried out "extensive" searches and that the planning office have destroyed the records. I take all that with a massive pinch of salt.

Property was constructed in the 1970's, so well after the prior to '64 rule!

Planning departments DONT destroy records. I suspect your solicitor isnt telling the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Don't waste any more time.If the original application,file number and grant of permission can't be found either by yourself or council.Apply for retention.No need to involve solr or anyone else.New buyer won't get a mortgage without it.A cash buyer is only postponing the inevitability of having to apply for retention themselves and might come back to you.

My sentiment exactly, I couldn't believe what I was reading in the draft contract!

I believe you are the buyer in this deal.

As I said, this declaration won't cut it or worse it will be fraudulent so no use to you in any event.

Walk away or insist on a professional report on the planning situation and if still no record found, walk away.

100% agree, and thanks for giving the peace of mind providing this confirmation.

Thank you for this, I'm not the direct buyer but I'm very close to the situation, there is an awful lot involved in this and what I have witnessed to date has most certainly been paramount to fraudulent behaviour by the vendors solicitor.

I'm very surprised this type of thing goes on! Most certainly a learning curve!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’m not really sure what you’re issue is OP?

You don't seem to understand that anything can be sold if a buyer is willing to accept it.

Property with poor or non existing title can be sold if buyer is willing to pay for it.

It is for the buyers solicitor to mind their interests and advise. If the buyers own solicitor was advising that a bullshit declaration from the seller was all good, then I would be getting worried.

If a bank is involved, they will mind their own interest also.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Planning departments don't. Councils do however have a habit of things disappearing, sometimes on a wholesale basis. Some councils have very poor records of planning permissions, especially before the 1990s.

• Advertisement

That is not my experience having worked in this area for the last 20 years.

You will regularly find some missing docs but typically the reference will be found at the very least to confirm planning was applied for.

I think the managers order record also contains the ref and basic description.

Agreed.

I've spent (some would say wasted) 40 years in the business and during that time I have carried out hundreds of planning searches both for myself and on behalf of various law searchers and I never failed to get details of a planning application.

We are always a step ahead of the posse here in Donegal!!!

Thanks, I understand.

And you make a very good point RE: "bullshit declaration", as that is exactly what it is, and as you say if the buyers solicitor is swayed to condone it, there is a very serious problem here!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The original planning docs for the housing estate I live in were AWOL in the council offices for about a decade. I was told they've been found but the public online file is still a scan of a "film missing" card! Reference, confirmation that it was granted, and extremely basic abstract are all that are on that system.

(estate planned late 60s/built early 70s; they have the docs for a rejected extension to the estate from a year or so later)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Indeed it seems to depend on the county council. When selling my parents house there was a difficulty in finding planning permission for an extension built in the 1970's. Our solicitor mentioned that Westmeath county council were particular poor in keeping older records.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Myself and my brother bought a house about 5 years ago where they couldnt find the planning permission.

The bank was insisting on it before giving us the loan, but in the end produced a document for us to sign stating that we were aware that there was no planning permission found. We applied for retention which was fast enough and then did the house up and sold it on.

A lot of people stayed away from it because of the lack of PP, so we got it cheap.

Another house we flipped, they couldnt find planning permission either but we (i mean our solicitor) got a letter from then stating that they were aware that planning permission had been given but could not locate it. They didnt even have a reference number. But that letter was fine and we got a mortgage on that too, renovated it and flipped it after getting retention.

Its quite common with older houses as far as i can tell.

Interesting, your experience to date compared to a lot of what has been said to date on this thread! ... I agree with mickdw when he says the bank will look after their own interests.

I take it the bank knew you and your brother were buying these to flip as a commercial venture? And had possibly flipped properties prior to these investments also?

Do you mind me asking which bank(s) approved these mortgages?

Post edited by GreenGrass2019 on

Ya I'd imagine your standing with the bank and the knowledge that you were specifically flipping the property at a profit helped but I'm still surprised because there is always the possibility of a planning issue arising and the bank getting drawn into a sh1t storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Both of those were with AIB.

But I do believe that it is common for PP to be lost. At least thats what the solicitor lead me to believe. When I heard it first i thought it was going to be an issue but it wasnt. There are ways to get around it that are done commonly. Ask your solicitor can you get a letter (dont know the correct name for it) from the council to say that they have lost the planning permission but agree that there is a building there. Im not explaining it well - Anyway, your solicitor should be able to tell you what to get to sort it.

Let them do the job you pay them to do.

• Advertisement

I'd be thinking the same as mickdw, as this was a commercial venture and you were doing it with your brother, they looked at it differently, as you mentioned you got it "cheap".

I'm not the buyer, but I'm very close to it all. The buyer is buying it as a home, and not to flip or as an investment, so there isn't the same comfort in this for a bank as in your scenario, that the property will be brought into compliance and sold on and that they will get back their money in a relatively short period of time with a property that is now compliant and up to regulation!

Advertisement