Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Do you mean American voters. How can this invasion be the consequence of that election

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Isn't it amazing Putin took Ukrainian land under Obama and is back for more now his vice president is in power. Weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Some treatment being dished out to the Russians in Donetsk and Luhansk by the Ukranians (whether official, or military acting the ####ix) over the last 8 years.

Interesting alternative views on Live RT TV channel if you can locate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Wouldn't be using RT as a news source here. That would be the Russian perspective only and discussing how they are peacekeepers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

We've been bombarded with American lies and propaganda since we were all in nappies. While Russia might not be telling 100% of the truth. It's very naive to be thinking our media is giving us the unbiased truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well yeah , everyone has a bias , and you look at who's paying the piper and what's they're angle - it gets worse when you realize that many media sources are just copying each other's articles -

But Russia does not allow dissent in their media .. RT is purely a tool of the Russian state - who've been building up to this conflict since 2014 ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Out of curiosity, were you this worked up by conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan, conflict in yemen sponsored by the saudis, china's treatment of the uyghurs, israels treatment of Palestinians, invasion of iraq/Afghanistan or any other conflicts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I've a friend married in Russia, says the news there is unreal, complete fiction and brazenly so.

People there didn't even know about the build up of Russian troops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not accept that. Lithuania, Estonia or Latvia are all fairly stable states. Georgia, Ukraine and Moldova are all effected by Russian aggression.

There is no indication that if Russia had continued to follow a democratic path after Yeltsin that it would be any worse than today. With it natural resources it should be a much more wealthy country.

It's about 1.5% if the Irish Republic land mass. Looking at some of the effected land in West Limerick and karts of Kerry 50-70% of farmers in those area's will be taking the mobey

That a lot of rubbish from a station which is a voice piece of the Russian state. Last year Putin started the closures of the last of them

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/russian-news-outlet-open-media-says-blocked-by-state-media-watchdog-2021-08-04/

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I remember Ukraine being perceived as a dangerous unstable country with nuclear capacity? Lithuania/Latvia is hated by Poland with nearly more vitriol than they have for Russia who their relationship is complicated

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smolensk_air_disaster

A good few Lithuanian ps I worked with were very macho aggressive temperamental fuckers, they have a saying” a Lithuanian is never so happy as when his neighbours house is burning”

a seriously corrupt place in a constant state of paranoia I gleaned from a more amenable countryman.

my nephew is engaged to a lovely girl from Hungary as I was very much looking forward to a trip to Budapest. She is being funded through college by the church of Scientology which sent a shiver down my spine😂,I honestly don’t know what to make of the culture. my nephew describes the culture a bit like my friends description of Lithuania, corrupt and paranoid in part but thrifty and resourceful too. But the legacy of the ussr isn’t that far under the surface anywhere in the bloc I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Same as ww2 then, how did there get to be so many 'citizens' in other countries.

I think you'll see energy self reliance become a big agenda with cooler nuclear power being pushed to the front, green agenda put more carrot than stick and the shackles taken off the bundeswuher. Possibly even an economy not based around if you think your dogs therapist approves of the gender you gave it woke nonsense and buying cheap shyte from china that's dumped the next day. Anti tank berms along Nato's border with the scandinavians quitely joining and pre prepared tank(the few that are left) emplacements so if you have a D10 or 11 time to make a few quid. Fabian tactics likely employed with the americans eventually potentially getting a competent president(rather than at the start of a new one) now there's a threat and event that's made everyone stop and think for the 1st time in near decades as despite the endless resources Russia lacks manufacturing with Religon also likelly to start causing fun in the southern regions. China might take the resources but absolutely not allow competition to use them.

It's the rare elements like polladium that's the issue. Aside from the hyperbole, the Russians are terrified of American air power as it's nearly 2 generations ahead. If the cv battle groups and in-air refueling fleet move towards Europe ****'s about to get real. Kalliningrad with it's battery of illegal missiles could do an amount of damage hoping MAD keeps things sensible. You don't need many boots anymore when enough computer power and a few targeted guided bombs puts your country into the stone age dreaming where the FFFF did you leave the pens and paper in the dark.

They've been having scraps in Syria for years with 'advisors-special forces types' and Wagner group etc for years. Until the fancier Us jets arrived and cleared the sky and the Russians retaliated a few days later to save face. Eg. Battle of Kasham which the Russian journalist who tried to report it was offed by the state for ruining the veil.

The rest of the world will be simply keeping heads above water as things get expensive for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's illegal to protest in Russia.

Doing so gets you into a Russian prison.

Saying that over the thousand could be over the two thousand people have been arrested today protesting against the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

That's unheard of in Russia.

Putin as a living being is on borrowed time you'd have to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm interested in what Dawg says after against Nato expansion a few days ago. I do think that with the west calling out putins military exercises, it could have actually triggered this attack, as he would have looked very weak to back down

This isn't about NATO. Putin was going to invade. Intelligence worked to a point, it foiled many false flag attempts. They have been spot on. But, Putin was always going to invade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I think Putin's game of invading Ukraine will result in a stagflationary cycle that will cripple Europe. Once countries in Europe start experiencing unrest and protests over rising prices and un sustainable living conditions this could cause a brexit like shift and a breakup of the european union. If this happens that mad man will be lurking in the shadows ready to swoop into western regions. Fertilizer prices and food costs are going to keep soaring as will most commodities, and anyway ECB printed 80% of europe GDP in 2020/2021 and are still pumping equities as we speak even with 5.5% inflation (thats like seeing your house on fire and still throwing petrol on it), so how Christine Largarde thinks that inflation is going away is beyond me. The same woman was adamant it was transitory for 1 1/2 years shows she hasn't a clue, and now she has changed her tune. Sad to think these clowns run Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

They could easily have supplied more modern weapon systems They have clearly showed their willingness to fight and stand up to Russia. France should know we'll what's it's like to be invaded. Europe has left itself down badly once again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

See a few thousand chech paramilitary forces are heading to ukraine to help out. Wouldn't be big Russian fans them lads plus battle hardened too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭ginger22

Ukraine is a major exporter of corn to China and the EU

Ukraine’s military has suspended commercial shipping at its ports after Russian forces invaded the country, an adviser to the Ukrainian president’s chief of staff said, stoking fear of supply disruption from leading grain and oilseeds exporters, reported Reuters.

Russia earlier ordered the Azov Sea closed to the movement of commercial vessels until further notice, but kept Russian ports in the Black Sea open for navigation, its officials and five grain industry sources said on Thursday.

Global farm commodities trader Cargill Inc said an ocean vessel it chartered was “hit by a projectile” on the Black Sea, but that the ship remained seaworthy and all crew were safe .

Ukraine is a major exporter of corn (maize), much of it destined for China and the European Union. It also competes with Russia to supply wheat to major buyers such as Egypt and Turkey.

Industry estimates currently put Ukraine’s grain exports at about 5 million to 6 million tonnes a month, comprising about 4.5 million tonnes are corn, 1 million tonnes of wheat and a remaining share of mainly barley.

Main grain export ports include Chornomorsk, Mikolayiv, Odessa, Kherson and Yuzhny.

Egypt’s state grains buyer cancelled an international purchasing tender for wheat on Thursday amid reports that no offers of either Russian or Ukrainian wheat had been received.

Russian forces invaded Ukraine on Thursday in a massed assault by land, sea and air, the biggest attack by one state against another in Europe since World War Two.

“The market is still struggling to get a clear picture of the actual military situation on the ground. The ports in the Azov and Black Sea so far seem not to have been damaged according to the initial shipping agency reports,” one European grain trader said.

The trader said the market was looking out for any declarations of force majeure, meaning suppliers will not fulfil contractual obligations because of extreme circumstances.

Shipping group Maersk said on Thursday it had halted all port calls in Ukraine until the end of February and has shut its main office in Odessa on the Black Sea coast because of the conflict.

Global agricultural commodities trader Bunge Ltd BG.N said Thursday it had shuttered company offices in Ukraine and operations in its Black Sea grains port in Nikolaev, Ukraine, had been suspended. Competitor Archer-Daniels Midland Co said its Ukraine facilities, including an Odessa export terminal, were not operating.

Russia, the world’s largest wheat exporter, mainly ships its grain from ports in the Black Sea.

The Azov Sea’s ports are shallower and have less capacity.

Mariupol, reported to be under attack from Russian forces, one of the biggest Ukrainian ports in the Azov Sea, mainly handles relatively small ships of between 3,000 to 10,000 tonnes deadweight. 

The Azov Sea ports export wheat, barley and corn to Mediterranean importers including Cyprus, Egypt, Italy, Lebanon and Turkey.

Another European trader, speaking on condition of anonymity, said such countries would have to seek alternative supplies if the ships were unable to depart in the near future.

US wheat futures rose to the highest level in nearly a decade as the conflict threatened to disrupt the flow of supplies from the region while European wheat futures climbed to a record peak. 

Russia and Ukraine account for 29% of global wheat exports, 19% of world maize (corn) exports, and 80% of world sunflower oil exports.

Russia produced 76 million tonnes of wheat last year and is expected by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) to export 35 million tonnes in the July-June season, 17% of the global total.

Russia supplies wheat to all the major global buyers. Turkey and Egypt are the largest importers. 

Ukraine asked Turkey on Thursday to close the Bosphorus and Dardanelles straits to Russian ships, the Ukrainian ambassador to Ankara said. 

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he backed Ukraine’s territorial integrity but there was no immediate response to Kyiv’s request. 

Under the 1936 Montreux Convention, Ankara has control over the straits and can limit the passage of warships in wartime or if threatened.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

This thread was started to be the home of comments on the current conflict. Hopefully, I haven't screwed around too much with the donor thread as the option to copy posts, rather than move them, doesn't seem to exist with this new software.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

War live with social media updates. The sad reality of war.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Looks like it might be an interesting week ahead.

If the new eu sanctions actually have any teeth, things could get very bad here fast.

Inflation will surge if anything happens energy supplies.

What does the eu do then?

Print lots of money and push us towards a hyperinflation scenario in a bid to hold the economy together or watch the economy entirely disintegrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

There was chap on RTE radio 1 the other day (Friday I think).

The commentary for a few days on RTE radio 1 was that this was a watershed once in a lifetime moment etc

The guy was making the point that in conflict in populated regions like this, civilian lives are the primary concern.

He said not only was it not the worst conflict of the last 30 years, it was not the worst conflict of that particular morning, mentioning in particular Yemen, for lives lost.

And not to forget US or Israel, not sure is it that it's ok to kill muslims or is it just ok for western countries to kill?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Lots of talk about kicking the Russian ambassador out of Ireland. idk would that do any good considering we now have Russian nuclear Submarines hawkering off the coast of Ireland now.

No doubt in my mind that the so called "training exercise off the south west coast was for the Russians to be within striking distance of Cities like London, Paris and even Dublin or Shannon airport of any if not all Irish airports

Coveney was asked to give details of all the other training excercises carried out in our waters over the past 30 years and refused to answer.

So we can read between the lines and assume that it's a regular enough occurrence for other countries to run military drills around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Irish trawler fishermen have been saying that for years. Plenty of Irish boats dragged under water.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Graphic video warning.

Decent citizens performing community service in Ukraine.

Don't take your armoured vehicles on holiday with you.

https://fb.watch/br4ZcIsL4N/

• Advertisement

Kick him into the Liffey, let Putins puppets swim home.

Advertisement