Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

As someone who stocks convenience multiples (spar and the likes), i can say the managers of such stores are not one bit happy over this.

it won’t make a wit of difference to the real problem drinkers who will find ways to get their sauce regardless. These people already pay the exorbitant prices that the “on trade” dictate, so the more expensive cans won’t make much difference to them

the REAL problem drinkers are lads and lassies on brandy and turps first thing in the morning, again this price increase won’t make a damn all of difference to them.

This on top of having to organise for the store to have “separate” alcohol sections something which was not straightforward for many of the smaller players.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,694 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I find it actually hilarious tbh. I've been telling family about this legislation for however many years now. But legislation is boring. Sent them all a WhatsApp of the actual prices changes this week and they're all up in arms.

Shows you how much reality people like to understand until reality comes swinging into their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They didnt want to communicate it or advertise it. It would have been a shitstorm and might not have even gotten through. Something doesnt smell right about this. That shower of cnuts AAI remind me of the iona institue cnuts. Probably a connection somwhere

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Aye, laws and dail debates are boring and dry but when the price is on the cash register almost laughing at them that’s when it sinks in for most folk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

I was listening to the Chairperson (?) of AAI on Newstalk this evening. A few totally dishonest statements including saying that because it wasn't a tax but a minimum price, people couldn't just go North for cheaper alcohol. The first part is true, the second totally misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Healy Raes make far more from their convenience stores than their pubs these days, I'd bet the house on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Not a hope in hell of Ni throwing away this advantage. ( They’d be mad to)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

I got half price perlenbacher in Lidl today, 50 cent a can, as much as i could carry.

I stood with FF even through the recession, but this is the one for me that breaks the camels back, Nanny state, I will not vote for them after this.

It is utterly wrong, I will drive to the nearest border town and stock up every few months rather than pay the prices I have seen on the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'd say there most profitable thing is still the plant hire?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

Every other party supported it too,I can't remember such cross party support on any other issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

750ml of Santa Rita wine now 8 euro with MUP. Where I live at the moment you can pick up a 1.5 litre bottle of it in the supermarket for just over 3 euro. I haven't suddenly become a raging, uncontrollable alcoholic because of it's affordability.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Juran

On the news this evening, store managers & off licence owners up North telling the Irish reporter that they were ready for the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,042 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Wow

FF bankrupted the country, plunged us into recession, their leaders were found to be corrupt, scandal follows them at every turn.

Yet it was the price of cheap booze that caused you to give up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublingreen

Anywhere doing deals on Guinness still tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublingreen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's not alcohol action Ireland that got these rules implemented. It's the LVA and VFI in order to make home drinking less attractive vs the pubs.

AAI are being used as political patsies to conceal the true motivation and create a veneer of public health policy otherwise this wouldn't have gotten through the EU. This is all about market intervention, nothing more and a sip to publicans who have seen their trade fall significantly as anti drink driving laws and overall cultural shift has occured. In any case the measure will likely fail to arrest the decline in pub trade in the long term, as it's not just price that means people are consuming less within them, because culture towards pubs has changed too. The pub is no longer the centre of the community it once was.

As far as I know cirrhosis of the liver doesn't create a distinction between alcohol consumed in a pub or at home, so a genuine public health measure would be to use excise duty to create the minimum price floor.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the river of alcohol that will flow down the M1 as a result of this.

This is what will ultimately cause the measure to fail. Within an hour's drive of the border there won't be an off license viable and that will turn the screw on this being watered down.

I fully believe that this measure will damage the government politically more than any covid one. That said, it did have all party backing I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Its the little things, allways the little things that does the damage in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The opposition really cant lose on this one. Once people start realising what this legislation means to them, they wont really care much that the opposition also supported it. It will be the government parties who will bare the brunt of the blame and anger for this.

You can see this with comments in other threads about how the government needs to be turfed out due to various covid restrictions being introduced, even though the opposition have all mostly stated they would bring in the same or even more severe restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Try online and order to collect tomorrow or get them to deliver. No idea if online stops at 10pm too, as they won't be delivered tonight. but just in case, you have 20 minutes. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Add to that, it is very easy to show this up for what it actually is, and it's not for our greater health.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The opposition parties actually voted for MUP in the Dail.

They would have to do the mother of all flip flops to come out against it now.

My bet is they will do a bit of bleating about the timing of the introduction and cross border trade just to score a few points.

After that they will sit tight keep schtum and hope NI move swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,042 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But what opposition is going to take the government to task ?

The opposition will not be asking questions in the Dail about this.

In reality I doubt any TD will lose a seat over this, some people may be annoyed, but it's unlikely to he high on people's list when it comes to voting.

Equally no TD or party is going to stand up and claim it's an injustice that poor families are disadvantaged because they are struggling to afford booze, just like they may be struggling to afford food, clothes, fuel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Alcohol Action Ireland need to be folded up like NPHET and other kill joy or dooms day organisations. Charity organisations should never be funded by the tax payer as that is fraudulant. Like private organisations, charities should remain voluntary and untethered to the tax payer as much as possible. Having our leaders do so is a virtue signal and a grift. Why should we punish the many for the mistakes of the few?

Our country should be run more like a business and less like charity (as is the case with Alcohol Action Ireland) or more recently like a hospital (puppeted by NPHET and their draconian economy crippling measures). Civil liberties and free-market capitalism should never be demonized quite to the degree it is being done especially, in the last 2 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Opposition parties get to oppose stuff they voted for when they weren't in Government all the time (SF supported the Bank Guarantee for instance!). Free shot basically.

Free shots are, of course, illegal since last years legislation anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's absolute nonsense when we are so near NI, although I do think alcohol is too cheap here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I still think they will keep their heads down on it for a while.

The only way for them to get free shots now is to order a round in the Dail bar, stick it on the tab and forget to pay 🙂

You've aimed your ire at the wrong parties. AAI and other health advocates have been ignored for decades. The only reason this is being implemented is because publicans lobbied for it as they felt they were being undercut by supermarket multiples.

The first idea on this front was to ban loss leader alcohol sales, but to my knowledge that was never implemented because the wholesale price of beer is quite low - it's produced with relatively cheap ingredients on an industrial scale. It would not have the desired impact of reducing off-trade. Or rather make buying pints in a pub relatively more attractive price wise

The lobby groups then moved onto MUP, which had to wait for the Scottish law to make its way through Europe iirc.

This BS has been 10+ years in the making. As I said, it's a political gift to publicans who have seen their businesses impacted by other policy measures - notably drink driving policy. However, rather than innovate, the LVA and VFA chose to attack it's potential customers.

I think this will be really interesting where this goes from here. A lot of people are used to their €20 slab and will notice now that it's doubled in cost. It's fairly rare that a policy change causes such stark changes in price - usually it's a couple of percent here and there, which can go unnoticed.

We won't see an uprising over it, but politicians, particularly government ones, will get it on the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Jeff2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I was talking tonight with my elderly father tonight and he has predicted two things, this will drive the population bitterly against the Government and that both FF and FG will suffer heavily for it. This will kill innocent people who drink laced drink now with methanol, he remembers the 1960's and upto to the 1980's that Poitin was a big thing in rural Ireland because drink was so expensive and people were broke. He fully expects a revival of Poitin but when criminals get involved they will cut it with anything from methanol to hand sanitizer. Poitin was made alot in Kerry and Cork in those olden days

Advertisement