Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,643 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Seems to be one lad talking to himself for a day. Without the kind of cheap bikes he is talking about I wouldnt now be enjoying the €700bike I am now on. Sound like an entitled cnt to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think he makes an interesting point. a cheap bike is expensive if it doesn't last.

as to him being entitled, rothar started out taking in old bikes and restoring them, as a social enterprise, so he probably knows what he's talking about when he talks about old cheap bikes not being worth repairing. i had a similar reaction from the rediscovery centre in ballymun when i offered them a bunch of bikes left behind by a previous owner when my brother in law bought a house - 'not worth looking at', too cheap and nasty to put any effort into doing anything with.

A lot of people cant take the chance on spending a large sum on a first bike only to find out cycling doesnt suit them and some people just dont have the capital to make expensive purchases. No way in hell I would have taken the chance on commuting by bike if I had to but a bike that cost even €200. My €700 bike is the most expensive thing I have ever bought in my life outside of paying rent and I can only afford that due to spending time not paying rent during Covid.

Cutting off access to cheap bikes sounds like awful entitled wnker stuff to me and completely disconnected to how many people live despite whatever charity he worked with (as charity workers often are)

The way he says they are "potentially dangerous" sounds like the types who moan that we are not in high viz.What are the scientific stats behind this danger? how many accidents do these "dangerous" bikes cause?

The one point I do agree with him on is the bike to work which non of my zero hours employers have ever let me avail of. Very very rare I have ever seen a low paid worker saying they are on a BTW bike. It should be through tax using a government tax scheme or dole scheme not through the employer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can see both sides, I rode a BSO that cost 99euro after my bike got nicked and it got me through a year of commuting and I covered 15km a day plus every other social engagement. It was sh1t, sized badly, had to stay out of the saddle most of the time but it done the job. I could not afford a better one, paying bus fares would have left me not being ever able to afford it. It was eventually stolen and I bought a decent racer with the money saved. As for the B2W scheme, the beauty is its simplicity. The only change I would make is that it has to be offered by every company, no exceptions, and it must have the option of payment over 12 months. Also I would ban middle men companies, so two things, still my opinion they are technically illegal but either way, they don't make it simpler for companies despite making it feel like they do. Getting done through revenue adds an unnecessary layer of complexity to a beautifully simple to implement scheme.

As for the b2w why not have a system where people like me who luckily for once had the €700 but couldn't do b2w just fill out a revenue form and get the tax back that way.

As for trying to push this minimum standard as a way to reduce waste and carbon footprint I assume he is equally as keen to stop rich people having 6 bikes and 20 wheelsets in their house at any one time.

• Advertisement

The system works fine with that though, provided your employer runs the scheme. Just keep the 700 in your bank and sacrifice it in a lump sum or over 12 months. Anything that brings complexity to it is something that could ruin it. One of my old co workers got a 600euro bike on it but was hourly paid, she loved that she didn't have to pay it in a lump sum as she never could have afforded that. The tax saving was irrelevant to her. Like I said, make it a requirement for every business who has taxable employees to make it available. Don't over complicate it.

A minimum standard while great in theory, could have both good and bad reactions, I think the guaranteed negatives which will occur and positives that are nice in theory but may be impossible to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭cletus

The only other change I would make to the Cycle to Work scheme would be that everyone who avails if it would save the top rate of tax, regardless of the actual tax band they are in. Currently higher earners benefit more from it, which seems a bit bass-ackwards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You could tackle the rubbish Smyth's bikes with a Bike to School tax relief on purchasing a "real" bike for parents.

Start em young, way to many Terenure Tractors shipping kids to school these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Can't see it happening, but there would be a much better market in second-hand bikes if all bikes entering the market met a minimum standard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know diddly squat about the market in second hand kids bikes, except that the for sale/wanted ads which appear on the forum here tend to repeat the same brand or two over and over.

anyway, i suspect those social enterprise outfits must see an awful lot of it - people bring in a bike which had cost €200 new, but it might need €60 of parts to fix and €50 in labour costs, and they'd be lucky to get €100 for it so the best they could probably hope for is to scavenge some parts from them.

i must tweet yer man and ask what changes he thinks would make the biggest difference. the article he links to about the petition in canada is not overflowing with detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The core point he makes; that bikes made from poor quality parts and assembled with next to no quality control leads to products which are destined for the scrap heap really quickly.

It's a person with experience of global phenomenon as it applies to his work experience with bicycles; but something that is seen in countless products worldwide.

In the last 12 months alone, through work, I've come across two component failures in new bikes which lead to pretty nasty accidents; one was substandard seat post design the other a wheel which looked like it has been built by a drunk monkey and which failed within the housing estate. There was also the square taper bottom bracket which failed within about 100km; an old reliable simple design which under a race to the bottom on price lead to it being made from some plastic with subsequent failures.

At a €200 budget, at least prior to Covid inflation, there was no problem getting a reliable second hand bike for use. I bought a fixed gear On One for €200 about 4 years ago and I use it most days; it has had zero maintenance and is still perfectly functional. Previously I bought an old steel bike converted to single speed for €70 which was perfectly fine if rough as fcuk.

If you were to sell a new bike for €200 it would need to be really simple; single speed, heavy steel build. Something like this should be ok

That is going to be a better bet at being low cost to own than a similarly priced dual suspension mtb with 24 gears or whatever

Your "pretty nasty accidents" argument sounds like the same kind of almost accidents you hear anti-cyclists throw out. Like all the people who are almost killed by "all the red light breaking cyclists" or the "granny's afraid to leave their house cause of the path cyclists"

Why are we not hearing about these crashes all the time or experiencing them ourselves on our "crap bikes" all the time.

i must ask my dad does he have the receipts of the bikes he bought us growing up; knowing him, i'd give it a 33% chance. would be curious to compare the price of a kid's bike now with what one cost in the 80s.

i have a very vague memory that the raleigh memphis i was bought in probably 1989 cost £230. though that could have been the cost of the montage my brother got; they were not the bargain basement of the raleigh range, but according to the CSO calculator, that'd be over €500 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭cletus

I bought a Raleigh Scorpion in 1992 with my confirmation money. Cost me a little over £200.

It wasn't a kid's bike, though. Fella in the shop sold me an adult frame because "He'll grow into it"

I had it until 2001, when some prick stole it from the side of my house

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I bought a Raleigh Road Ace Select with Reynolds 531c frame, 753 forks and Shimano 600 from my LBS in 1988 for IR£644. According to friends and family at the time, it was 'crazy money to spend on a bike'.

I used to be the informal bike guy and one place I worked and I used to tune up people's bikes for them if I had time. Let me say, from that experience, that if anyone you know is offered an Apollo bike, dissuade them from taking it. They seem to require constant adjustment and still don't work properly.

To be fair, I didn't know anyone that came a cropper from using these really cheap bikes. I guess they don't scrimp to the point of using forks that would fail catastrophically in use, for example.

One subtle quality issue I had was buying entry-level Raleigh hybrids and using them to carry a lot of heavy-ish loads. I guess customers expected derailleur bikes to have at least seven speeds at the rear, and Raleigh duly obliged, but used screw-on freewheels to keep costs down. Nothing wrong with screw-on freewheels, but when you go beyond five speeds or so, there is too much axle protruding from the hub and axles are prone to breaking. And so it was. I spent a surprising amount of time replacing rear wheels, or slotting in new axles I salvaged from elsewhere.

I'd have been perfectly happy with a five-gear screw-on freewheel, and they might have offered that, if they weren't trying to meet unreasonable customer expectations for that price point.

looking back at cheap bikes i used to have, it's funny how easily the wheels buckled even though i probably weighed a few stone less, the rims were wider than the ones i use now, and they weren't reeally getting that much more abuse really?

granted, the wheels i have now are hands down better quality, but i wonder how much of that might have be due to them being assembled with a little bit more care vs. the wheels themselves being intrinsically better quality;

I had terrible problem with spokes breaking on my entry-level Raleighs, something that hasn't happened since I moved one price point up.

Bike I got for Christmas in 94 and rode until around 98 took some beating. It would have been up Bellewstown to work in the summer and to see a girl who lived 17-18km outside of town for a few years. Zero maintenance that I recall outside of having cables replaced when they snapped. Wheels would have seen a drop from a kerb or 1000

We got a bike each that year and no **** way had my folks the money for Treks or Giants in them days.

• Advertisement

I only found out as an adult that my dad used to true our wheels now and then when we'd gone to bed. Didn't even know he knew how to do that. Explains how little trouble the bikes gave us, to some extent, anyway.

Bit of an Elves and Shoemakers vibe.

Ah now I'm thinking I need to have a chat with my own Dad to see what was done to keep bluey running so long 😃

Wheels would have seen a drop from a kerb or 1000

i would expect wheels should be able to take essentially limitless drops from kerbs; dropping from a six inch kerb (assuming normal gravitational acceleration) means the wheel hits the ground at about 6km/h. hitting a pothole at say 25km/h or so would stress the wheel much more than that.

@Mods MB is using science again!!!!!!

that assumes that the front wheel is a perfectly spherical blackbody in thermal equilibrium in a vacuum, which i know rarely applies in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Don't want to create a new thread just for this- gels, with or without sugar? My first thought would be with as that'll give me extra energy....

Aptonia Energy Gel

• Weight: 32g
    • Carbohydrate: 23g
    • Sugar: 15g

SIS Go Isotonic Energy

• Weight: 60g
    • Carbohydrate: 22g
    • Sugar: 0.6g

Thanks,

Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ARX

What happens if it collides with a spherical cow?

kinda like a matter/antimatter explosion. and it'd void the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1. With the BTW, the employer has to sign a document verifying that the applicant is using the bicycle to travel to work. I don't think Revenue would accept the word of a private individual.
    2. I think the points he makes about cheap bikes have gone completely over your head. You give an example of a 'rich' person having 6 bikes and 20 wheelsets makes no sense. That 'rich' person's bikes will be viable to maintain/serviced/replace consumable items etc. However, replacing a chain, cassette, cables, pads, bar tape on a BSO will probable cost more than was initially paid for the bike - ie. it's not viable and in the insurance world would be 'written off'.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't work, you can't save what you don't pay. I agree with you in principle but it would make the scheme more complex from an accounting perspective and would need more oversight from revenue. The only way, and is still not as simple, would be too give a €500 rebate from revenue for every bike through the B2W, ban middle men so that bikes could be sold at 10% cheaper. This would still add on the fact that it would need to be run through Revenue and receipts submitted.

This might be a simpler way for the minimum standard rule, zero rate VAT bikes that meet it, but are specifically childrens bikes

Advertisement