Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming state pensions for his dead parents for 33 years!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Its not about one civil service department not talking to another civil service department. It's the very same Department.

The GRO (General Registers Office) is based in Roscommon. It is part of the larger Department of Social Protection which paid out your mans job seekers payment as well as his dead parents pensions. https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation-information/143f25-about-the-general-register-office/

Also, even allowing for the presumption of honesty that the Department has, is it not absolutely mind blowing that a pension of €250 per week (€12,912 PA according to the Pensions Support line) is paid out to people without a yearly in person interview with the claimant by an official from the Department? The weekly pension they are receiving amounts to nearly as much as many people earn in a real job, yet the Old Age Pensioner doesn't even have to attend for an interview or a home visit once a year. Are we mad or what?

Employing an extra 100 civil servants, doing say 12 in person Old Age Pension review interviews per day, 46 weeks a year, would review a total 275,000 claims a year. I'm sure they would more than recoup their cost in savings thy would uncover. And they could also advise the non criminal clients they interview of the other services the Department offers which they may be unaware of.

And finally, I have no doubt that our criminal was claiming an increase in his own Job Seekers payment for his ex partner in Thailand, as well as Child Benefit for their son living with his mother, again all paid for by the same Department of Social Protection

Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Senior heads in Social Protection should roll for allowing this whole fiasco to go on for so long unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Remember the time Leo said that we should Dob in welfare cheats and the blowback he got? I wonder where are they all gone now?

Also, the same people giving out about the PSC are the same people giving out about how the government should fix this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

One of the few things I’d agree with Leo on..

although the term ‘welfare cheat’ is not accurate… ‘thieves’ is accurate however.

the individual was claiming for people who were not alive… stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How nobody even noticed him collecting it is amazing. I mean even in post office or bookies surely somebody knew.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

He must have thought all his birthdays had come together when he was notified of the award. It's shocking that this went undetected for so long. I thought checks were done, some kind of signed and witnessed form but I suppose if he did receive them, he forged witnesses signatures.

In a rural area, the undertaker and the person running the post office might well be one and the same, so a lot less likely that someone could get away with this.

Had the guards already started investigating before the award from the President was due?

From the article

“The inspector spoke with Don O’Callaghan by phone (because of Covid restrictions) who confirmed that he resided at the address with his father and mother, and that his father was willing to accept the President’s payment.” Don O’Callaghan – the accused – filled out the necessary paperwork. 

In the meantime, Det. Garda Nagle was searching for death certs and for evidence of any public health nurses having dealings with the apparently ageing couple."

• Advertisement

The main issue is the technology exists to automatically link all this stuff up, without any draconian nonsense of harassing old people or expecting 95 year olds to sign on at the post office.

There was some discussion about modernising the registration of deaths, including allowing doctors who witnessed a death to electronically alert it to the registrar.

Our current system was actually highly problematic and Irish data was being displayed with quality warnings on EU tables because we can’t be sure when people died. When it came to coronavirus analysis, we didn’t know how many people died when, and we were getting stuff like deaths accumulating and being reported as if they occurred on a particular day when they had actually occurred over months.

When someone dies, it should be a simple matter of linking the event to their PPS number and then suspending that number for all services, pending formal registration of their death. It’s 2022 and the technology not only exists but is in use in the services involved.

Fraud shouldn’t be that easy!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was changed to 40 shillings in 1874 (and £10 fine for whoever did the funeral without verifying it was either registered or registering it themselves); but those seem to be the current figures. They aren't inflated, only currency converted, so €2.54!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,851 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He took a picture of another old man he knew and gave it to DSP

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Not much of a deterrant. I'm sure you could still find 20 shillings lying aboiut somewhere in an old house.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What I wonder is will 'his' council house be sitting idle for him for 3 years until he is released from jail to add an additional €50k plus to the total fraud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Highly likely yes or he will rent it out for a nice little earner, when he gets out he will be straight down to the welfare office looking for a cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep i reckon its widespread, too many civil servants asleep at the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 81,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes if he rented it out he would have a nice lump sum waiting for him when he gets back out to 'go down to the bookies with'.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was it not paid into his bank account? no need to go to a PO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

A neighbour of mine is waiting 20 months so far for the full amount of their pension-10 yrs records are "missing".Possibly,they are in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

His parents weren't able to so he stepped up and did it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

When he gets out my neighbour can ask how claim to the missing 10 yrs .Maybe start a new claim,makey uppy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

Theoretically anyway, and given the computer capabilities that exist in this day and age, it is possible to literally track anyone from Birth to Death. But maybe its not possible to actually do this due to data protection law's??? I mean a persons PPS Nr should be trackable across all departments?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont disagree with that stance. Who would be the person under legal obligation to register the death on the 'register death portal' in the first instance?

That's the only question I would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

It's a crazy situation that a GP or hospital don't need to notify the DSP of a death. Leaving it to family or relatives to register the death with the GRO at some future date is an archaic system. As other posters said, we have all kinds of IT capabilities now to handle these events.

IMO, there should be some system whereby funeral undertakers and the burial ground are legally obliged to send details of any burials to the DSP. Not easy to fake a burial and if the undertaker/burial ground needed some sort of paperwork from the DSP to bury or cremate the deceased, then it would happen, otherwise the undertaker would go out of business.

Maybe they do something like that in other countries? I know it takes weeks in the UK to be buried - always wondered why it happens so fast here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭gipi

Why would DSP need to know about every death? Not everyone in the country has dealings with the department, so it would just create more bureaucracy as the staff take out information that they don't need, and probably have no right to get.

My understanding re UK funerals is that there must be a death cert before burial or cremation. That's why there is a delay. Yes, a system like that would catch cases like the Cork fraud, but how difficult would it be for families to have to wait weeks before a funeral? I've spoken to people in the UK who describe the time between death and funeral as surreal - people are expected to carry on as normal, go back to work even, then bury their loved one.

If you take Denmark for example, the doctor who writes initial paperwork, which happens here anyway, just digitally registers it in one step.

The DSP don’t need to be specifically informed but the PPSN should just be suspended for all uses.

We actually have most of the pieces of the puzzle, we just haven’t assembled them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

"despite the vigilance of the Department with the highest budget of any State service - an immense €23.3 billion for 2022 - benefit fraud does still happen."

Imagine that welfare fraud does still happen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that Donal O'Callaghan claimed JSA for 30 years, including several periods of high employment growth, it's clear that he was not "seeking work".

Is it now time to put a time limit on JSA?

Or at least to review all of those on JSA for many years?

There are jobs, now, today, to retrofit houses with better insulation.

I suggest the DSP approach all those on JSA over a year, and offer them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Offer them work where, exactly?

What kind of employer is going to hire a welfare lifer who doesn't want to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I was on JSA for six months about five years ago and had to sign up with seetec. They had absolutely no involvement with me getting a subsequent job yet still hassled me months later despite not being on welfare and this lad was on it for 30, Just wtf?

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

There is no bother collecting a pension for a parent or at least I never encountered any, I regularly collected my father's pension for him, other family members did too, you just go in with his card, they print the docket and you sign your own name for it, you don't forge the pensioner's signature! Now my father may have signed some form originally giving permission to some family member to do it but it wasn't me that was stipulated originally anyway as I just started doing it in later years.

Mind you this was in an area where our family would be known to the post office but not to all the staff over the years.

Advertisement