Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Leaving aside your personal viewing preferences the simple answer to your question is that the reason you pay the TV licence is that it is used to pay for Public Service Broadcasting.

Maybe some Christmas soon we will get an unexpected present from the Government and the TV licence will be replaced by direct funding from general taxation.

Imagine, television free to air just like radio is now, a real Christmas miracle 🙂

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I see the Dancing with the Staff ads are going full on now……

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Grainne Seoige getting another fifteen minutes,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd imagine they will still be repeating it 3 times a week, getting 7.5 hours of prime TV polluted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

I'm really sick to the teeth of seeing my TV licence fee being squandered on this kind of sh1te.

Trim RTE down to a quarter of its current size, get rid of the rediculously overpaid staff and their cronies, cancel the rerurns of BBC shows, and those bought in from Australia, the, USA etc. (almost all of which can be seen elsewhere) - then let's have one TV channel and one radio station, for true public service broadcasting.

TG4 to be given full responsibility for Irish language broadcasting, along with full control of RNaG,

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Please, everyone, email Eamon Ryan as Minister for Communications, and copy all of your local TDs, calling for an end to this nonsense at RTE.

Email : minister.ryan@decc.gov.ie

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Plus the newspapers will be flooded with the usual 'sob' stories they print for each contestant. They always print sob stories.

I can predict a couple of them. I know one of the 'contestants' only got famous for playing the victim. Had some falling out with an atrocious 'Irish rap group'. If you haven't heard of that group, don't worry-that just means you are legally able to drink or donate blood. (Though probably best not to do both at the same time).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And of course Strictly will now provide so much filler content for other RTE shows like Ray Darcy and Claire Byrne.

So it's a great big circle of cr@p.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

First time home in a few years, the subtle incorrect statements were the first thing I noticed on RTE..

surely “supported by your TV License” which is what I have see both times I watched RTE over the past 5 days.. should be “PAID by your TV License”?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Advertisement

Welcome home.

You are correct that RTE is funded by the TV licence but it also gets income from other sources ie. advertising.

Individual programmes may be sponsored. For instance the much maligned (see above) "Dancing With The Stars" is sponsored by Muller.

Other programmes my be joint productions or receive funding from outside sources ie. Screen Ireland (formerly Irish Film Board).

So given the mix of funding sources "supported by your TV Licence" is probably more accurate than "paid by your TV License".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Thank you for pointing that out. Nice to see someone respectful and informative without pointing out my obvious second language spelling error.

i think it was the angelus or something that said supported by the licenCe (license is correct in the US) 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

not that surprised that the rte guide still sells well its a habit for a lot of people dispite the array of tv guides in any paper there is a big enough cohort of people who mainly watch rte because its irish and features irish people . The same folk love to read what the rte stars are doing for xmas etc and never tire of the usual suspects telling them what they are doing .

Honestly how much would Muller be putting up? €?K an episode? Plus the multiple repeats and ads for the show its probably cheaper than having to produce an advert and pay for it to be shown

I don't know, I expect that's what they call commercially sensitive.

The company must think it's worthwhile anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Problem with this approach for the government is if you maintained the current funding system you'd massively ramp up resentment of the licence fee among people who mainly watch RTE for Dancing With The Stars etc.

As I said it's probably cheaper than making an ad and paying for it to be shown, they are struggling to sell advertising, seen stuff for a furniture shop on over Christmas, kind of place that would normally advertise on local radio

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

The future of media commission has turned into a big waste of time as it has apparently recommended that RTE should be funded directly from general taxation, something that nobody in the Dail supports, there is also a lack of political will to bring in an new household levy, So I think we should stick with the model we already have but the licence should be increased by 16€ from 2022 (hasn't been increased since 2008) and by €1 per year from 2023 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭bureau2009

What an awesome idea 💡 💡 💡

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Isnt the main problem the fact that lots of people dont buy a licence ? They take their chances, that needs to be the first port of call rectified before you increase it for the % of the population that are bothering to pay in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Quags

Increase TV Licence money so that RTE can do re-runs of shows from years ago, make dramas that nobody watches & pay over inflated wages to their staff.No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hello there Ryan, looking for a salary bump are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

After the way RTE have behaved throughout Covid, no way. Disgraceful broadcasting.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The reason that RTE show so many repeats now is that it's been 14 years since the licence fee increased. Imagine if everyone's income was frozen at January 2008 rates ? In 2008, a postage stamp cost 60cent, the minimum wage was €7.50 per hour, a box of 20 cigarettes was €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I already pay €160 so you can have your RTE, though I dont consume any of their output. No way should I be paying more to subsidise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Between 2002 and 2006 it went up by over €50 according to Wikipedia so you could argue it was over priced for a long time and the current price is the correct price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

i wonder what the true percentage figure is that people actually pay.

RTE is willing to accommodate debates featuring people with alternative views on Covid but such people don't agree to appear on RTE, Gemma O'Doherty and Johns waters were both offered the opportunity to appear on a debate about Covid but they both refused, RTE also offered Dr Marcus DeBrun the opportunity but he said only if you give 10k to charity.

I'd like to see it scrapped or made voluntary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i haven't had a TV or a device that could be used as a TV for years. TV licence fees should be added into broadband costs or scrapped altogether. the whole concept needs rethinking.

Advertisement