Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council trees overshadowing solar panels

Options
  • 06-01-2022 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any success asking council to trim/top trees on council property which cause shadowing issues with solar panels? Am looking to install panels but might be shafted by 2 council trees (DLRCC).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Can of petrol + zippo or a wayward "firework" ?! LOL

Jokes aside though, I've the same problem across the road from me in D16. 80ft trees pretty much stop production in the mid afternoon. Don't have my system in long enough to know about what it will effect me in high summer when the angles are different, but I can't see them coming out and chopping off 20-30ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Probably need to come up with some safety reasons for tall trees.

Either near power lines, risk of falling in a storm, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Ha, D16 here too. I think I'll be ok in high summer, I *think* the shading will be less intrusive due to sun being higher and getting over the top of them. For now....

Might be worth an email though, I'd love to do my bit for global warming etc, but your trees are preventing me from doing so....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What’s DLRCC?

Dun laghaoire rathdown county council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

If you are seriously thinking of doing i would wait until summer to confirm if there be an effect... bring out a contractor for price and tell this person the reason you cannot proceed is because of sun being blocked... These companies that are registered as a group to carry out Government grant aided work seem to have a bit of clout as there is usually a spokesperson for the group....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think I'd be better off in summer ironically, as the height of the sun in the sky would likely clear them - for now. It's winter when I need to generate as much power as possible that I would likely have worst impact, even from bare branches

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

Might optimisers be the answer, within your control and not depending on any Local Authority intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they in a public park? 80 foot tall trees owned by the council would be rare as street trees, i'd have guessed.

anyway, there's a certain irony in chopping back trees to provide renewable energy.

i need to read up on them to see how/what they can do. I might be able to split an array towards east and west as the trees are more or less directly due south of the house, so morning sun and mid-afternoon sun would be clear of shadowing i think. If it was sunny I could look at checking the shadowing through the day currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The full sized tree is doing much more for global warming than sticking some solar panels onto your roof.

Go east west and if the trees come down then add more to the south.

East/West is very effective

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

I have the same issue, I got my panels installed sept 2020. I have shading on my panels facing South east and got optimisers fitted on 4 of them. I checked on the South Dublin CC, there’s a section on tree dept and they won’t prune or top tree’s for the like’s of solar panels, satellite reception or Cctv. They will trim them as part of maintenance, and just before Xmas they done the tree’s on our road and they took about 10ft off the top.

Do the optimisers help?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

They do, I have 6 panels on front of house 2 on top and 4 on bottom, I have optimisers on the bottom 4. They maximise output when shading hits them for about an hour in the morning, otherwise you can lose total output.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I also have council tree shading but only for Nov-Feb when generation is brutal anyhow so financially the Optimisers not worth it so I spent the money on extra panels on rear NE facing part of the house.

If the shading is year around then worth it but if on the poor months of the year then do your numbers as to whether financially worth it.

As an aside I had the council out last year as the trees overhang my garden by 13ft and if they fall will hit my roof and also any car parked in my driveway and they showed no concern. A council tree has previously fallen and totalled a car parked in a driveway in my estate.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Only installed solar in Oct last and I've topped 6 trees, removed one and halved a row of Leylandi hedge. I should have done it years ago but it was solar panels that focused the mind.

• Advertisement

Response from last week email :we can't top healthy trees but we might be able to prune them in a way which is not detrimental. Send us some pics.

Better than an outright "no", at least for now....

Post edited by kenmc on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, topping deciduous trees is a recipe for disaster or just making them look really ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Chopping bits of a healthy tree is not going to go well for the tree - you sure you want to have rotting or dying trees outside your house - Im sure your neighbours wouldn't be impressed anyway.

Probably for no reason either - as you probably don't need direct sun on the solar panels - ambient light over the course of a day should be fine.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

What is the point of cutting down large trees so you can install solar panels?

Are you think in terms of CO2 mitigation or some kind of vanity solar project?

Where I used to live, amazing trees were cut down so increase light to apartments - until the whole place felt way more industrial.

Maybe you ought to think this through!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If trees are of a height they are causing shading on your roof then you have the inevitable fallen tree in a storm to be concerned with, it happens and it will happen again and this includes perfectly healthy trees. Councils should only plant trees with a maximum height near houses.

We can't put vertical wind turbines in our gardens in case they fall onto neighbours property yet council ignore trees that can fall on houses never mind someone in the garden at the time, cars, pets, sheds, huts etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Pruning or trimming plants does not kill them!

True dat - in fact trimming them can help keep them healthy for longer. However, if solar panel shading is the problem.....is it likely to be much of an issue in 3-4 weeks when the sun is higher. Might be more work than it's worth for the few weeks a year that one string is affected?

(I ask not knowing your situation, trees/panels/orienation/etc)

I don't know, is the answer. First thing many installers have replied when Google mapping my eircode, is "that tree may be a problem".

Not sure even how to know if it'll be a problem or not without installing and measuring

• Advertisement

You can probably work it out with a bit of trigonometry before install. Math will always see you right :-)

To be fair Ken, I face a similar problem myself. Trees across the road from me kill production on my west facing array right now at 3:30 or there abouts. Course with sunset at 4:30 at the moment, it's only knocking off an hour or so from the production and at that only on days which are sunny, as production on the days which aren't sunny are rubbish anyway. In summtime with the sun more "overhead" anyway, it should be fine, it'll clear those tree until 6-7pm.

For me an easier way to solve it was to simply put 2x extra panels onto my East facing array. Yeah, I've still got the tree impacting the west ones in the late afternoon at the moment, but I grab the sun when I can earlier now and it goes into the battery anyway.

Advertisement