Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's Day Thursday March 17th 2022 Day Three Cheltenham+ Down Royal, Hexham, S'well & Wolves

Options
  • 16-03-2022 3:51pm

Going change has annoyed me so much.. I was lethargic enough anyway, but that 'non-signposted' MASSIVE GOING CHANGE (today's racing at Cheltenham) really disencouraged me from perusing form

anyhow,, besta luck 😊

Comments

Time for a pick.. some pick,, any pick,,, anywhere,,

C'ham looks very tricky,, calmer waters will try

8.15 Southwell

A few of these stepping up from recent runs over 5f,, The most interesting one of all is Willie Haggas' True Icon, who had a facile victory lto at Lingfield over 6fs,,, time weren't great, but won easy all the same,, different surface too tomorrow,,, I'm siding with another one though:

ALASKAN JEWEL 14/1 PP ew NB

looks like one that should stay based on recent attempts over 5f,, has the look of one that might have a bit of wiggle room as regards h'cap mark..

chance another i suppose, as likely 4 places a fifth on offer,,

COTAI GREY 14/1 gen

this one, along with Alaskan Jewel, also looks overpriced here,, wasn't far away at all over 6f at Thirsk lto,, represents one of the smaller stables here, coming from Jedd O'Keeffe's yard, and has a 6mth layoff to overcome,, price makes up for that tho,,

onto one I aint so sure about,, Raydoun ~ 4/1 might be vulnerable coming from box 10, and if at that price or shorter tomorrow, I'd have Roger Fell's colt as a place-lay,,, another place-lay prospect NAP is the 11/4 jolly Justcallmepete,, first time in a h'cap, but regardless of that, I can't see how he goes close here, tho ye olde horse having 1st run in a handicap has often obliged before at shortish odds, even if the previous 3 or so runs didn't see 'em to good effect,, at 3s or shorter to win, is worth laying for 3 or 4 places imo..

Will give a 'favourable mention' to Tudor Queen ~ 12s, who likes look one to keep an eye on... no real opinion on Richard Hughes' Crush And Run ~ 7/2, who won over shorter lto at Lingfield,, could go well, but has a high draw in box 12 to contend with, so doesn't jump off page @ a best priced 4/1..

gluck all punting boardsies and Happy St Patrick's Day to us all 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Onlymatteroftime

4.50 Say Goodbye 25/1

Finished really strongly on first race of the DRF(Sunday) to come 2nd behind Party Central under 2 lengths. He has a 5lb pull at the weights with this horse. Looks like great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,639 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

El Barra

Champ

Hors Piste

E/W Acc

6.00 Wolverhampton

two here at favourable prices

Joint best jockey in this race Simon Walker (Miss Serena Brotherton also takes part here in this amateurs' race) rides topweight and ~ 7/4 jolly Majeski Man for John O'Shea,, he won well lto on his first ever run in England, when making all over course and distance,, Was drawn lowest of all in stall 1 that day, but tomorrow may see him have competition for that lead, and his draw aint quite as favourable as he's jumping out of box five tomorrow,,, being an amateurs' race, his burden will be compounded by having to lump a welter burden of 11-8,, deserves to be favourite all the same, but has enough ?? against him imo, and I wouldn't be interested even at double his current odds..

another what i feel is vulnerable here is recent C & D winner Glorious Charmer @ ~ 4/1,, if held up, he doesn't usually quite seem to get there, and if racing prominent, then he'll have competition for the lead, and/or hit the front too soon,, an amateur race on the AW, so nothing can be ruled out, but i gotta ask meself: "if i was 'chasing' and just wanted to lump on summit, would i really want to back any of the two here, at their available odds, or bigger even?" in cold light of day, it would be a solid NO!

t'picks

SILVER DOLLAR 10/1 gen e/w

came 4th lto in a maiden over c & d when running keen,,, hopefully the first time cheekpieces can get him to focus on the job here,, is drawn in two, so if breaking on terms, he'd have to have a right good chance here,,, if i hadn't given away NAP vote to a "place-lay" (not on t'machines, so I cannae even do those bets meself 😄 note to self: "get someone to give ya an 'and with scanning documents and t'like" ) , i'd be giving it to Robert Eddery's grey gelding here.. possible the trip may be a bit sharp going on breeding, but 1st run in a handicap is reason enough to give him proper claims here under, presumably the trainer's son, George Eddery..

CLASHANISKA 7/1 gen e/w

third last time out over c & d but had a professional on top,, don't know anything about the amateur Matthew Wilson, but the horse can go well from a hold-up ride, and being drawn in 7 with a lot of likely pace on, then young Mr Wilson may see t'field coming back to him round home bend,, that's the thinking anyway,, would rather have a lil on him, inexperienced jockey notwithstanding, than leave him go unbacked, only to see him oblige at a fair (tho not overly generous) and working man/woman's price.. plus i put him up lto as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭BQQ

pathetic turnout for the Turners Novice chase

Can't understand it. There's nearly 5k sterling for 5th place and prizemoney down to 8th

Leaving a horse in the Gold cup at first scratching and 5 day declaration stages would only cost you about 2k (Would be less for this)

and yet - Not a single british trainer willing to pick money off the ground

smh

• Advertisement

• I have a quad of;

Facile Vega

Bob Olinger

Allaho

Dinoblue

@26/1

I'll probably keep the rest of my powder dry for Elimay in Mares' Chase on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

1:30: Bob Olinger 10/11 (multiples)

2:10: Sassy Yet Classy 12/1 e/w

2:50: Allaho 4/7 (multiples)

3:30: Royal Kahala 6/1 e/w

4:10: The Glancing Queen 3/1

4:50: Grangee 7/1 e/w

5:30: Omar Maretti 12/1 e/w

Think I will give these a go tomorrow. Ground conditions have become a factor so hopefully a few of these will relish the softer going we now have. Royal Kahala is one such horse – I was drawn to Thyme Hill but gave Peter Fahey's mare the nod factoring in the conditions. Taking a chance that Grangee can prove herself to be the equal of a lot of the others at the head of the market in the mares' novice after taking a fall last time out. I think Sassy Yet Classy's form is some of the best in the Pertemps coming from competitive Irish handicap hurdles. Omar Maretti possibly another who will relish the ground and seems progressive from his form book. The Glancing Queen looks like a pretty solid favourite in the Plate, so I'm happy to side with her. And in the clash of the day, I'm going with Bob Olinger. Good luck all!

Post edited by howareyakid on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

New course and a dry day expected I can't see the ground being any worse than soft.

2.10 SDB / Tullybeg

2.50 Janidil 7/2 w/o

3.30 Royal Kahala ew

4.10 Fusil Raffles ew

4.50 Dinoblue

5.30 Smoking Gun ew

GL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The weather looks pretty good in Cheltenham today, they said this morning the going is soft to heavy in places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Galopin Des champs/ alloha double

2.10 winter fog win only tullybeg e/w

3.30 wide open race, song for someone/ lisnagar Oscar e/w 4 places

Adrimel/ fancy foundations e/w 6 places

4.50 say goodbye/ mighty blue e/w 5 places

Come on teddy/ Mr Coffey e/w 6 places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

What happened to this forum? Place used to be buzzing during Cheltenham.

Yeah we were saying the same thing yesterday. Much quieter compared to other years. Lots of the old regulars on a private members’ forum these days I think.

Paddy power have the reverse forecast of Bob ollinger/ galopin de champs enhanced to evens only €10 max but surely a good thing bar a fall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bleaks

Any good long shots worth a punt today? Couple of free bets to use up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It should be a free Tenner in essence.

Bob Olinger, Allaho and Dinoblue treble to start things off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

bob and allaho 2.67/1

royal kahala 11/2 3.30

celebre dallen 9/2 4.10

omar maretti 9/1 5.30

free bet ew on mindsmadeup 40/1 5.30

Spiritofthegames in the 4:10 was one I thought had a chance at a double figure price. Good bit of money has come for him now though I see - he’s around 11/1 now. ‘Say Goodbye’ could have a decent chance at 20/1 in the 4:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

1.30 Cheltenham, galopin des champs. Even money on the exchange. This is a solid win bet for me. To me the horse looks to have a bright with more big races in it. Olinger, good horse but surely not in the same league as des champs.

Disappointing to see such a small field for this. Surely something has to be done to incentivise trainers and owners to enter horses in these races

Post edited by howareyakid on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,639 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Clear the last and it would have been a clear win.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Omg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

What a shame for Galopin lose it like that because Bob was very well beat. Main thing Galopin is okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

GDS absolutely miles the better horse, made Bob Olinger looked very ordinary. That's racing I guess. Hope GDS is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AhFrayedKnot

galopin des champs a monster no horse on planet earth can do that too Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

That's racing for you. Walsh was renowned for falling on hot pots when clear for mullins, townend at it now.

GDS backers very unlucky there. Great to see the horse back up and walking. He’ll have another day.

• Advertisement

Don’t think he threw himself off on purpose now.

Advertisement