Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Seems pretty clear that Biden doesn’t see a trade deal happening.

Even if they wanted to it would more than likely take up to a decade to negotiate.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/07/how-long-do-trade-deals-take-after-brexit/

I just wonder what other pressure he could bring to bear though.

From a trade point of view from a UK-US trade deal is mostly of no relevance to the US but would have big positives for the UK (in theory anyway and if done right) but there's really no practical reason why the US would rush into anything like that and also it had been ripping up trade deals under the previous administration, including NAFTA.

Politically and practically in the US such a deal has nothing going for it and could even look bad from an Irish American point of view and undermine EU-US trade relations

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I agree , sort of.

When the EU do take action , it must be swift and utterly decisive to force a swift resolution.

But - As Seth says if the EU make the first move then it simply feeds the Tory mantra of "the big bad EU" so it's equally crucial that the EU don't make the 1st move in this space.

So far , as frustrating as it might seem from the outside , I think the EU are playing it right. Let the UK sabre rattle and throw all the shapes they like while their economy steadily disintegrates beneath them, voter dissatisfaction will hopefully eventually force them to act like adults here.

However if the UK actually invoke Article 16 or take some other major unilateral move , then the EU should unleash the full force of sanctions and barriers instantly and without any concessions to decisively and quickly reach the inevitable conclusion.

UK is not a priority for the US. Even Boris realises that now.

This explains why trade deals take years to negotiate albeit WTO deals https://youtu.be/TNduNUvyq-8

Well that and he's basically British Trump, so the Democrats will be giving him a very wide berth and avoiding like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Who polices the UK on the Irish sea border? If the UK essentially invoke A16 withpit actually stating it, who's to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

My problem with this view is that they are going to blame the EU anyway. If the UK engages in this level of bad faith, then the EU can only use the only real tool it has - economic sanctions. The UK needs to be hurt to such an extent that it is broken - or throws the Brexiters out.

As said, this escalates to a "them or us" war - a war that Ireland cannot afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We will when a load of illegal items suddenly start to appear in Ireland.

You honestly don't think the EU will be keeping an eye out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're not going to waste their time rocking the boat over a political minnow like Johnson when they're so much they have to deal with in the Pacific. China poses a serious and pressing threat to the US alliance while Johnson can do little more than make outlandish statements.

The exception is the Belfast agreement. That took a serious bipartisan effort and the Democrats in particular are going to be livid at any serious attempt by Johnson to undermine it by which I mean anything beyond his petty theatrics.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Firstly, the UK being broken is the last thing that anyone wants but it looks like it is inevitable. Luckily it is not a them v us scenario (I assume you mean them v EU scenario) so we are insulated by that.

From what I understand the UK is, perhaps not broken but well on the way. Sterling is the worst it has been since 1985. Agriculture is crumbling e.g The culling of pigs and the fact that farmers profits were made up of EU subsidies. It’s manufacturing industry is in pieces due to the fact that ‘just in time deliveries’ of materials are gone, fishing industry is as good as banjaxed, a large chunk of the financial sector is gone and there is an expected drain of finance professionals etc etc etc.

This is before any possible sanctions if breaches of international law occur. Blaming the EU is largely irrelevant now. Effects are there. Throw into the mix of evidence of Russian interference with politicians and it’s not really an attractive proposition to negotiate trade agreements at the expense of EU relations.

And for what. Taking back control and stopping immigration which is a lie. The worst vista on top of all that is reneging on international treaties.

• Advertisement

Biden was one of the original Dem senators to push the US government to intervene in NI in the 80s and long before Clinton ever got involved.

I usually hate the "Irish" president thing but Biden actually seems invested in it and not just posturing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Johnson and Trump aren't the same thing. Some crude comparisons about their appearances aside, they have virtually nothing in common. Johnsonism is not Trumpism.

How does destroying the Tories help the US strategically? Seriously. How does that level of interference in the domestic politics of one of their longest standing, prominent allies help with American geopolitical strategy?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Can't stand the whole "I'm Irish-American" thing myself but if it adds security to the Belfast Agreement, that's fine by me.

H. H. Asquith

Correct UK v EU (but frankly also Ireland - either the border is kept in the Irish sea - or Ireland has to deal with whatever toxic rubbish the UK decides to leave in to their country.

"Breaking" the UK - is that the UK's position (as per the analysis of Sydney Nash) is that the Brexiters/Tories fundamentally will not accept the NIP in any form whatsoever based on their "sovereignty" purity fanaticism.

That is fundamentally incompatible with the Irish sea border. This isn't a "hey let's meet in the middle" or a "win-win, we can all get what we want" thing. If this were the 19th century, one state would need to be forced to comply with gunboats.

In the current context with the (economic) tools open to the EU, the only way to resolve this is to put so much economic pain on the UK that the UK rejects Brexitism (because Brexiters themselves will not drop their fanaticism). That is a whole pile of pressure needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

they are happy to sit Biden out, at worst 3 years and at best, change in control of house and senate next november

and you can be sure they will be shipping as much illicit produce, particularly ag related as they can - it must annoy them that China has just banned beef imports again, their #1 goal is to destroy the irish economy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If that's their plan they'll be in for a rude awakening when the next House does not remotely shift their view on the NIP.

Sure, but its the way they think - Brexit vote was nearly 5 and a half years ago, this has been going on for almost as long as WW2 at this stage, so what is the problem with kicking the can of hope down the road for another 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think the US has struck their main blow on the Brexiters in UK govt. already (seems like there will be no deep trade (or other) agreements with the US for the UK govt. to gloat over over during the Biden administration). Also the UK is very useful to the US as an ally that provides unconditional diplomatic and military support in everything they do. They will wish to retain that.

If the EU-UK relationship ends up in a trade war over NI protocol, the US will I think criticise and blame the UK for this sorry state of affairs + urge UK to work things out with the EU, but I don't see them doing anything else "against" the UK in direct support of the EU (or Ireland).

I think trying to enforce the agreement(s) and/or make the UK pay a price for reneging will be down to the EU. I suppose the US may extend us help of some type if we were suffering very badly from effects of UK retaliation(s) in any trade war. However I think it should be down to us to weather this period (we are not an extremely poor & isolated country any more ala Economic war period, and we have the rest of the member states and the EU to help support us if needed).

Surely at worst is 7 years.

But as soon as that stuff appears it will be clear the UK are not doing their job and the hard border goes up or NI pushed for EU customs in NI ports although that would be very unlikely for the DUP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

UK appears to be going rogue, according to Tony C...

Frost must be continuing with the "we were bullied into this position" line...

I really can't see the UK strategy working out for them. Even if they get what they want (no deal), what country would now agree to a deal with them?

But you've not shown how toppling the Conservative party assists the Americans' geopolitical strategy. Can you please answer this?

H. H. Asquith

The issues I have with the UK's position is:

1. Agreeing anything with someone who is blackmailing you (threatening to renege on the existing) just means you are open to being blackmailed again. Why do something uncomfortable for a counterpart who will just come back for more & more?

2. Nothing that can be agreed could come close to what the UK wants - which means Brexiters will continue to nurse grievances with which to come back.

So as said, I don't see any way other than cut all economic ties and wait however long it takes for them to kick out the Tories- even if that is 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And the good Friday agreement was brokered in part by the USA and they seem very protective of it and it was a stupid move by the UK to even give the impression it was in danger.

I know this will just play into the victim complex the UK seem to have because the great idea of brexit has turned into a mess, but the EU should hold firm and say that because the UK signed up to the protocol in full knowledge of what it meant, they should jog on. And I do realise that won’t help but at some point we need to move on from brexit in some form.

Some excellent points about the UK being an important trade and military ally for the US evidenced by the fact that the UK trade with the US is the highest single country in the EU, albeit that the EU as a whole exceeds trade by 15% collectively. It is also the biggest country for FDI from the US.

However, all of the above is highly predicated on the fact that the UK was in the EU. Take the military as an example. If the UK decide to breach international agreement it would be very difficult for them to remain in NATO. Not impossible. If they were out then militarily they would be less significant than the EU.

Trade will also take a huge hit as the requirement for machinery, electrical machinery and everything else imported and exported would have a hefty tariff. Also with industry declining then so will trade. Financial services and fintech will also suffer being out of the EU and also drain on talent.

So what was a vital ally, including persuading EU policy is now not there. And Sterling being down will make it way more expensive.

Was reading this paper on the effects and it explains it way better than I can.

https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/157903/1/GLO_DP_0068.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the Tories go, then they get Labour or a Labour led coalition which will be just as pliant as a Tory one.

It was not the Tories who helped them invade Iraq and topple Saddam Hussein in the search for Weapons of Mass Destruction. Mind you the USA dropped a lot of weapons of mass destruction on Iraq in the pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Padraig178

Is this the same Joe Biden who spent most of the time during his last meeting with the Mini Trump putting the finishing touches to the AUKUS deal which blindsided France ?

US strategic interests in the Pacific are far more important to this administration than the Irish border.

The only time Ireland becomes of interest to US politicians is around election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

The EU needs to stop being Mr Nice Guy as regards brexit and go on the offensive.

If I was in irish Gov \ European Govs I would go after UK Permanent Status on UN Security Council on basis that a country that does not respect agreements it has made is not an appropriate member.

If EU said that we will no longer be a member of an organisation where UK is in a Permanent Leadership position it would have to sit up and take notice. Without EU members UN would be more of an empty shell than it currently is.

UK should also be kicked out of NATO as it can no longer be trusted to respect this Treaty either.

The only way that UK can back down after todays speech and accept a compromise which will not include any change in ECJ role is for BJ to fire Frost.

EUs increased trading partnership with China is a major concern for the US and everything points towards ensuring their relationship with the EU (including Ireland) isn’t damaged. The UK is simply not as important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Plenty of countries will be delighted to have trade deals with the UK. Just as plenty of countries continue to trade with China, Saudi etc. Money talks. What it will do is place the UK is a difficult position as any other country will want their advantages up front to ensure they don't lose out from any UK change of heart.

Advertisement