Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Fashion,

Turn to the left,

Fashion,

Turn to the right...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

That's hilarious, I also had serious drama with ROM but killed O+S on my first go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nameless King was the only boss I gave up on, thank feck he was optional or that would've been the end of DS3 for me.

I spent an afternoon summoning help for that and in the end we barely managed it. I don't even know how its possible to do it solo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,926 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For those that killed O & S first go, did ye think that was just another or handy boss fight while the rest of the world, including me, were spent countless hours on them in between bouts of crying on the corner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,438 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm only now discovering The Nameless King in DS3 was supposed to be a tough fight. Think I beat him solo on second try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,837 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The final boss of Sekiro is the only Souls boss that really broke me. I just couldn't get the rhythm down, although I got through the first phase of the fight so many times I could almost do it blindfolded. I eventually just did the 'lure' trick, running him in circles to trigger the few attacks I knew I could confidently counter. It was more relief than satisfaction when the credits eventually rolled, and absolutely nothing else in the series came close to the sheer graft needed to get there. There was just something about it that broke me, whereas many other of the more famous chokepoints in the Souls games felt much more surmountable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,050 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I feel personally attacked.

In other awful Elden Ring news, I've been invited down the country to a divorce party for the weekend Elden Ring is out :(

• Advertisement

I missed Dark Souls when it came out and played it via the remaster, I had no idea they were supposed to be infamous. I'm not particularly good at the souls games (couldn't get very far in Sekiro) but I had a bit of luck. When I killed the second one, he killed me at the exact same moment. I woke at the bonfire to see the boss vanquished message, I was fairly relieved let me tell you.

Never heard of a divorce party but actually sounds like it could be great craic.

Celebrating failure seems a very British thing to do.

He definitely has a f*cked up rhythm to most of his attacks, and his attack chains can be quite long. Then he will heavily punish any attempts to get distance and heal.

The Twin Princes in DS3 may have been my toughest ones to beat in Souls games. Even with help, I just could never get into any sort of zone with them. Other bosses (especially in Sekiro) I may have died to more often, but I was always improving, learning, and finally beat them. Twin Princes f*cked me up every single time and only for one very good player summoned to help I might not have bothered trying to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I never played a Dark Souls game or Bloodborne, so this is something new to me.

I remember my first encounter with the Nameless King. Recorded a video as it left me a bit speechless. As tough as he was, it was **** euphoric when I finally beat him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I want to be interested in this but I just can't seem to be bothered. I've tried a soul's game once briefly and just didn't like the environment and trudgery of it. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my lasting memory. Now Sekiro, I 100% it back in December, that's possibly my favourite game of all time. This looks like it's going back to the controls and movement that I didn't like but in much prettier setting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the biggest struggle of my soul bourne career is that Orphan... for the life of me I couldn't manage him solo lol. I still think it must be my build at that time, so ya some nice rando answered my call and we killed kos with his long range build. I really want to challenge him again in 4k lol.

(skipped so many optional bosses in Sekiro so ye...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,050 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The worst for me were Orphan of Kos who is so hard to nail down and his random balls of shite in the last phase that nuke your health and Genichiro at the top of the Pagoda in Sekiro.

Genichiro took so much out of me because I didn't know how to play the game properly and it was that boss fight that taught me how to play. After that I didn't really feel much pressure as I knew I had the tools to deal with anything. Even the demon of hatred wasn't too bad (although for that one the difficulty was more about forgetting how to play sekiro and going back to playing a Dark Souls type boss.

Might be worth going back to try Souls type games. With Sekiro you probably know what to expect from the games now. The toughest part of from games is being thrown in the deep end at the start and persevering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Id seen people fight them on streams so I knew the idea was to kinda keep pillars between you and them, it was luck more than anything else. I had a really weird build going, again purely by accident as I didnt know any better, I was using a black knight halberd +5, but had put loads of points into strength so that I could wield it one handed with a shield. It hits hard, has a very useable moveset and keeps you well out of reach to make up for the shortcomings in your roll speed. I'd love to say it was intentional, but the complete opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I think this is the best thing about the souls games - no matter how good you think you are, there will always be that feeling of isolation, a dark low-point you feel from a seemingly insurmountable challenge that turns you off the game.

But it always draws you back in somehow...

Oh here, I had sos calls in the form of looking for group posts on Xbox when playing the Dark Souls 2 DLC last year , amazing the amount of help there still.

I missed that from Sekiro vs previous From games, that shared joy of teaming up and beating the odds and helping others when you beat a boss and put your sign down afterwards.

It was also social and an accessibility mode of sorts as they call it these days. I've still people on my friends list I picked up playing Dark Souls on 360

That's both hilarious and soul crushing to read at the same time.

“But when making the game I rediscovered my love for making poison swamps. I know how people feel about them, but you know, suddenly I realize I'm in the middle of making one and I just can't help myself. It just happens.”

I hated valley of defilement in Demon's Souls, and that was at 60 fps/1440p on PS5. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been at 720p/10 FPS on PS3.

The poison swamps I can deal with. It's the rarer mechanics that come out of nowhere and kill you almost instantly that I hate far more; Curse (Dark Souls 3), Frenzy (Bloodborne), Terror (Sekiro), Plague (Demons Souls, though it's more of an extreme version of poison).

I'm expecting the equivalent Elden Ring mechanic to just be called "F*ck You"

Is it really a souls game without a poison swamp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finally they get hair right. There were some dodgy as fúck barbers in Lordran, Drangleic, Lothric and Yharnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I hear ya, although i feel like that boss fight made me really feel like I mastered the game.

I was looking at my save files and my first playthrough took me 70 hours. My most recent playthrough was 4 and a half hours.

I am so darn excited about Elden Ring!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,441 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I made the mistake of having a quick search on HUKD and it showed up on Eneba with a cracking price (~£27). Pre-ordered this morning but I can't shake off the meh feeling though. . . . hopefully I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Absolute bargain. I've yet to play a Soulsborne game that I haven't loved so I'm definitely more optimistic than you.

9 more days lads

This, Horizon and Cyberpunk all within 9 days. 3 Games I waited years for.

Seriously could just 1 of them have not made it out at the end of last year when there was nothing of interest being released.

Why would you even care about any other game when elden ring is out. I mean choosing Horizon over a From game. Oh you.

And then you have Sifu which is already top contender for GOTY. My Dying Light hasn't gotten a look in since Sifu and i need to clear Sifu before Elden Ring arrives.

Elden Ring is gonna be special yall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,837 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don’t worry, Cyberpunk didn’t suddenly become an actually good game with the next-gen patch - just a more stable game. Another few weeks after 14 months of waiting ain’t a big deal. Elden Ring trumps all.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Looking forward to this one and expect it to be a proper challenge... I played and completed the Souls games and they drove me barmy.

I like lots of different types of games, I once put about 40 hours into a cheapo PS2 mario kart rip-off based on The Phantom Menace and I do not regret it one bit.

• Advertisement

Don't hype it too much! For all we know, it could dethrone DS2 as the "worst" in the series (even if DS2 was inevitably still the best game of 2014)

Too late man, the hype train has already left the station. I have been ignoring a lot about it and usually for a game in really hyped for, i want to soak in as much info as possible but this, I'm happy to just be completely surprised.

I think you're better off doing that. I'm looking forward to Starfield this year, but I'm not engaging with the speculation or news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,460 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What class are people going for first?

I'm going Faith as I've basically played strength, Dex and magic on the From Games so want to try something different.

I always say I'll go with something different but always go with Knight Sword and Greatshield, always have a lot of fun with that build. Think it's one of the reasons i didn't like Sekiro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,460 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Demon Souls was my most recent souls game and I'd a Meat Cleaver character on the run. Just pulverised enemies.

Yeah I always go for the big smashy-smashy character first, usually because the systems around magic-type builds can often be pretty complex and a lot more based around finding key items or particular strategies to be really effective.

At least with strength builds, I just know to find a big thing and hit things with it. Usually capable of better armour and stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the hypeeee (should be nice timing when i am done with working on weekends...)

Saw this last night as well - a bit of spoiler obviously but i set the video to the conclusion part (so ya it is spoiler free for this part) in which he mentioned how he felt when he first saw ER (new DS), and then demo ER (open world DS) vs when he played the full game (very different from his previous expectations):

"This is a game that will shatter your expectations and you can't even imagine the actual scale and depth of it."

Pre-Ordered on Series X as there were 6000 rewards points for it. Install size is 49.04gb

Not sure if there will be a day one patch or not?

I see a lot of streamerz and "influencerz" and such playing Elden Ring right now somehow. While I try and avoid such things for games I anticipate, I think it's a really good sign that From software have let the game loose rather than trying to hide it until release date like other awful day 1 games like Cyberpunk. The game is ready and they are trying to flaunt it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement