Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly built social homes sitting idle for over 8 months in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I know absolutely nothing about what’s happening here in Wexford btw. That’s why I don’t pretend to know the problems or have the solution on this issue,

Did you read the article? Because it states in it what their problem is

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/news/update-imminent-on-brand-new-belvedere-houses-left-idle-for-months-41239476.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes absolutely - this housing should be given to people who need it, will value it and take care of it. The traveller families have had first option on it, even if on a temporary basis, turned it down - so move on and leave them stew. Wexford CoCo has made an effort to house them - time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No - I don't understand that idea. Treating people equally is all that is required. You propose to treat some more favourably than others. If that were the case across society, few would ever bother their arse to do anything as they would be guaranteed the same as their neighbour. Give me a society or civilisation that has ever managed to successfully organise itself on this basis across all strata in that society.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Andrew, everyone has equality of opportunity to finish school, go to college or take up a trade and get a job. And there are travellers that do both.

But is it the wider societies fault that the vast majority of traveller girls rarely finish school and are married in their teens?

Is it wider societies fault that traveller boys rarely finish school or enter a trade?

When do we start holding Traveller culture to account for these issues. Wider society cannot change this culture. Change needs to come from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The thing about that graphic that's always struck me (I've seen it posted here before - possibly even by yourself) is that maybe the 3 lads should pay for their ticket and be inside the stadium rather than complaining about not being able to see/getting something for free

• Advertisement

One thing about the travelling community that I don’t understand. Their need for horses. 4 wheel drives and Transit vans are their modern method of transport.

Regrading Sulky racing, when did that become part of their culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Any chance we could swap the "refusers" for a few Ukrainians?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's a gimmick to get more for nothing and get the mugs to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So no ramps for wheelchair users then? They can just make do with houses with steps , because treating them equally is all that is required?

• Advertisement

Why would you assume they didn’t pay and are not inside?

So it’s nothing to do with horses and stables then. Going to be lots of disappointed posters round here.

You seem to want to have a broad discussion around social housing, because the points you make have little to do with travellers. I’m no expert, but I guess that the general idea is that we don’t want to have loads of people living on the streets, as in major cities in the US. Apart from the ethical issues, there is also an economic issue, that such people end up costing more in the long term, with policing costs, prison costs, healthcare costs and more. Maybe you’d like to open a discussion on social housing in the appropriate forum, rather than dragging this thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In another thread, it was alleged Ireland really couldn't accept many Ukrainian refugees because there wasn't enough available accommodation.

I just found some. I need to send an email to the guys in Poland wondering how they are going to find accommodation for 787,300 refugees.

I wonder how the council will resond to an email starting: We have 800,000 Ukrainian refugees urgently needing accommodation, we hear you might have some empty houses you could provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

We definitely can’t fund new SUV’s

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭GSBellew

The irony of posting three freeloaders wanting something for nothing is hilarious 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Off you go mate, there’s anything I can do sure let me know, but far as I’m concerned your personal circumstances are none of anyone else’s business.

Well no, it’s never going to be as simple as fcuk the traveller accommodation plan when Councils are eligible to draw down funding specifically to provide accommodation for travellers, separately from any funding provided by the Department of Housing for social housing. I had a look at the Wexford County Council Traveller Accommodation Plan (2019 - 2024), and there’s ne’er a mention of horses. Don’t just take my word for it though, you can read the plan for yourself, here -

https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/sites/default/files/content/Housing/DRAFT-Traveller-Accommodation-Programme-2019-2024.pdf

The hold-up appears to be for a couple of reasons, none of which appears to include horses (I’m told they’re lovely, but they frighten the shyte out of me tbh) -

'Admin' given as a common reason for underspend on Traveller-specific accommodation

Responses to Noteworthy FOI request by local authorities

Local Authority

WEXFORD

% Drawdown 2017-19

6%

Drawdown per Traveller 2017-Jul 21

€84.95

Targets Set?

4 families out of 100 in group housing

Why Allocation Not Spent?

Issues with planning, boundary disputes, construction delays, occupants refusing works

Expanded since 2017?

NO CHANGE

https://www.thejournal.ie/tough-start-pt-5b-traveller-housing-funding-5580319-Oct2021/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/councils-could-face-sanctions-over-traveller-accommodation-budgets-1.3688827

The main issue for the delays in accommodating travellers, and I’m paraphrasing here, appears to be that local councillors are just a bit spineless. The funding is there for them to draw down, in order to develop their plans, but when it comes to implementing the plans, it’s the Councils who appear to have cold feet, not travellers.

In this particular case highlighted by the OP, and by way of answering your question as to what’s the hold-up, well there is no hold-up - Wexford County Council have received notice in writing, that the traveller families in question don’t want to move from their current accommodation into these spanky new houses, on what would only be a temporary basis. They’re effectively holding the Council to their obligation to provide suitable accommodation for travellers on a more permanent basis. It’s not as though the Council doesn’t have the funding available to them to do so, and moving the families into temporary accommodation appears to amount to nothing more than allowing the Council to kick the can down the road rather than addressing the issue on a more permanent basis. It would appear that local councillors who drew up the traveller accommodation plan are of the same mindset as your good self - ‘fcuk the traveller accommodation plan’.

That’s why it appears that the Council are trying the persuasion by ‘mediation’ route, because they are no doubt aware of a similar case which went all the way to the Supreme Court which overturned a decision to grant Clare County Council orders requiring members of the Irish Traveller Community to vacate lands they had been residing at for several years -

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0131/1276913-supreme-court-ihec/

If your concerns are motivated by concerns about the misuse and waste of public funds, it’s not travellers are to blame here, it’s the local authorities, and locally elected officials in particular who appear to be reluctant to get the finger out, and now their incompetence is coming back to bite them in the arse. Travellers may well be uneducated, but they’re not stupid, and in any case they enjoy the same protection from discrimination in Irish law as anyone else. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that local councillors would be fully aware of that fact, but it appears they were banking on travellers not knowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ah, that old image. You realise that in both cases its still theft? None of them bother to pay, like everyone else in the crowd has to. But I suppose that does sum up the entitlement culture on display here...

We’re continuing to subsidise new electric cars and SUVs for the wealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Off houses. They get rejected. Remove person from housing list and move on

That should be it. No f**King around anymore. If someone has an issue it's a housing crisis and get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,932 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

With 80k estimated Ukrainian Refugees expected to arrive in Ireland, this Disgraceful Nonsense really puts into perspective how utterly absurd it is ,having 8 brand new homes lying idle because of self entitlement.

Let's not forget this is not the first time this outrageous shenanigans has happened and if tolerated won't be the last, I've absolutely no doubt this carry on is happening in other counties across the state.

The mind utterly boggles at how any reasonable person could refuse a beautiful home because of spurious & incomprehensible notions of grandeur and self entitlement.

I'm sensing the already angry feelings about the housing crisis is about to boil over and coupled with this simply outrageous situation, enormous waiting lists, those struggling as it is to pay their rent, Those who are finding impossible to get a mortgage and now possibly thousands of refugees needing to be housed, the whole situation is just absolutely bonkers 😳

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Rootsblower

I drive the trains past that site and it’s the second time that site has been trashed. The first time the houses were gutted completely, they took all the copper piping and sold it(I know a co council worker in that town) they even removed the window frames and sold them. Worst of all the manhole covers were all stolen for scrap.

The site was then remediated and trashed again, solar panels were proved on the roof for hot water, these were all sold and again all the copper wiring and piping was sold.

A, so you've guessed were i was referring too 😁 it's been a while since I was in the area but my god, I was horrified at what I saw and outraged when I discovered it was not built that long ago. I had to get regular train up to Dublin for medical appointments and was disgusted by the sight of it and learned more on talking to people actively involved in trying to maintain it 😳

Thankfully I live in the mountains, far away from this utter madness 😏

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If someone, anyone, is given a council house and proceeds to trash it, strip it for parts and sell them surely they should be evicted and removed from ever being accommodated by the council again. Banned for life from being added to the housing list.

Especially if they have alternative accommodation they prefer to live in.

No?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Rootsblower

A number of Co Council workers were assaulted at said site whilst trying to carry out repairs there after the first trashing also.

You don't appear to understand how building regulations with regard to accessibility works. The intent of building regulations is that new building stock is designed to be easily and inexpensively retrofitted should those resident there lose their mobility. The intent isn't to create housing stock which is turn-key accessible for those with limited mobility but inexpensively and rapidly upgradable. All modern buildings are built to the regulations.

There is no section in the regulations relating to space requirements for a piebald.

Yes, I'm acquainted with two of them , not a single mention of this and similar incidents in either local or national press .

Wrong. Badly wrong. Part M building regs require new housing to be accessible, level entry,no steps, low power switches and more.

But I wasn't talking about new buildings. I was talking about allocation of social housing.

Those who claim that everyone should be treated equally are setting up wheelchair users to be offered social houses with stepped entrances, because no one should get special treatment. Bizarre.

No mention of piebalds in that news article. What have they got to do with this case.?

• Advertisement

There is nothing stopping anyone from entering a lease or hire purchase agreement on an supermini class EV such as a Renault Zoe or Opel Corsa which are within the grasp of the working man or woman. Please stop propagating mis-information in a thread and this thread is not about subsidisation of E.V.s in pursuit of Environmental Goals.

Advertisement