Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Kerry Greenway

Options
  • 22-05-2018 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion here about the proposed greenway from Glenbeigh to Cahirciveen. I think it was due to go for planning a few months back.

What also amazes me is that the various interest groups around Killorglin aren't getting in on the act. It would be a great boon to an otherwise overlooked Kerry town if the section from Glenbeigh to Killorglin was also completed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The greenway proposal was railroaded in (pardon the pun), landowners objected to this and the lack of proper consultation.

Assume it's now bogged down for the above reasons.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/farmers-kerry-greenway-plans/

The greenway does not align with the interests of Healy-Rae-ites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That's a good article. Why is it such a big deal to the farmers? Are they just holding out for cash?

Coming out with CPO's all guns blazing got their backs up.

tbf it could have been handled better, slowly slowly catchee monkey. IIRC the Achill greenway had to do a lot of kowtowing and groundwork before they ever made a start.

The Waterford one was still in CIE ownership so that was more straightforward. I think they should personally visit landowners rather than expecting them to come into inspect maps etc. http://irishcycle.com/2018/05/17/consultation-to-be-held-for-two-kerry-greenways/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I see. Anyway, assuming that it eventually goes ahead, it would be great to see it extended to Killorglin. I actually walked most of the original line a few years back and reckon it's quite doable. It would be a huge boon to the town.

Yeah, most of the alignment is still there.

Likewise goods portions of the Kenmare branch are still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

zulutango wrote: »
    Are they just holding out for cash?

Spot on.

JonathonS wrote: »
    Spot on.

I'm sure if the council were going to take a skelp off your garden you'd want top dollar too, or would you give it away for free? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

I'm sure if the council were going to take a skelp off your garden you'd want top dollar too, or would you give it away for free? :D

How about if it wasnt my garden in the first place.How about if it belonged to C.I.E, hence the Irish State

How about if it wasnt my garden in the first place.How about if it belonged to C.I.E, hence the Irish State

No, it doesn't belong to CIE anymore, the rails were lifted shortly after the last public services ran and lands disposed of to the adjoining landowners by and large.

It was only with later closures that CIE had a policy of retaining ownership, leaving lines in situ for 10 years after closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kerrysoul

Just a point of interest re the proposed South Kerry Greenway, was the land gifted or sold back to the farmers when CI E lifted up the tracks?.

• Advertisement

kerrysoul wrote: »
    Just a point of interest re the proposed South Kerry Greenway, was the land gifted or sold back to the farmers when CI E lifted up the tracks?.

Sold off in parcels to adjoining landowners. The state washed its hands of that land a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

What is the latest on this saga? What is the next step in the process?

Stalemate, last time I looked.
    Way to go KCC.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/south-kerry-greenway-there-is-nothing-but-annoyance-and-upset-now/

"Farmers in the area have lent their support to the project from the get-go but it appears communication broke down between them and the local authority after the CPOs were issued and the subsequent court case – which found in favour of the farmers – concluded."

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

"Some 222 pieces of land measuring between 0.001 hectares to over 0.2 hectares are involved in the CPO."

I'd say it is most unlikely the greenway will ever become a reality. Such a pity - it could be the most spectacular greenway in the country.

An Bord Pleanala hearing into this is on in Manor West Hotel October 8th.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The greenway proposal was railroaded in (pardon the pun), landowners objected to this and the lack of proper consultation.

Absolutely incorrect. KCC engaged in substantial consultation with landowners (they were all individually visited numerous times as part of the process) as the initial intention was to acquire the lands by voluntary agreement. Almost all landowners agreed terms with KCC but a few refused to do so.

Unfortunately under the law, if even one landowner refuses, it's the same as if they all had. It's not allowable to proceed with purchases by voluntary agreement unless there's unanimous agreement of all landowners.

Despite every effort, unanimous agreement was not forthcoming so KCC proceeded with the CPO route as a last resort. It was either that or abandon the project entirely.

But every cloud has a silver lining as they say! With this project stalled these past few years, KCC's greenway resources have been diverted to delivering the North Kerry greenway instead which will be a fantastic amenity for those of us living near it! :D

The North Kerry isn't all that. I don't see locals taking advantage of it business wise. If it wasn't for easily missed tiny brown directional signs a visitor wouldn't know it existed at all.

The North Kerry isn't all that. I don't see locals taking advantage of it business wise. If it wasn't for easily missed tiny brown directional signs a visitor wouldn't know it existed at all.

Well the only completed section in Kerry so far is the 2km in Tralee that's only of use to locals. Limerick CC have done an excellent job over the summer reconnecting the Barna Tunnel to the rest of the route.

Walked the section from Abbeyfeale to NCW recently and it really is as good as the Waterford Greenway IMO. Once it's connected on to Listowel, Tralee and Fenit, I think it will start to get the national attention it deserves.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In fairness, once complete the South Kerry Greenway will be unrivaled for scenery. The West Limerick one is nice but this one is different gravy.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    In fairness, once complete the South Kerry Greenway will be unrivaled for scenery. The West Limerick one is nice but this one is different gravy.

No denying that. It should get ABP approval but it will probably end up in the courts to test the constitutional validity of using the CPO process for building greenways.

While a further delay of a number of years would be most unfortunate, on a national level getting this question definitively answered would ultimately only be a good thing, one way or the other.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Peter Sweetman is involved also.

http://radiokerry.ie/observer-south-kerry-greenway-hearing-says-no-choice-take-issue-court/

Anyone who is unfamiliar may like to Google.

I will reserve comment as I don't want to be carded.

It'll be interesting how much they'll need to spend on the metal bridge at Cahirciveen.
    Crossed it a good few years ago before they fenced it off and it didn't look too good then, some serious holes in it. Lot of corrosion with salt air. The one at Kilorglan not that good either after over a half century of no maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

Quackster wrote: »
    Well the only completed section in Kerry so far is the 2km in Tralee that's only of use to locals. Limerick CC have done an excellent job over the summer reconnecting the Barna Tunnel to the rest of the route.

Walked the section from Abbeyfeale to NCW recently and it really is as good as the Waterford Greenway IMO. Once it's connected on to Listowel, Tralee and Fenit, I think it will start to get the national attention it deserves.

I prefer it to the Waterford one, which is overdone health n safety wise, too much of the trees and hedges pared back to nothing and almost like a mini motorway. I'd rather long deserted stretches rather than having to fight with crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

€7.5 million allocated to greenways in Kerry for next year | RadioKerry.ie

The proposed South Kerry Greenway, which is still subject to legal challenges, will receive €1.7 million across two sections: Renard to Cahersiveen and Cahersiveen to Glenbeigh.

Kerry County Council has been given €100,000 for a new greenway assessment scheme.

A further €100,000 has been allocated to developing a county greenway connectivity study, which will investigate the possibility of linking the North Kerry and South Kerry Greenways. 

What is the latest with the court challenges here?

Waiting for the Supreme Court to hear the leave to appeal. Hopefully will happen in the coming months.

If leave to appeal is refused, we're home and dry. If leave to appeal is granted, we could be talking about a wait of several years for the case to be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

Full speed ahead now hopefully. Looking forward to cycling this in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Fantastic news if true. I thought the high court had pencilled this in for the 14th or 15th of Feb.

those land owners need a swift kick in the aras.

this would be the most spectacular greenway in the country and bring much needed opportunities to Cahersiveen Kells and Glenbeigh.

asking about the bridge in Cahersiveen, it does seem that the dilapidation has gone very far. Would personally LOVE for this greenway to happen, I have not gone across that rail bridge since I was a child.

Advertisement