Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true that An Post doesn't use Eircodes?

Options

Comments

An Post's automatic sorting system uses Eircodes and can sort the item down to the delivery route. The postie doing the actual delivery works off the top line of the address usually as they're very familiar with their route.

There's a lot of garbage spoken, including by people working for An Post in various capacities, claiming that they're not used. I'd say most of those people have never set foot in a sorting office. Many of the people behind the counter in the post offices seem to know about as much about how the sorting system works as your average punter on the street. It's a bit like asking an Eir sales rep in a shop how a mobile network switch works.. They aren't going to know.

Several of the couriers are definitely using them, as I've had calls asking me for my Eircode when things were sent with vague addresses. I've also found a lot of tradespeople seem to use them all the time. At this stage, I'd say 10+ trades people have asked me to text them my Eircode rather than my address and complicated directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭rock22

My Eircode will pinpoint the exact house on the Eircode map ( Google maps shows two marks) . But the address returned bears no relationship to the correct road , which is marked by a Co.Council road sign. I am not too sure what would happen if the address returned by Eircode was used on a letter or package

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The only thing with giving a loc8 to someone is that 95% of people have never heard of it and have no way of using the information you give them. I gave up on Loc8 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I still use loc8 in my Garmin satnav, as I found Google Maps on the phone sometimes took me on quite unusual if not frightening routes to some places (on occasion not anywhere near where I actually wanted to go).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Compare W91 (Kildare - light brown) with the areas to the west of it.

If you're referring to the size difference of the areas, W91 consists of Naas as the main town with Blessington being the secondary town. The rest is bogland (in Kildare) and mountains with a few lakes (in west Wicklow), with villages and stand-alone houses dotted around. Long before Eircode was around, a lot of these places had Naas after their name which I never really understood. But then again, I'm a W12er... 😉

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like what3words LOC8 is taking free available GPS data and encrypting it for profit. Here's other versions

W 7978 6098 ( OS map.)

51.8011, -8.2939 ( GPS )

prat.pee.drug.diarrhea ( opensource MIT licence, 3 meter grid, uses rude words to aid memorisation )

overwhelms.brightest.evidence (closed source, €'s)

W8L-82-4YK (closed source, €'s)

Systems not based on grid location

L2500 0.1 - Road sign at the end of the road + distance. Free and easy to use once roads are signed.

P43 C966 (closed source, €'s)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,026 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No way a post man in the UK is familiar with all the post codes on his route. Once you are past the initial "SE1" or "BT4" bit which are huge areas the codes are just as random. For instance SE5 XXX tells you no more than V95 XXX. Any post man will know that SE5 is Camberwell/Peckham and V95 is Ennis.The only bit a UK post code cuts out is the city and borough.

So 10 House, St. Camberwell, Southwark, London SE5 XXX

becomes 10 House St. Camberwell SE5 XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

It never made sense to use a proprietary geocode imo. We could have developed our own one for free, or more recently used something free like google's plus codes. Though really the motivation for having geocodes for arbitrary locations has diminished a lot. I remember several years ago, if you broke down on a motorway, the AA wanted to know what exit you had passed last, and they weren't able to take an exact lat/long location. Nowadays, they just use their own mobile app, and they have no need for a "code" as such at all.

My opinion of Eircode hasn't really changed since the "discussions" here with people involved in the project a number of years ago. It works well for the basic functions of delivery or navigating to an address. Though the experience of the letter writer in the Times would make you question how well An Post are using it. They are competing heavily in the parcel delivery market now and generally speaking you don't get to choose which courier delivers packages to your home. It also works well enough for government and large commercial organisations who need to identify addresses systematically and do whatever data processing they want to do with them. I imagine a lot of that work is being done by the companies that were involved in designing the system. I still believe it was a missed opportunity to develop an open location/post code that could have been used for all kinds of purposes like statistics which would have been useful for the general public and other interested parties.

Apart from licensing and paying for it, there are some things you can do with it for free, by using Google's free tier to their maps products along with open data provided by other state agencies. But, that's no thanks to Eircode, and it's only free up to a point, when you do have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Outside of urban areas eircodes are indispensable"

Rubbish if you don't mind me saying. Lived in a rural area for many years prior to Eircodes and never had a problem giving directions to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"It also works well enough for government and large commercial organisations who need to identify addresses systematically and do whatever data processing they want to do with them."

This is/ was the real driver behind Eircode - the state now has a systematic method to identify rateable property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Eircode is not connected to google maps.

Googles maps uses different technology and overlayers eircodes based on an algorithm.

For accuracy, you need to use the eircode website. Enter the eircode and it will give you an absolute precise location. We do some deliveries ourselves if within 20km of our depot. We've yet to find an incorrect eircode using with eircode website.

If we use google maps, it can be 30-50m out. But that's a google issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Christ, I've heard it all now. I wish the loc8 cheerleaders would stop clutching at straws.

I can be half way up Galtee Mor (as I should have been today until the weather changed that). I can click on google maps and send anyone or give anyone my PRECISE location down to a meter.

I've done it a few times for meet up points when hiking. Its stupidly easy. I don't need loc8 to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I've never had a problem giving directions to anyone either. "Turn right after <very obvious landmark>, turn right again, entrance is through gates approx 100m down the road on the left."

I've had plenty of trouble with people following simple directions. Give them just an eircode and they have no problem.

If I'm picking up family from a friend's I haven't been to before I just ask for the eircode and put it into Google maps. Much simpler than trying to follow directions around back roads when the person giving directions may not have been 100% coherent at the time they called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep I apologise for being a bit obnoxious in my reply, I should have made it clear that what I really meant is eircode cannot be relied upon when using google maps. It’s just not exact or accurate enough and can often have a pin drop that is not clearly on one property, not eircodes fault but the majority of couriers use google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't really understand why Eircode on Google maps would be less accurate. For the limited amount of data I've looked at, it was pretty accurate. When Google got the Eircode database they would have received the same precise coordinates that Eircode use themselves. So, why would they sometimes be 30-50m out?

Lucky you. I'm 40 years living rurally and couriers could never find us. Since Eircodes we have had no issues at all. Directions in rural areas can be difficult if there are side roads confused with laneways or vice versa. We've gone from several undelivered items a year to couriers just arriving without needing to contact us at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭crinkley

Can totally believe this, I addressed a package to myself but at my partners parents house. Was wondering why it hadn't turned up. Gerry the postman hadn't recognised the name, to which I replied but the eircode was on it. The postmen don't use them was the reply

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jakers overreaction much.

It works in my Garmin and until I replace that, it's fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Just fyi JIM - you're being called out by the person who runs the Loc8 twitter account. For some reason, they are countering your post there, rather than here where you (and others) might actually see it.

Comical. I tried Loc8 and any courier or visitor I went to give it to didn't know what I was talking about. Let them rant. A nerve has obviously been touched. A childish rant because they lost out to Eircode.

Thanks for that. I'm not on Twitter so wouldn't have seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Comes across like his teenage kid has the keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 40,309 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Let Loc8 rant all they like. They're upset that the emergency services automatically ask for your Eircode and don't even mention them. The fact remains that people know what an Eircode is and have never heard of loc8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd say the main issue is the eircode developer got well paid for it.

It's without a doubt what has them p!ssed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭beachhead

Non sequential postal codes were chosen deliberately to stop junk mail companies blanketing entire villages,towns,counties with their shite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Where I live has sequential postcodes and I don't get any junk mail at all. Maybe once a month I get a hand delivered flyer for charity collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The google maps issue might be the reason that I get all of my neighbours couriered parcels left on my doorstep, even when their clearly visible house name is on the parcel.

I wondered whether there’s an element of protectionism of jobs at play - in rural areas like mine the postman has to know the family name of every house, makes the job impossible for an outsider to do. I once had a letter delivered addressed to my ex, who never lived at that address with me - that was creepy 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Advertisement