Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Black Widow

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

The whole world knew Rogers was Captain America and it it is clear that Red Guardian is talking the Captain America. The one Nathashia worked with.

The movie is great but I agree about how they handled the sterilisation of the women in the programme.

It was good moment for Yalena to have the outburst but the reaction they had Red Guardian do wrong in many ways.

Plus it was never brought up again.

If they had made Red Guardian react seriously to that moment he would have been believable as their father.

The issue was treated with more respect by Joss Whedon - which is kind of ironic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was a terrible piece of writing; a bit too snarky but Yalena's outburst was justified and earnest ... but Guardian's reaction was awful. Shades of that kind of "eww, woman's problems, gross!" reaction you'd have thought was nuked in the writers' room. Especially given later they made pains to show us this "family" working together; as you say the set-up was there for Guardian to atone for his sins, and being complicit in his "daughters" sterilisation. instead, they played it as a joke; hoho, men don't like hearing about women's health issues. Jaysus.

This a much way of saying what I wanted in the previous post.

thank you.

the moment killed the fun of the movie for quite some time afterward - and to be honest it felt completely alien to the movie it had been up to that point and the movie it was afterwards.

I also find it odd as it was women in control of the movie - yes not every woman cares about such a topic - I just find it surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I doubt Johansson cared about building up Pugh, if anything she likely supported it as it is the culture of most MCU films to introduce other characters - she benefited from it herself in IM2.

Understand your point regarding the risk to BW in the movie but that is the case for all prequels and it is very rare that a named hero dies in any movie. BW movie does however add to the level of new trauma when it comes to where she is mentally in Endgame and the sacrifice she makes, especially as we see in Hawkeye that

Yelena was snapped by Thanos so what she was doing was also to bring her back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

"Oh, we're going to do a more grounded movie about a lady who jumped off a cliff on planet Vormir after a red-faced war criminal who is now a space ghost explained that that was the only way to get her hands on the magic rock she wanted before a muscled-bound purple alien got it and completed his power glove?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I felt very similarly, whether the comment was right or wrong from our perspective his response fit into everything else we saw about the character - he loves the girls but his hopes and dreams for them was never what we'd expect from a normal parent, he saw them having a successful happy life being one where they were spies and killers. He never thought about what that cost them from a health or emotional perspective and when confronted with it here he deflects in the cowardly way he does repeatedly during the movie when things clash against his worldview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah it ever stood out to me as it was in character.

If he suddenly became emotional apologising asking forgiveness etc. it would have stuck out awfully. The response fitted the character.

No one criticising the moment suggested Red Guardian get all emotional and start apologising.

He could have been silent which showed he understood or it could also have shown that this was the first he knew of it.

Or let the let the moment as it (as Foxtrol says he never thought about the affect on the children) and later in that scene with Yalena before they are grabbed he says he is sorry this thing was done to her.

The way it is makes it feel it was brought just for laughs

Advertisement