Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This country is amazing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You misunderstood the article you read. At no point were more than a handful of people in prison for not paying a TV licence. Still too many I agree but your 1,000 figure is off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

The people who choose not to pay their TV licence fee are being jailed for the simple reason that if they weren't then the vast majority of the public would follow suit and not pay. Its the same as refusing to pay income tax. It has nothing to do with the crime itself but the knock on effect that allowing them off would have across society. Floodgates would open.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

Why is this attitude not taken when it comes to beat downs? If you put a couple of scumbags in jail, others will follow suit and stop attacking innocents.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

They still have their lives ruined with a criminal record and have to put "jailed" on any vetting forms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The answer to that is simple. No one in official Ireland actually gives a crap about this taxi driver but they do care that people are compliant and keeping the money rolling in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

This guy punched the head off a taxi driver in 2018 and he's only in court now? Is that not odd in itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You didn't read the article properly... he had a difficult upbringing... now that's our fault....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,198 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Take sentencing out of the hands of judges might be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Bring in jury sentencing? 12 people, from all walks of life decide the sentence for every crime.

The backlog is bad enough without making it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am going to disagree with the general trend on this one, that case would be ideal for restorative justice if the taxi driver agreed the perpetrator does not have any other conviction, does not seem to be generally violent, having to sit down opposite the taxi drive cold stone sober and listen to the effect the attack hand on him would be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Builld some prisons for a start and bring in automatic sentencing with grounds for reducing sentences being decided on a strict matrix of mitigating factors by panel of jurors not judges or boards packed with appointees

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

You're deluded if you think he'd care one bit. Probably laugh in his face and punch him again if he thought he'd get away with it.

Its mad that people actually think that people like this can be reasoned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So a racist, scumbag professional MMA fighter, smashes a man teeth in, goes back looking to do more damage, all because he believes he was ‘disrespected’ because he was asked to pay money up front for a service he would have to pay for anyway... but he doesn’t get a custodial sentence..???

its precisely for this reason and cûntbucket judges like this that our streets are so dangerous... not to mention the plethora of violent urchins that seem to be prevalent in society... they know there is sweet fûck all consequence to their behavior..

if he didn’t like being asked for the cash and I might not have been too enamored myself he can pay or leave the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

TV license dodgers are easier to handle in prisons than violent thugs.

They are thinking about the welfare of the prison guards.

This is the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why do people take something from 7 years ago that they don't understand in the first place and then make wild ASSumptions.

1 - You NEVER went to prison for not paying TV licence. You could got to prison for not adhering to a court issued fine. Whether that's a TV licence, speeding fine, littering fine or parking fine, makes little difference. Any prison time was for refusing to adhere to a court direction.

2 - New procedures were introduced in 2017 to deal with those refusing to pay court fines. They can now be deducted from wages and social welfare payment or community service can sometime be done too. Only in cases where people literally stick two fingers up to the courts system constantly and refuse to engage in any meaningful way, is prison now considered.

a very basic google search would have given the OP this information

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The legal profession can do as they please... there is an example of the senior Gardai in Dublin a couple of weeks ago... He is entitled to free legal aid...

We need to wake up as a people...

I like this idea on one prevision: the victim has a say in the sentencing.

If he can convince the taxi driver he deserves no conviction, then he should have no conviction. If he can't, then he gets a proper sentence.

And no lawyers /solicitors. Just him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sounds great in theory until you are sitting in the courtroom facing the thug who gave you a dig and who you know, regardless of what you say, will be out and about at 2 or 3 years at the latest. He might not be SCC material but you still might not want to be the one that decides how long he is in for.

• Advertisement

Doesn;t have to be in a courtroom. I'm assuming that the guilty verdict has already been recorded, no reason why the meeting couldnt be conducted in private with only the judge present.

Also, 2 or 3 years is an imporvement on what's currently on the table. Plus pretty much in line with what I think people should get for assault.

Justice is administered in public. Either the judge decides in public on his own, or the vitcim's public feelings on the matter are taken into account. The judge cannot be seen to decide ad-hoc and attribute his decision to some confidential consultations he did or did not have with the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

He's not. Nothing stops him from delivering the sentence in a public courtroom. Nor does it exempt him from justifying his decision.

A witness impact statement is not what was proposed. What was proposed was the victim being able to decide the sentence and you said it could be done in private with only the judge present.

Amended. But the rest of my points still stand.

Well, tbh, I'm not sure what that those points are now.

I don't think the victim should have any direct input into the sentence. Because that then places the victim in an intimidating position - especially in a case where the victim is assaulted by someone who is on the scumbag side of the human spectrum and has scumbag friends who might not like that the victim stood up and say "3 year judge' rather than "let him go judge"

The system cannot have the victim do this in private because then you are going to have sceanrio where there are two identical cases and judge one comes out and says "defendant A gets 5 years" and then comes out later and says "defendant B gets to go home" and attributes that to some confidential chat he may have had with a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The justice system shouldn't have to be told of the impact of a violent crime on the victim.

No, it is relevant. Because different victims might be affected by the same act to different extents. The accused is responsible for the full extent of those wrongs/injuries once they did something illegal to start it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is a recipe for victim intimidation. Terrible idea.

Advertisement