Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford-Rosslare line

• 30-04-2020 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,752 ✭✭✭✭

Out of boredom and curiosity what was the history of the Waterford-Rosslare train service/line which finished in 2010

Geographically it didn't make sense that it passed through any East Waterford villages but could be wrong?

Is the line still there today?

Found this in YouTube and will prob give me the answers. Some amazing views on that trip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote:

Tracks are still there most of the way from new ross to waterford, tried walking it a couple of years ago, but it was impassable most of the way, it's gonna be developed for a greenway soon, so I ll try it again when it's cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

The line is still there and in operating condition, It is technically termed an engineers siding. An inspection car travelled the line on 26th August last year.
    Go on You Tube and search Waterford Rosslare trains and you should find loads of stuff. It needs to be taken over as a heritage line like they do in the UK or it will become a cycling greenway and be lost forever. There is also a line on the far side of Waterford leading to Ballynacourty which I believe is all but disappeared now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Tracks are still there most of the way from new ross to waterford, tried walking it a couple of years ago, but it was impassable most of the way, it's gonna be developed for a greenway soon, so I ll try it again when it's cleared

Yes but that is a different track from Waterford-Rosslare line.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

Last I heard about it the government was thinking of opening up a western corridor linking Galway to rosslare as a freight line to take a lot of cargo and trucks off the road.galway/limerick don't have a port so I suppose it would make sense to do something like this.
    Plus there is planning permission in for a Greenway along it but recently new Ross council objected as issues about what side of Greenway beside the track its to go on.the EU have set up cycling holiday/trips across europe.they are linking eurovelo 1 track through Norway Scotland all the way around coastal Ireland and onto Spain.they are near completion on eurovelo 2 track linking Dublin to Galway cycling path.youghal/Middleton Greenway is also under construction.when all these greenways are done it will bring a lot of tourism in to Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

JPA wrote: »
    Yes but that is a different track from Waterford-Rosslare line.

Yeah, there are two lines, one splits from the other on the north quays going north to New Ross. It's easy to spot on google maps satellite image and here is a road bridge at Peafield/Larkfield over the line on google earth and a railway crossing here

A heritage railway is a nice idea but the costs v greenway (and the fact the greenway is the politically popular option) suggests there's no chance of a change of intention now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Out of boredom and curiosity what was the history of the Waterford-Rosslare train service/line which finished in 2010

Geographically it didn't make sense that it passed through any East Waterford villages but could be wrong?

Found this in YouTube and will prob give me the answers. Some amazing views on that trip

God I could listen to the sound of the train all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Last I heard about it the government was thinking of opening up a western corridor linking Galway to rosslare as a freight line to take a lot of cargo and trucks off the road.galway/limerick don't have a port so I suppose it would make sense to do something like this.
    Plus there is planning permission in for a Greenway along it but recently new Ross council objected as issues about what side of Greenway beside the track its to go on.the EU have set up cycling holiday/trips across europe.they are linking eurovelo 1 track through Norway Scotland all the way around coastal Ireland and onto Spain.they are near completion on eurovelo 2 track linking Dublin to Galway cycling path.youghal/Middleton Greenway is also under construction.when all these greenways are done it will bring a lot of tourism in to Ireland

It makes sense to have a passenger service from Waterford to Galway via Limerick but they won’t do it. When you think of all the colleges, how bad the road is between Waterford and Limerick and the tourism potential plus better access to port facilities for goods manufactured in the west it is hard to see why it is not being pushed more by politicians along the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

That line your talking about is going to be the new green way to Ross but Rosslare line is different. Walked bit of it few years ago nice tunnel on it just before the bridge to great island which you can see from cheekpoint. I thought it was still used for commercial stuff from the port. Years ago used to hear the morning train from where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

The track going through the port is still used alright. Iv been working down in the port a good bit and iv seen a cargo train go by a few times. Also seen some walkers go by one day. I dont think the realised they were walking into a working port not that it mattered to them i suppose as they just kept walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,752 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Some stunning views on the trip going by the videos on YouTube. We have a wonderful countryside here

Got mixed up with bridges and thought the Barrow bridge connecting Wexford & Kilkenny was the same one that is abandoned here but it's not and the red bridge is down near the new bridge

Are the owl Bilberry goats still going??

• Advertisement

what direction would the Waterford-Ballinacourty of went ??? Would it of used the Dublin line or the rosslare line

is Waterford-Limerick Junction still a thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It still goes to Limerick Junction.

what direction would the Waterford-Ballinacourty of went ??? Would it of used the Dublin line or the rosslare line

The Ballinacourty line was a spur that took trains off to the left once they had come out of Waterford Station heading to Kilkenny. It was primarily to service a gypsum plant in Ballinacourty. Not sure there is any remnants of the line left in situ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Drifter50 wrote: »
    The Ballinacourty line was a spur that took trains off to the left once they had come out of Waterford Station heading to Kilkenny. It was primarily to service a gypsum plant in Ballinacourty. Not sure there is any remnants of the line left in situ

Is this not part of the Waterford Greenway now? When you say left out of train station I presume you mean it went over the red iron bridge?

debok wrote: »
    Is this not part of the Waterford Greenway now? When you say left out of train station I presume you mean it went over the red iron bridge?

Yes, this was a separate line to the Waterford Dungarvan route which is the basis of the greenway. As far as I can remember there were no passenger stations on this route, its was a goods only line.

Maybe Jamie2K9 or the Wanderer both regular posters here who have an encyclopedia type knowledge of Irish Railways past and present could add some clarity to this issue for you

isnt/was there remains of a track and an abandoned carriage in Bilberry near the new houses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20B/Ballinacourty/IrishRailwayStations.html
    I was part of the playgrounds that were built in durrow and the crooked bridge.the railway branched down towards ballinacourty at the crooked bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yes, this was a separate line to the Waterford Dungarvan route which is the basis of the greenway. As far as I can remember there were no passenger stations on this route, its was a goods only line.

Maybe Jamie2K9 or the Wanderer both regular posters here who have an encyclopedia type knowledge of Irish Railways past and present could add some clarity to this issue for you

Durrow Station?

K0prX2PfullstopSQMsg.jpg

http://www.waterfordmuseum.ie/exhibit/web/DisplayPrintableImage/K0prX2PfullstopSQMsg/ .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Once it’s not in Dublin the Fine Gael government couldn’t care less . Close it down like the rest of rural Ireland will be the solution .
    Divert all money to Dublin - Fine Gael policy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

isnt/was there remains of a track and an abandoned carriage in Bilberry near the new houses ?

The Greenway is theBallinacourty line.

Originally, before the bridge across the Suir was built, there was a station in Bilberry, it became the Stanley Range factory. The tracks were there until quite recently, now it's been cleared for the Greenway start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Azatadine

cml387 wrote: »
    The Greenway is theBallinacourty line.

Originally, before the bridge across the Suir was built, there was a station in Bilberry, it became the Stanley Range factory. The tracks were there until quite recently, now it's been cleared for the Greenway start

Is that the route that the Kilmeaden train follows? There sees to be a spur (or used to be) off that line that goes to the red iron bridge.

I was in Rosslare on Thursday and a train was using the line. I thought the line was closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Azatadine wrote: »
    I was in Rosslare on Thursday and a train was using the line. I thought the line was closed?

There's still trains between Connolly and Rosslare.

JohnC. wrote: »
    There's still trains between Connolly and Rosslare.

Doh.... of course....*slaps head*

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Valhalla90

If a loop was developed that went towards Wexford Town instead of Rosslare and the train station relocated to the North Quays there could be a successful Waterford-Wexford Town service but unless it goes to Wexford Town I cant see it being successful

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Five buses a day (only six days a week), all of which serve other population centres on the way that are not on the railway line, does not suggest there is the grounds for a successful rail service.

There would need to be solid plans to significantly develop the villages along the road as commuter centres for Waterford and Wexford - plus jobs for people to commute to - for the line to ever come back. The existing demand is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

CIE stopped the Waterford-Rosslare service, 12 years ago, as there was fe(k-all demand for it.

Ironically, the last day it ran, in September 2010, the train was packed with enthusiasts and people who hadn't bothered their ar5es using it for years.

Some UK based transport company looked into the feasibility of reopening it, under licence from CIE, in the last decade and pulled out as quickly as they looked into it.

The sooner they lift the tracks, get it paved and open a greenway, bringing some much-needed tourism money into the villages of Bridgetown, Wellington Bridge, Ballycullane and Campile (the stations serviced by the route when it ran), the better!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Best idea would be to open as a greenway and then provide good links to that greenway, people can then use it to get to other places by bike. Certainly works for the dutch, no reason why it can't in Ireland.

If you were living along the Dungarven greenway such as out in Kilmac and you worked in Waterford it could certainly be used to commute, those further out could use an electric bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Sad that there is so little passenger demand. Would it be feasible for CIE to introduce a driverless train to run it with low costs or would the unions prevent this?

Advertisement