Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the Thankers left boards!

Options
  • 14-12-2021 6:38pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This place seems a lot less 'Thank'ful than before the meltdown of 0-Twenty. Not just AH, but other forums too. All the Thankers left or wha?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm not saying it's you, but I'll just drop this here...

Over what time period? Your thx to post ratio is awful.Maybe the fine art of thankswhoring is being lost, kinda like traditional crafts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I mainly read/post in the farming forum, and I'd say 80% of all the regular users whose name cropped up there daily, are gone.

Weeks down, and a clunky interface just broke them off the habit, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,955 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thank you , hope this helps 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I still thank posts that I agree with or find useful, just good manners, but I've also been here far too long.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Thanks count got reset at the system migration during the summer.

My facetious point isn’t about me, though. It’s that despite all the complaints about the switch, the death of boards, etc., it’s actually still going on just as before. We’ve adapted already.

God be good to the days where an opening post would get a few hundred 'thanks'.

I think OPs have definitely felt the wrath of the site migration most.

My own PB was 190-ish thanks.

Thanks count was definitely down when the migration first happened and it was a “Like” button. We as a community definitely did not want that.

Boards in general is ramping up a bit again. People never like change, and there was a considerable loss of functionality which annoyed people greatly. Generally cranky people wouldn’t be inclined to be thanking much.

Things have definitely changed around here, less people posting. Also there was a time on boards where calling people names got a warning or ban. People stuck to the point but didn’t resort to name calling. That seems to have changed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The place is dead compared to what it was before.

Yet there’s 700 odd posts arguing back and forth about Santa kissing a man in a Scandinavian ad. Classic Boards!

In fairness, I’m not saying there isn’t problems with the site, and it certainly is quieter. But it’s not the wasteland that (ironically) many people claim it is.

The last 600 are the same 5 or 6 people going back and forth repeating the same points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I don’t know (nor do you) but the structure of the thread looks exactly like any similar thread pre-platform change. I took a quick look through some random pages, and saw plenty of variety of posters - there’s some repeat posters, but many unique ones. Boards always had that mix. Nothing about it stands out to me. Like I said, classic Boards - a prolonged discussion about a trivial subject.

An awful lot of mods were lost. I believe it has been not very mod-friendly and very hard to find your assigned relevant reported posts. Previously the filters worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

A big reason why boards is slowly dying is because absolutely nobody aged under 25 posts on it, unless they were 12 when they joined.

It’s also pretty much turned into a right wing echo chamber for Middle Aged grumps who think society peaked in 2005 and any social progress since then is “too far.”

The quality of the debate and moderation is absolutely shocking as well. The magic words to end any discussion are “you don’t really believe that” or “of course you already know that,” followed by a smug recline to the back of their gaming chairs, doughy arms folded over their flabby protruding stomachs. If you don’t have the courage of your own convictions, then obviously nobody else does. You can’t be the only coward.

Forthright posters with sincere beliefs are threatened with bans for being “uncivil” or “trolling.” On the flip side: homophobic or racist dog whistlers are allowed to post with impunity, because they’re regulars. One poster literally posts regularly about grooming teenagers and nobody bats an eyelid. Unless you point it out and you get a ban.

The gay Santa thread is hilarious in particular. Homophobes start a homophobic discussion and cry like babies when people call them homophobes. That’s what this site is like. Middle Aged crying crybabies. Boohoo 👶

I had to re-sign up to Boards due to a glitch, have about 2500 posts in 3 months, and 2.9K thanks. That’s more thanks than posts, so going on that I wouldn’t imagine my own “thank rate” is down, although I can’t honestly recall what it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I knew what was worth reading at the end of the day by checking the most thanks posts of the day, it's one of the things I miss about the old boards

Any thread on race, feminism, homophobia, immigration, transgenderism etc could write itself these days. Very predictable.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I dont think anyone could argue that this place is as good as it was.

The quality of the site has gone down since the re-platforming. This drove away many of the better quality posters. And so the quality of content has gone down.

And yet here I am...

I think I lost thanks during the transition, anybody else see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I want a thumbs down button…to use on libs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If you want to up your thank score without much effort just reply to any post with 'utter nonsense'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Guide to getting thanks on boards.

Reddit.

Copy the funny pics.

Plagiarise the funny posts.

Post them in the YLYL thread days/weeks/months after they're relevant.

Take all the credit and thanks.

• Advertisement

Not really reading subsequent posts:

My diagnosis: The usual 'Thankers' don't want to incur the disapproval of the rest of their clique here by thanking your post.

Maybe the 'Thank' has increased in unit value like Bitcoin.

I really don't know. Maybe pm some mods and tell them you'll thank 5 of their posts for every one 'Thanks' they give to your post.

Advertisement