Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭OU812

I got an innr one for a bathroom, didn’t seem much point in putting a hue in there. Was about £9 and connects with the hue system with a little jiggerypokery.

But… it keeps disconnecting, flickers a lot, total pain. I’m going to put a white only hue in there to keep the system the same.

long story short, wouldn’t recommend off brand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

We got some ledvance and they integrated perfectly. The only issue is the colours aren't as good and the lower bound of their brightness is much higher than the Hue bulbs. Not the best night lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

Although I didn't connect ikea bulbs to hue hub, i read that it is possible. i was reading about it when I ran out of the 50 devices limit with hue. now my smart things has all ikea or hive bulbs connected to them (50+) while hue has 40 or so bulbs. so wants to suggest that ikea, hue, hive - all bulbs work on the same tech and they were pretty easy to connect to a different system - it is worth trying out since ikea is so cheap.

ikea - big big pro is that they are super cheap.

cons -

1. slightly more effort to pair, but then that is a one time effort
    2. their lowest brightness isn't too dim. e.g. on a hue bulb scale of 1%-100%, an ikea bulb goes from 40%-100% sort of. i.e. when you set an ikea bulb to 1%, its brightness matches a hue bulb's 40% brightness.

i now have more ikea bulbs than hue bulbs in my house and the price factor made it definitely worth it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Have these been launched yet? Checked the website but nothing about new product release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Anyone in Dublin happen to have a spare hue bridge they would be willing to part with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I would also be interested in the slight chance there are two available 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I've just connected 2 groups of 4 White GU10 lamps to my Hue system. I wanted colour, but they are out of stock. My thoughts as follows:

1. They are not as sophisticated as the Hue ones, as the LEDs are bigger. However they cover a similar light spectrum to the Hue. I'm using them in a bedroom, and they're grand. I'm not so sure about using them in the main living areas.
    2. Connecting to the hue bridge is a bit fiddly. I connected them one at a time by first turning the bulb on/off 6 times. The bulb is in connect mode when it flashes.
    3. Basic functionality, such as changing brightness or colour temperature, is fine with the Hue App, or Google home.
    4. Advanced automations, including Hue Labs, don't appear to work.
    5. Grouping Hue and IKEA lamps is problematic. Sometimes only the Hue lamps are controlled.
    6. They are not compatible with Apple HomeKit.

I also tried white spectrum IKEA/Tradfri lamps for the utility room and wardrobe. My overall sense is that they work well and are very cost effective, compare to Hue. However, if you want the full range of Hue functionality, such as automatic colour schemes, I suspect that they are unsuitable. (IKEA had no colour bulbs, that I could try out, in stock.)

I know this query is a bit old, but the above info might help someone. The link to the lamps: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-gu10-345-lumen-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-90486785/

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

hi - first foray into Hue lights. I have got a bridge which I am trying to set up. It has connected fine but requires an update so I have set that in motion, however it has been in Preparing mode for the last 20 minutes or so. Should I just leave it or is there something wrong?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just leave it… updates can take a while, especially the last big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Thanks - took your advice. All set up now and working well.

• Advertisement

Has anyone got more than one bridge?

have had some spotlights put in which will bring the total light count to 54, that’s before I start on garden lighting.

Was thinking of splitting them into upstairs and downstairs (outside will have to go on the upstairs ones as there’s 44 lights downstairs alone).

Is there any lag? Is it easy enough to move lights between the hubs?

Also, while I’m at it @AndyBoBandy, you’re probably the best one to answer this.

The Hue Ambiance white. Do they have the same brightness and look of the coloured ones when it comes to nightlight, reading and bright??

Yes, the White Ambiance does all the full suite of warm to cold whites, which would include the dim warm nightlight setting… as well as read, relax, concentrate & energise, exactly the same as the colour ambiance bulbs (just obviously without the colours)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I am just starting out, have two bulbs which really are just used as normal bulbs but I want to replace the kitchen etc. I am just wondering as buying everything new should I buy the hub or just use the bluetooth? everything will be controlled via Alexa

You need a Hue bridge to get started, keep an eye out for black friday deals on a starter pack. Be prepared, it's an expensive rabbit hole you are going down. I have all rooms in Hue, 14 bulbs, 3 dimmers, 2 motion sensors, 2 Led strips but have bought everything when on sale and never bought when out of sale!

Yes I am waiting for the Black Friday....thanks

I seem to have an issue with voice control. The button doesn’t appear to activate when setting up control by Siri.

Works for adding users or apps

very strange an infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

hi,

query on linking ikea TRÅDFRI lights to hue bridge. After they have been integrated, how well do they work together? I’ll have hue bulbs in different rooms to the ikea ones. Can I control both from the hue app? Any issues with google home after linking them? Do I need to do anything to the ikea lights like update firmware before I add to the hue setup?

Any advice appreciated!

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The TRÅDFRI lights work fine with the app. I have 4 GU10 in a bedroom, along with Philips colour lamps. I can control the lamps individually, as their own group, or at room level. I have separate room level scenes for nighttime and for morning.

I didn't update their firmware, as I don't have a TRÅDFRI Hub. There are means around that, but too much trouble as they are working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

Any opinions on a plug that will work with hue that I can either attach an extension lead to or a hue compatible extension lead .

I want to be able to plug in my Christmas tree lights (3 or 4 sets) and want to try and use Black Friday to get them

Philips have a hue smart plug, it integrates perfectly & is set up in the app but is expensive for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

From the link https://www.lidl.ie/smart-home

it looks like lidl are doing the hue compatible smart home stuff on the 10th Dec. They have smart plugs that are really good (don`t buy the 4 block extension that doesn`t work with hue). I have about 4 of these are work fine.

Hopefully they will have some motion sensors this time around. Anyone tried the lidl light switch?

So spent around 300 euro on Philips from Amazon yesterday, then checked this morning and seen the below from Germany. Are these any good and do they work with Hue or am I better sticking with Philips stuff?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07SFW356R?tag=haggle-web-de-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&language=en_GB

My own personal opinion would be to stick with Hue…

I believe the Innr & IKEA stuff do indeed with with Hue Bridges, but have heard tales of laggy reactions in these threads…..

I also believe some smart bulbs (though not sure whether IKEA or Innr) will only do a minimum brightness level of about 30%, meaning you couldn’t use them effectively as night lights…. Whereas the Hue bulbs go down much lower.. probably to around ~5%

What is the cheapest way to replace your standard on/off switch for Hue?

I bought the dimmer and one of these for one of the main rooms but will work out expensive if for all rooms

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IYOKI%C2%AE-Standard-Switch-Philips-Dimmer/dp/B09B8PQLRN/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=hue+switch+cover&qid=1638351138&sr=8-5

Why replace the traditional on/off switches? Just leave them as is and eventually folk will learn to not touch them (it's only taken my OH about 6-7 years...)

I have dimmer switches in almost every room, but the truth is they are rarely used because I have the entire house lighting automated, either through timed routines or by using Hue motion sensors.

I simply install the Dimmer switches next to the traditional light switches;

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I picked up one of the Lamps for outside recently: https://www.philips-hue.com/nl-be/p/hue-white-and-color-ambiance-impress-buitenwandlamp/1742930P7

Unfortunately the cable entry point is at the bottom right, which doesn't align so nicely on my wall in respect to the windows and doors . If I turn the lamp upside down with the cable entry at the top left, then if looks great. However the manual specifically states that it has a top and bottom and the way it should be installed.

Any reason I shouldn't install it upside down? It looks the exact same either way, and it has a screw at both the top and bottom for installation, so that can't be the reason. I could bore a new hole for the cable in the face plate, but that would leave the other hole unsealed and open to water getting in.

Edit: I noticed there is a similar version with motion detection, maybe the same manual is used for both, and here it would make sense if the motion sensor was on the wrong end.

I installed the exact same 'Impress' light back in October.

Regarding the top/bottom orientation, It shouldn't really matter as long as you install the rubber gland correctly, which should seal the unit.

Double check all around it for no vent holes etc... as I don't think there are any, but I'd say fire away and install upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nice one, I installed it upside down and no issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Did you split into 2 hubs, if so, how did you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

i kept the original switches but covered them using a switch cover from amazon. makes it obvious to any guests cleaners etc. that it shouldn't be switched off - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XHXN59W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. and I have 3 switches in the home that I need to switch on/off manually - one for each bathroom - so this is a good indicator for which DO need manual toggling

Advertisement