Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kidnapped female French jogger made up whole thing...

Options

Comments

What are you talking about?

I said a comment that is woman hatey has indeed come up: "Women lying and stirring up sht which goes on to get men beaten/imprisoned/killed/executed is about as old a story as you can find.

its discovery of the wheel old".

You quoted me so I assumed you were referring to my post. My bad.

How and ever it doesn't really detract from the fact that 200 cops were mobilised and all the rest and anyone who had any doubts would instantly be called a woman hater and a piece of **** by certain posters who are remarkably quiet on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd imagine that most of us never heard of this story before it was known to be a hoax and there was no stage at which doubt existed as to what the truth was.

In such cases where the truth is not known and people with no insight to the truth are casting doubt then their motives are likely to be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The same posters who were telling men as a collective that they must change their ways when Sarah Everard was murdered. There was even a lad on that thread who said that men should start taking pills to suppress their testosterone levels.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Exactly. It's grim and depressing if a woman or girl alleges she has been sexually assaulted or raped and people suspect her of lying because there is a minority of devious women. Imagine the hurt of being sexually assaulted and reading such poisonous stuff. I don't know how it isn't indicative of a dodgy attitude to women to see us all as potential liars out to ruin a man's life for no reason. It's like me condemning all men because of the behaviour of a minority of people who happen to be male. Very simplistic stuff. And there are hardline feminists who do hate all men because of the behaviour of a minority, which the same folk would (correctly) find objectionable but have no qualms applying the same logic to all women.

In this case though, it has been evidenced that the woman was pulling a sick, scummy stunt so of course there aren't people saying the critics of her are woman haters. I don't know what the point of such commentary is, other than "gotcha!"

• Advertisement

Yeah in fairness that's just polarising shite. All men are not responsible for the behaviour of that woman's killer. And normal men changing their behaviour isn't going to stop dangerous predators from being dangerous predators.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's hardly a week that goes by without a plea from parents to a teen to come home. Either stormed out in a strop, doing it for the craic, needing more attention, shares and likes.

She must have run out of bullsh1t to tell the police.

See here's the problem, it apparently has to be black and white. Doubting someone's story (and I doubt everything I hear, from men, women, if it's about sport or politics or anything) is apparently ghastly but people who doubt a woman's story is called a woman hater instantly by a large cohort.

See the spiking thread. Don't automatically believe everyone who says they were spiked and it's because you hate women. Never mind that my dad and a mate have told me they think they were spiked, mate was 9 pints in when he forgets what happened. Dad was on medication and hadn't had a drink in a few years and after 4 was in bits. Do I think it's possible? Absolutely. Do I hate men because I don't automatically believe them? I don't think anyone is going to suggest that. However doubting a woman's story is ghastly.

Also this story was on the front page of the BBC all week and I was waiting for the clusterfuck thread well before the fact she was just a lying piece of **** came out.

Exactly. It's grim and depressing if a woman or girl alleges she has been sexually assaulted or raped and people suspect her of lying because there is a minority of devious women. Imagine the hurt of being sexually assaulted and reading such poisonous stuff. I don't know how it isn't indicative of a dodgy attitude to women to see us all as potential liars out to ruin a man's life for no reason.

There's a lot of truth there but you have to consider real life experience. Most men have had relationships (short or longer) with women who were manipulative, or outright lied to them. Get a group of middle aged single men together, ask the question about dodgy women in their past, and you'll get a wide range of accounts of women who mistreated them in one way or another. The assumption is that this kind of behavior is rare.. but it's not really all that rare. That's not to say that most men would consider it a basis for judging all other women they meet, but the experience tends to remain with them all the same. There tends to be the characteristic difference between the genders that men are essentially direct in expressing themselves, but women are the opposite. Yes, it's a stereotype, but it's a stereotype that has been reinforced many times for most people.

Just as you're projecting the feelings/experiences of the minority of women who were abused on to the majority, and expecting those without those experiences, to somehow understand and appreciate them. On the one had you're expecting women to be treated differently., and at the same time, expecting all women to appreciate in the same way.

It's like me condemning all men because of the behaviour of a minority of people who happen to be male. Very simplistic stuff. And there are hardline feminists who do hate all men because of the behaviour of a minority, which the same folk would (correctly) find objectionable but have no qualms applying the same logic to all women.

Except that's not the case, since women are perceived in society to be more likely than men to be victims. Invariably, when men are considered to be victims, they're held responsible for allowing it to happen to them. However, for women, they're expected to be more vulnerable and victim blaming is a serious no no. There are big differences in how the genders are treated when things go wrong...

As for the simplistic stuff of blaming all men.. yes, it is simplistic, but the simplistic appeals to many people. The differences in physical strength between men and women reinforces that belief. But more importantly, the expectation that women will be victims, whereas men are responsible, changes the dynamic, so that the genders are not treated equally.

In this case though, it has been evidenced that the woman was pulling a sick, scummy stunt so of course there aren't people saying the critics of her are woman haters. I don't know what the point of such commentary is, other than "gotcha!

Just on this thread, though. Which is why it's such a surprise to the posters here. On other threads, there would be a rush of posters wanting to find excuses for her behavior.

I'm talking about the "what do you expect from those devious creatures women?" type views. That women, simply due to being women, can be expected to behave that way.

I know people can bullsh1t about being spiked, or absurdly believe it happened to them when they just consumed a stupid amount of drink. I also don't see anything wrong with "maybe they were, maybe they weren't" reasoning when it comes to sexual assault. My objection is to the flat-out "bullsh1t" comments.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Most men have had relationships with such women? That's a hell of a statement. And based on nothing other than your personal perspective, which can't be deemed the big picture.

Then again, maybe most people HAVE had an experience of being with a sh1tty partner - but male or female.

Where am I "projecting the feelings/experiences of the minority of women"?

And whether the simplistic appeals or not, it's still dumb and lacking critical thinking.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Most men have had relationships with such women? That's a hell of a statement. And based on nothing other than your personal perspective, which can't be deemed the big picture.

As opposed to yours, which is somehow more accurate. and appropriate? 😂

As for it being based on my personal perspective, not really, since if you ever spend some time reading literature (online/offline) from men, a lot of those kind of impressions are repeated. (It's also born out in works of fiction, especially character driven plots, which tend to portray women as being deeper thinkers than men, with 'a lot more going on than the obvious' surface expressions.) Now, perhaps you'll think that worthy of being dismissed as a stereotype (you suggested as much earlier in the thread), but it does reflect the double standards when it comes to these kinds of topics. #IbelieveHer.

The metoo movement reinforced that same belief system in the modern sense, where claims of anonymous women were made and expected to be believed (and acted upon by the mob), without any formal investigations. That's not to say that the metoo movement was without merit, but it continued a previous trend of projecting guilt on to men, and the expectation that women's claims should always be believed, and accepted. The same impression of women being victims in society was reinforced, with men being made to pick up the responsibility in every possible situation (sometimes rightly so, but quite often, it wasn't the case)

Where am I "projecting the feelings/experiences of the minority of women"?

By your claim that most women would/should appreciate "the hurt of being sexually assaulted and reading such poisonous stuff". This is a common enough expression by female posters expecting other women to just understand... something that they themselves likely have not experienced themselves. And it is a minority of women (compared to the whole) who have experienced such firsthand. (unless you want to exaggerate and ignore crime statistics)

And whether the simplistic appeals or not, it's still dumb and lacking critical thinking.

I completely agree... it's indicative of the overall online movement with social media taking the leading position when these kind of topics are covered.

I didn't say anything about my personal perspective on relationships actually. I surmised in response to your claim that maybe most people have been in a relationship with a toxic person, male or female. Women don't have the monopoly on sh1tty behaviour.

I didn't project anything on anyone. I said it must be hurtful for those who have experienced sexual assault not to be believed. I think it's weird to take exception to such a comment.

I actually have reservations about #metoo though - probably for the same reasons that you have. Such a movement can cause scope for a free-for-all and does a disservice to those who actually have been assaulted.

It's one thing to have your own personal prejudices regarding certain areas of interaction between the sexes but when you share them with others you move into different territory.

When you start projecting them onto reported cases and publishing them on forums like this one you can expect to be challenged.

If you don't have some insight into a particular incident it's probably best to suspend judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Really? You want examples?

I mean its very easy to google such things. Just try 'false allegation' with words like 'jailed' or 'comatose'.

Its just another one of those architypal/classic/heard it all before parts of life. Its one of those standard background human things, like snobbery or bullying or gossip.

The girl who lied and got some guys ass kicked/imprisoned. What next, the youngfella who took it too far while showing off. The two friends who broke up over money. The rich kid who is a egomaniacal little sht. The politician who pocketed public money. The super respectable guy who goes demonic after a drink.

If you havent heard the ol' 'girl crying crocodile tears' story 100 times already dont worry, it pops up regularly.

Heres one : The 1992 convictions of VanDyke Perry and Gregory Counts 

I didn't say anything about my personal perspective on relationships actually.

I didn't say you did... you, on the other hand, took what I said and sought to limit it to my personal experience.

I didn't project anything on anyone. I said it must be hurtful for those who have experienced sexual assault not to be believed. I think it's weird to take exception to such a comment.

I didn't take exception to a comment... I took exception to the wording of the comment and the context in which it was placed in the overall statement...

I actually have reservations about #metoo though - probably for the same reasons that you have. Such a movement can cause scope for a free-for-all and does a disservice to those who actually have been assaulted.

Agreed. Although, it's not really "can" but rather "did".

If you don't have some insight into a particular incident it's probably best to suspend judgement.

What kind of insight would that be? As for judgment, I'll assume you meant expressing an opinion on the topic.

In any case, I disagree. It's the internet, and we're all here because we like to discuss a wide variety of topics, many of which we won't have any direct personal experience of ourselves. To just stay quiet limits our ability to grow in both terms of knowledge, and the appreciation of other viewpoints, besides the testing of our own views.

I'd say to everyone to speak their mind, be tested, and learn from the experience.

False allegations happen. All kinds of despicable behaviours by scummy people, male and female, happen. These people are a minority, not the norm, but the damage they do can be quite devastating.

What I'm wondering about is the way in your first post you phrased it as though people can't turn left or right for women ruining men's lives, as though this is a trait inherent in womanhood.

I still don't understand why you take exception to me saying you can't hold up personal perspective - and bias - as evidence of the bigger picture. Anecdotes are not data.

What's the issue with saying not being believed must be hurtful for assault victims?

What I mean is if you are sitting behind a keyboard discussing an incident in a different country that you know little or nothing about you might be better off suspending judgement.

That's just advice not an instruction.

As for discussing topics and ideas of course that is why we are here.

• Advertisement

haha... because you seemed to believe your own were valid... before you objected to my own statement, you expressed your own, expecting others to accept them... so yeah, I tend to notice double standards being applied.

What's the issue with saying not being believed must be hurtful for assault victims?

what's the deal with changing what I objected to? You've done this a few times now. I didn't mention it before because it didn't really matter, but you've decided to run with it.

Also, look back to my original objection, as I explained why I was objecting.

I'm in my mid 40s, and have spent almost two decades going to the south of France for holidays.. but how would you know that from any of my posts...? You wouldn't. Just as you don't know what knowledge any poster has about the topic in question... until they express and expand on that opinion.

Look. this is going nowhere, and it doesn't matter. Let's just leave this at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,601 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I find it funny she was caught in a kebab shop , for some reason.

Really no need for the faux haha snark. There's no double standard because I didn't use my personal perspective/bias as evidence of the bigger picture.

I'm not changing anything - I'm just not clear on what you mean about projecting when all I said was it must be hurtful for assault survivors when not believed.

But I'm not "up to" anything. I just object to "Women are xyz" when bad behaviour can be found by either sex. This case is about a sh1tty individual. Not women.

If there was a story about a man being found guilty of sexual assault, you'd hardly be ok with some dopes coming along and saying it's an indictment of "men". And actually Buttonftw said that does happen.

This is going nowhere, and I have no interest in fighting the shifting of goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I would love to say I was shocked with how this thread was going when I came into it but sadly I am not. We have the suspects who have been waiting in bated breath for a case like this to totally demonise this person and do the 1 thing that they hate people do and this is generalise. The only thing this case shows is the importance that all case and kept in the upmost anonymity until has been fully investigated and done in court. I do agree that if a case is found to be totally false and the person known lied and is proven as such that they should be some punishment.

What this case has not done is made a case for a case not to be looked at by the police and courts

I'm genuinely not moving the goalposts. I think one of us has gotten the wrong end of the stick.

But anyway, yeah she's a dangerous weapon and thankfully it hasn't gone any further so that lives can't be ruined. She deserves a hefty sanction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭beachhead

Crazy logic.Wasting police time must a good thing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭beachhead

The boardsies fallback - give us the evidence/examples.In the absence of any arguement

• Advertisement

The assertion contained in that post is that there are oceans of women out to ruin men's lives, so yes, I'll refute such misogyny, depicting us as innately scheming witches. Seeing as it's everywhere one looks, plenty of examples should be forthcoming. It wasn't in absence of argument either. I've several other posts to this thread. And what's wrong with asking for evidence when it comes to anything? Shouldn't be a problem if there's so much of it.

As would you if some man-hater came along and said women can't get through the day without being sexually assaulted.

It isn't denial that it happens BTW, it's an objection to the statement that it's so extremely widespread.

Advertisement