Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,954 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good interview with Warren Spector, he who brought us Deus Ex. Perhaps nothing too new or revelatory but fun to hear the man speak of the process.

And now, because I invoked the name, at least a dozen of you are reinstalling Deus Ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

There's a trio of Tomb Raider games free on Epic Game Store at the moment. I haven't played any TR games since the PS1 originals so might finally get around to giving them a go.

I think the names of the games go a long way to explain why I haven't got around to playing them because they're a bit confusing when you haven't been following the series. There's Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration, there's Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, and there's Tomb Raider Game of The Year edition. I have literally no idea what order these games are in, if they're direct sequels of each other, if they're reboots, if they're remakes, or what (yes I know I can just look it up...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yeah it's a reboot trilogy with a connective story. For anyone wondering it goes Tomb Raider (GOTY), Rise, then Shadow.

I've played every major (non-mobile) TR game since 1996 except for Shadow and I still had to look up the order 🤪

Nice free games. Played the first two, they're good games well worth playing. 3rd jas been on the to do list for a long time, I'm pretty sure it's been and gone on game pass which I never got round to playing so it's good to be able to pick it up for free again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just finished Halo Infinite. Good game. But just as I type this the credits are rolling on the screen. Man, there really is no difference from movies and games anymore with the amount of people who work on a project.

No wonder we get a lot of the same ol same ol in aaa games. Too much money at stake to be taking big risks. Kinda miss the ps2 days.

Edit.

Credits are over 20 minutes long. Sheesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Said I'd hold off on another playthrough until my SteamDeck arrives but here I am downloading it for the Switch. Loved series 2, totally captures the vibe of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Nooo. The next gen version is a few months away!

Have the blood and stone dlc or whatever its called saved for the next gen enhancement. Although I'll either still be playing Valhalla or only just finished it and will have no desire to tackle another RPG. Oh and there's Halo Infinite as well which definitely has to be played first. So yeah I guess I won't be playing Witcher 3 after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hearts of stone is the first expansion and absolutely brilliant. Blood and wine is the second expansion was a better game than most full games released. I'm looking forward to my next gen Witcher playthrough for that alone. I haven't played vahalla but I've a feeling blood and wine alone will piss all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Witcher on Netflix gave me cravings for the game too, but as the next-gen upgrade isn't out yet for TW3 I went for Thronebreaker, the Gwent game instead.

It's great, but it crashes a hell of a lot. It's absolutely ridiculous at times. There was one point it took me over 5 tries to even get into the game because it kept crashing loading the main menu. Really spoils the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,954 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God I must really try to swallow my hatred of the tutorial and overall feel of the thing, and give Witcher 3 another attempt.

Took me a while to get into it too, and there's a section in the middle of the game that is just god-awful in terms of pacing. I still wouldn't have the reverence for it that most do, but for the most part it is a great game.

I could never get into TW3. I found the actual RPG mechanics (great story =/= great RPG) to be too shallow. But if the upgrade is free I might give it another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone played Kena? It's on sale and I might get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Playing it at the moment, finding it good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

RE Kena: Pondering on it, reviews were very mixed with some saying it lacked in story and depth and has a play through time of just 9-10hrs. I mean, I'm not looking for anything very thorough right now just want some eye candy, but they do tend to throw you off. I don't think it's worth €40, but atm it's 29.99 on Epic and I have a €10 voucher on there, I think it might be worth €20

[edit] I think I talked myself into it, nothing else I fancied using the voucher on, so downloading now 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What I get from it is that it does absolutely nothing new and is a carbon copy of Zelda but it does it well and looks very pretty.

It's more a throw back to older ps2/ps3 '3D platformers' like beyond good & evil or Jak and Dexter, I don't get Zelda series vibes from it at all. I think that's a go-to comparison for every other adventure platformer that gets released. Bit like saying The Witcher series was a carbon copy of the Elder scrolls series

Ah I wasn't suggesting Valhalla is better than Witcher 3. Just that it'll take me months to finish it and by then the last thing I'll want to do is get into another Rpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah wasn't jumping in to defend Witcher dlc, Just recommending to try it at some stage :)

• Advertisement

I sunk 150hrs into TW3 before finishing, and I still have a tonne of side quests left unfinished. It's certainly not anything close to a 'casual' game. Like you I can only handle one 'epic' sized game at a time. I started the first expansion but was suffering a bit of burnout at the time after just completeing the main, but damn, is it worth it! Must get back to the DLC soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I found that as soon as you get past the bloody/drunken baron quest the game opens up. But I will say the Skellige arc can drag a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Steam at it again!!!

I own Arma Cold War assault from when it was free in 2014 but its gone from my account as someone just gifted it to me.

I also have the disc version of it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And the Dandeloin arc... The only bit I'm not looking forward to on the next gen update. And it goes on...

I thought the Baron quest was one of the better ones overall tbh, but you're right it really gets going from there onward.

'Now where did i put me bloody vodka!?'

The game really gets going after 20 hours. 😁

Yeah that was the worst for me.

Find Dandelion

*15 missions later*

Find Dandelion and produce a play

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is Kena ever coming to Xbox? I could get it on PC but prefer playing on Xbox for achievements.

Time was I'd probably be fine with that but funny how circumstances change. Nowadays that feels like an unreasonable investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Timed exclusive, Ember Studios (only 10 of them!) had an exclusivity deal with Sony for consoles and Epic for PC, but it's expected to have a Xbox and Switch release too. Unless Sony buy them up in the meantime. Or someone else.

Advertisement