Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Homelander

The 2021 reboot of Wrong Turn.

I expected very little and while I'm not sure much was delivered beyond that it's actually not terrible overall and it's quite different from what I expected.

If you can accept it's a fairly stupid premise, it is entertaining and most definitely doesn't try to punch above its weight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Copshop (2021)

The cinematic equivalent of a cocktease: in that, it spent much time winking at chaos to come in the style of Rio Bravo or Assault on Precinct 13 - but it never truly materialised. Maybe that was on me, but I did feel the time spent establishing the geography of the police station was in service of a coming siege. Meanwhile, the presence of Gerard Butler also promised interpersonal action that never came; the actor having a single scene, tops. Alexis Louder did well though, the actual lead despite the presence of headliners Butler & Frank Grillo; she had the right cocktail of swagger - but again, never really got the chance to show it off either. Certainly, the movie's tone and funky styling in its soundtrack and credits hinted at a Tarantino'esque B Movie, but never had the confidence to just run with the carnage. A big disappointment.

Perhaps the biggest annoyance was - for me - an egregious disregard for Checkov's Gun:

Where all the exterior shots of the Police Station featured a huge propane tank sitting in the parking lot. The kind of tank that would surely be exploded during the siege, maybe during the finale. Nope, never happened, not even as a fakeout. Now that's just unforgiveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I like most of Butlers and Grillos films, but this was just dung.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Velvet Underground - aha, so this is how you make a 'cinematic' retrospective music documentary about an iconic band! Todd Haines is less concerned with a definitive account of the Velvets' history, and much, much more interested in presenting a cinematic celebration and reflection on the art and imagery of that era. You get talking heads and plenty of insight from John Cale and Moe Tucker, but in many ways, this is the polar opposite of The Sparks Brothers - whereas that was exhaustingly comprehensive, this is more about emulating the spirit of the 1960s NYC art and music scene. He manages to even pull it off! The film is a more freeform collage of imagery from the time, often layering four or five or more images on the screen at once. Even when the talking heads are on screen, they're often just part of the hypnotic stream of footage. Well worth a look, and is on Apple TV+.

The Exorcist - I'm never going to come around to Mark Kermode's view of this as the greatest film ever made (let alone the best horror film), but it's a damn good horror film nonetheless. I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager, and it's still surprising just how sedate it is - for all its infamy, the horrifying images are relatively infrequent, and hit harder because of it.

The Exorcist III - mainly rewatched the above to get around to this, as I'd heard some buzz recently that it's an underappreciated horror sequel. I can certainly see that, although even more so than the original William Peter Blatty is perhaps non-plussed about making a traditional 'horror' film. While there's one all-timer of a jump scare (chop chop), this is a psychological and philosophical chiller for much of its runtime (often too chatty even), and in many ways a predecessor to the following year's Silence of the Lambs with its serial killer interrogation scenes. In this case, it's an excellent Brad Dourif as the Gemini Killer - an executed psychopath who seems to have possessed the body of Father Karras from the original film. No, it doesn't make much sense in action either.

This is the theatrical cut, which was compromised as the studio demanded more overt links to the first film - hence a glorified cameo for Jason Miller, and a final act exorcism scene that is clearly bolted on but it is at very least directed with some reluctant gusto by Blatty (as he said in interviews, he may as well do it well if he had to do it). Will have to give the included director's 'Legion' cut a look, although I wanted to watch the original first as the director's cut is assembled using some rough videotape footage of otherwise lost scenes.

There's some great imagery throughout the film, and some very entertaining performances (George C Scott is all-in here, to the point of occasionally just roaring at other actors). A clearly compromised vision and rather too much dialoguing hold it back, but it's a worthy curio nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Halloween'

The 2018 "rebootle" that seeks to destroy the multiple sequels that spawned after John Carpenter's smash hit 1978 slasher is a bit of a damp squib. While not terrible, it's completely pedestrian and contains absolutely nothing we haven't seen before from the genre.

Although beginning kinda stupidly, it settles down into a fairly well acted piece, with Jaime Lee Curtis taking the honours in her reprisal of the permanently tormented Laurie Strode, rendered here as a grannie that's spent decades preparing for Michael Myer's inevitable return. It's all so obvious what's going to happen in the film and there is nothing new at all here for anyone familiar with Carpenter's film, the many Halloween sequels, or slashers in general.

2018's lazily titled 'Halloween' is effective enough, though, if largely harmless. But it does have a good bit of fat that needed better trimming in the editing room. Everything to do with Laurie's daughter is just sort of unnecessary and I ended up feeling that it would have been better to merely focus on the relationship between Grandmother and Granddaughter, without the pauses to focus on her boring offspring's tedious middle class life. There are a some other scenes, too, that leave you wondering why they were included, and there is also an atrocious "twist" that really never needed to exist, which comes off as one desperate last idea that was had late into the production.

The movie also misses Carpenter's touch and It's all filmed in a very perfunctory, if perfectly fine, manner. Not that a slasher film has to be anything but serviceable and respectful to the tropes of its, admittedly, tired genre. But, there's nothing stand out about Blumhouse's 'Halloween' and while I couldn't care less about every sequel from 'Halloween IV' onwards, I have to admit to being mildly irked about its destruction of 'Halloween II', which I've always liked. The wonderfully bizarre 'Halloween III' still exists in its own universe, of course, and we can all be...er...thankful? for that, I guess.

6/10

'Halloween Kills'

David Gordon Green's sequel to his 2018 franchise reboot (and series nuker) manages to squander all of the good will that that film garnered several years ago with a clumsy and misshapen follow up that feels empty and at the same time incredibly bloated. The 2018 'Halloween', although a bit flabby in itself, never felt as lost as the story does here and it made a fairly wise choice of limiting the number of characters that appear on the screen, even if one or two could have been eliminated completely. 'Halloween Kills' on the other hand is absolutely stuffed with secondary people and nearly every one of them is irritating in some way. It also features an awful "we're the real monsters" segment that is simply cringe worthy as we follow a flash mob who vow to hunt down Michael Myers with the repetitive and infuriating chant of "evil dies tonight".

In a good move Green took a leaf out the original 'Halloween II' and sets his own sequel on the same night that his 2018 film took place so there's no need to ponder what Myers was doing for the years in between movies. Also, like 'Halloween II', he also sets much of this story in a hospital where Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) again spends much of the running time recovering from her injuries. But unfortunately it's all so deathly dull, unlike the 1981 movie where the unusually quiet hospital served to be somewhat creepy. Here it's just a fairly realistic hospital that's used as a location for the movie's insipid vigilante midway sequence.

Returning with Curtis are Judy Greer and Andi Matichak as Strode's daughter and granddaughter, but a lot of the screen is taken up with Tommy Doyle (Anthony Michael Hall), the kid that Laurie babysat in the original 1978 film. Doyle (re)appeared in 'Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers' played creepily by Paul Rudd, but here he's more of an everyman. An ordinary middle aged bloke from Illinois who becomes the frontman for the previously mentioned chant obsessed angry mob. Also making a reappearance from 1978 is Nancy Stephens as Marion Chambers, the nurse that was seen with Dr. Loomis at the beginning of 'Halloween' and Kyle Richards who played Lindsey Wallace, the little girl that Laurie and her friend Annie were babysitting four decades ago. It's a nice touch to have them all back, but it's also clear that they've been away from major roles for a long time, too, as none of them appear to be terribly comfortable in their parts, with Hall becoming more and more annoying as the film goes on. The scene in the bar at the beginning of the film, where we see them remembering Halloween night of 40 years ago feels really odd, as well, and there's just an awkward atmosphere to everything that happens there. Why would Marion Chambers and Lindsey Wallace even know each other at this point? Also showing up from the 1978 film is Lonnie Elam (Robert Longstreet), who was last seen getting taunted by Dr. Loomis and Leigh Brackett, father of Annie and one time town Sheriff, now a hospital security guard in his old age. Do people not move out of Haddonfield? Or even retire? It all feels like the most heavy handed type of fan servicing and desperate attempts to make a link with Carpenter's movie.

That isn't the only problem with with the script though. There are numerous issues sprinkled throughout and it definitely feels like the whole thing was quite a labour to write. In nuking the entire franchise from 'Halloween II', the film makers have cornered themselves into a bizarre world where Michael's (relatively tepid) murder spree has sorta defined the entire town, who seem incapable of shrugging off his four murders from 40 years previously. Laurie Strode's reoccurring trauma over the incident makes sense, but would Haddonfield really be "haunted" by Michael Myers for so long? Has nothing else bad ever happened there?

Also, at an hour an forty-five minutes, the film is just too long and time is taken up with completely pointless characters, like the couple who live in the old Myers house. That entire segment could be eliminated and the story would lose nothing. In fact, a good half hour of the film could go and nothing would change that much, except for the leaner screen time that would result. I suppose that somebody would have ended up living in the old spook house eventually, but we spend too much time with them and its bogs the pace down. And pacing is one of the film's worst sins and you are constantly waiting for it to get going. David Gordon Green can have his moments, but too often he falls flat.

As it stands, 'Halloween Kills' ends up being a bit of a mess, but one that might please the more undemanding fan. It's not as bad as some of the woeful sequels that the series has seen over the 40 years of its existence, but it just doesn't keep up the ok(ish) entertainment factor that its immediate predecessor had.

God only knows what they are going to try for the (hopefully) final film, 'Halloween Ends', but Jamie Lee Curtis has hinted that it's going to really get up the noses of fans. To be honest, they must be half way there already with this film.

3/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Titane:

winner of this year's palme d'or. If you've seen Ducournau's first film "raw", then you know she's in to some weird shi t, and Titane certainly doesn't disappoint on that front. it's an extreme movie, beautifully shot, bizarrely engrossing, which stays with you for a while. watch it if you dare, but don't read about it before. This will be a real marmite film. personally, i loved it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I finally watched Pig last night, and really liked it. Structurally it kind of is "John Wick but with a pig", but with chefs instead of gangsters. But because the hook is the characterisation rather than fighting, we get something with more heft to it. Not one if you're looking for a Friday night action movie, but definitely worth watching if you want a gorgeously filmed character story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Observe and Report, underrated dark comedy imo

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Guilty (2021)

Never seen the original film so can't comment from a comparative point of view. Bizarrely this is the second Antoine Fuqua film I've seen in about a week, this one being marginally better than the god-awful Infinite. Still, a rollicking premise here was squandered by a really off kilter, unlikable performance from Jake Gyllenhaal. He has played angry cops before but with a bit more fragility; here he's just an unprofessional, hateful àss. The tension was nicely stirred though, even if the camera never let a scene's emotion properly settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Shy People (1987)

Drama. A woman who lives in New York and writes for Cosmopolitan discovers that there is a branch of her family who lives way down in the Louisiana swamp. Intrigued, she decides to go down there to write a story about them, taking her rebellious young daughter along for the adventure.

Although the film goes a bit heavy on certain stereotypes, the atmosphere and the acting make this a really compelling watch. It's not that well known of a film because I think it had some distribution issues which prevented it getting to a wider audience at the time of its release, which is a shame. The cast is good, the setting is good, the story is good and the music is good. Recommended if you're looking for a diamond in the rough type of film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

They Live

Carpenters 80s Sci fi / horror crossover really hits the mark in the current post covid / social media heavy world we live in. Aliens have infiltrated the world and assumed positions of wealth and power, placing humans that are complicit in equal positions of power. Using subliminal messaging the rest of mankind are urged to "conform" "consume" "don't challenge authority" and other similar controlling measures.

A movie ahead of its time in many respects, it doesn't get the appreciation that something like Romeros Dawn of the Dead gets for its social commentary on consumerism but its a damn entertaining and worth while watch.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭monkeyactive

Herself

Moving Irish Drama about a mother who decides to self build a budget house after she escapes an abusive domestic relationship. I enjoyed. Strong portrayal of the realities of domestic abuse and its effect on children.

8/10

Dune 2021

Denis Villeneuve wont let you down. It oozes style and is finally an on screen adaptation worthy of the source material. Epic.

9.8/10

And there is talk now of two sequels to this by Carpenter himself - They Laugh and They Love

They Live has an absolutely barnstorming first half but I always felt the last acts let the side down; the concept better than what the story does with it, and things just seemed to drift aimlessly to a contrived end (though the very last scene was rather brilliant).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Wolfman (2010)

Since it's Halloween time, I decided to give this a go. It has a good cast featuring Benicio del Toro, Emily Blunt and Anthony Hopkins. It's a disappointing movie despite it having actors I normally enjoy. No scary moments, and I spotted the supposed twist a mile away. I gather it won an Academy Award for best make-up and yet I didn't enjoy the design of the werewolf itself. I like a werewolf design that has that distinctive wolf'a snout.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Yeh, it really runs out of steam in the second part unfortunately. I just think Carpenter became lost with the story. It's funny, for years I disliked 'They Live', but I kept watching it for some reason until eventually it clicked. Kinda like 'Big Trouble in Little China'. They're offbeat, to say the least. These days both get a regular run out on my tele.

As far as potential sequels are concerned though...no, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, the design was very much based on the Lon Chaney Jr original which was a nice nostalgic touch, but not one that inspired terror! The make-up was done by Rick Baker who also did An American Werewolf in London, and The Howling, but he was very much limited by the design choice.

^

Had high hopes for that film when I heard that Rick Baker was going to be doing the makeup. But unfortunately just about every part of that production was a failure to some degree. Remember being very disappointed with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Went to see 'Deadly Cuts' the other night. I enjoyed it and it appeared most of the others there did too.

Lots of average jokes, a couple of good ones but overall a harmless night's entertainment.

• Advertisement

Shy People 1987

Watched this last night, really excellent film. Totally under the radar with no distribution at all almost according to Ebert.

As soon as the film starts you know you are in for a treat with the cinematography, beautifully shot and directed. Some of the dialogue in it is powerful, and some excellent performances all round. Would have won a bunch of awards had it been released properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Agree with all of that. Also, I discovered that Patrick Swayze has a brother, Don Swayze, from this film, and he's got some acting chops based on the performance given, and he's worked steadily in Hollywood for close to 40 years, but I can only find one interview of his on Youtube in all that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Body of Lies (2008)

Just watched it on Netflix, good cast, good director, turned out to be like a bad episode of Homeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Watched Rise of the footsoldier: origins. I had not seen any of the other movies but thought I would give it a shot. Fairly standard hard man uk gangster movie with one notable exception. An actress gets to deliver what must be one of the worst lines in cinema dialogue.

The scene is that her husband gets home from an all-nighter. He says it was business but she suspects a woman. She shouts "let me smell your cock!". Our hero denies everything and then washes his member in the next scene.... the perfect crime 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seven Samurai - back on the big screen, where it belongs.

This is my second viewing of this, probably 15 years or so since my first. Some moments stuck with me, but I don't think I appreciated just how good this film truly is until this rewatch. 'Seven Samurai = excellent' is hardly a hot take, but by god it really is excellent.

When I say it puts modern action movies to shame, that's an understatement: it absolutely piledrives modern action films into the ground. Kurosawa breaks the film into three pretty distinct acts: the setup, the build-up and the payoff. Each is roughly equal in length - a good hour and a bit each - and that's the key. We spend an hour firmly setting up the stakes (poor villagers need a group of samurai to protect them from bandits) and meeting the samurai who take up the job. We spend another hour with the villagers and samurai methodologically preparing for the bandits' arrival, building up characters and laying out the geography. And then the battle comes, and every single minute of the character-building, scene-setting and tension-building pays off. It's all so effortlessly thrilling, funny, fleet-footed. When things start going wrong - and Kurosawa insists on not making these samurai invincible superheroes, let alone the villagers - it hits hard.

It's a 205-minute film that feels like a mere fraction of that, so perfectly crafted and entertaining a thing it is. It's the sort of classic film everyone should watch: far from being old-fashioned or laborious, it's still fresh, exciting and accessible. It is a pretty much perfect film, and in another 50-100 years it will still be a pretty much perfect film.

^

It's probably another case of cinematic heresy, but that is a film I could just never get into. I've sat down to it about three times since the 90's and, while I think it's good, each time I've come away from it thinking what is it that I'm missing.

Frankly, I consider 'Yojimbo' to be a much more entertaining film.

Dopesick is enthralling so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) , a bank heist film with a very young Al Pacino, a well done gritty and claustrophobic film

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Pacino's best work was unquestionably in the 70's when he put the effort into method acting.

• Advertisement

Finch -2021

The man who can do no wrong Tom Hanks does his version of Benji, Zach and the Alien Prince, or there are indeed many things you could compare this to. But it doesn’t seem to matter, or didnt to me at least because this is a very enjoyable, if simple watch.

Advertisement