Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public healthcare workers, who served onsite in a clinical Covid-19 exposed env. to receive 1k euro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Because staff from those Depts worked in those centres and still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

@Fandymo

Ah no why should you get it and not any other worker then. I know plenty of people in the public sector who had to work at there place ad what they did needed it. I also know plenty of people who had (chose) to use public transport also. So no just no. Gardai shop workers etc deserve it more

Edit thought I had piece quoted

Post edited by martingriff on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Not sure why they have to make a big public announcement about it. Just slip it into their paycheques for christ's sake and say nothing.

It's almost like they want everyone to turn on each other...

Plenty of people would have had to do those things in your question you are nothing special. Were you working in a clinical Covid exposed enviroment

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The public are in for a rude awakening when the magic money tree disappears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Pity they can’t fund this by deducting €10000 from the grotesque salaries of the public service fat cats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Another thing that's unknown is what is the timeframe you had to work to qualify? A friend of mine text me a month ago to say they were starting a new job as a swabber at a testing centre. Will they get the 1k tax free? What about those who are newly hired now?

What if you only worked in a centre for 2 months last summer? Do you still get the payment?

Very open ended from govt.

This is been given by them to there own workers who they pay. Everyone (well anyone who is serious) knows what a front line worker is, it has been used for years even in this site.

Were you working in a clinical covid exposed setting

Well no how about those who could not work due to the pandemic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

How do you define a clinical covid exposed setting?

Do admin staff who are situated in a hospital qualify for it? It's not quite straightforward. What about public health nurses who visit people in their homes? They normally work out of offices that may not be in a clinical setting yet they were/are front line healthcare workers. Loads of others in the same boat.

It's going to be messy.

How it's vert specific who can get it. I an not expecting it given I was not in a clinical exposed area and anyone who I know who works in the PS are not expecting it even if they were working at some point during the year. Most and I hope all unions will know to keep quiet. The only ones I be expecting to be added on are perhaps agency workers depending on time worked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭gifted

The various union vultures are circling looking for their piece of this €1000 for their members.......its not gonna be straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,250 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Agency staff are generally paid more...plus they are not employed by the HSE...why should they get it? They are essentially private sector...if they want to be public sector they should join

Govt were mad to suggest this. They should've looked after all those young student nurses who came back from Oz, US and UK and not even mention bonuses.

In fairness this time round I don't think the Unions actually sought this in the first place.

It was offered initially last year by Leo and the lads.

Who should get it anyone in the health services who were working in a place where they were working with people in a hospital GP nursing home or call to patients for the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Wont someone think of the poor teachers?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I worked as agency staff in the HSE for years and was paid the exact same as my HSE colleagues, bar the pension contribution. My hourly rate was taken straight from the HSE payscales.

If it's simply a matter of HSE vs. non-HSE workers, why have they explicitly stated that private hospice and nursing home workers are getting the payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,250 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That is not the norm from what I have heard. You were a private sector employee if you wanted to be paid more that is up to you or your agency to sort out. My husband works in healthcare the day rate for agency staff is astronomical.

I don't think anyone in the private sector should get it.

Have ye ever watched The Apprentice where the candidates all sit around 'brainstorming' about the latest project Lord Sugar has devised for them?

Well swap Donnelly, MM Leo and Foley for any of them and this is how this ridiculous farce has been dreamt up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I dont have any issue with this, once its the people who deserve it that get it, and the people who don't wont.

BUT, i have an issue with people being allowed to receive pay tax free.

One of two things should happen here, either its taxed or (and this is my preference) all employers should be allowed to pay their employees up to €1000 as a once off bonus this year as long as it is on top of their current contracted earnings.

Then let the employers who deem their employees worthy of the bonus to get it, and those who think their employees are not worthy to deal with the fallout of those employees voting with their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

my kids mother is working in the Hermitage which is a private hospital , but yet during the pandemic is was practically turned into a public hospital as they had to look after covid patients

she won't get this bonus as its a private hospital

fooking joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I think its decent. I wonder how they will organise it and are student nurses and caretakers etc. included? I'd add people in supermarkets. Be lost without them.

This with the €100, is populist, but they deserve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Sounds to me like they may include agency workers after all;

The Taoiseach told the Dáil that private healthcare workers who were "contracted by the HSE" and worked on the frontline are entitled to the payment. Micheál Martin said this was his "understanding", "subject to further clarification".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So much waffle in here. How come "x" is getting the payment but "y" isn't?

I'll tell you why, because retail staff, Gardai, teachers etc literally weren't working in covid wards, ICU or other heavy covid traffic areas in in hospitals. Most would balk at the idea of being in the same room as a covid patient, especially two years ago when nobody knew exactly what covid was with little or no PPE in sight for us, colleagues literally dying treating the general public.

Get over yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There are some issues around this though. My agency pay the HSE rates and I get the yearly rise but we didn't get a Christmas bonus like out HSE counterparts. Rumour is we will be getting the €1000 but with agencies I won't believe it till it's in writing.

Edit: I was wrong about their being bonuses.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not a big deal in grand scheme of things when you consider how much was spent on over the top restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I don't know anybody in the HSE who gets a Christmas bonus..any year. We certainly didn't get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People get bonuses all the time for just doing their job. I was a bar manager and got a bonus every 3 months for just doing my jobs. I also got free Premier League and other sports tickets for just doing my job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Advertisement