Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

ATP investigation into Zverev opened.

Whitaker on the Tennis Podcast can barely contain her glee as she awaits (in her mind anyway) the certain guilty finding.

What a rotund dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Shelby Rodgers wins to get into the third round.

considering she stumbled her way through the prime video coverage of the US open she’s hardly in a position to call people out. Daniela hantuchova was the star of that coverage imo as she came across as a very nice and warm person.

It will be interesting to see how Emma Raducanu deals with being US open champ and the expedition that comes with that.

sasnovich is 1-2 in the first set after a Raducanu hold to love in the first game.

• Advertisement

sasnovich won the first set 6-2 so Emma will need to win from behind which she didn’t do at the US open.

So Emma Raducanu is 3-2 up in second set but down by one set.

Looking poor for Emma Raducanu in Indian wells. She’s done a set and 5-4 down in the second set. Not looking great at 3:32 am Irish time.

And that’s it Emma Raducanu goes out in straight sets.

Well that is really par for the course for the tour

Consistency is consistenty elusive

Straight sets exit to the world number 💯

plus ça change

Remember there were an incredible 18 different semi finalists (of possible 20) in the 4 slams and the Olympics this year

• Advertisement

Well she (Hantuchová) has some class about about her.

Whitaker is a seething agenda wagon.

It will be interesting to see if Raducanu will prove to have a game that brings success in the long run.

She doesn't really seem to chase down balls much at all like the real athletes of yore - lets a lot of balls just go by if her groundstrokes don't win the rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Not surprising Raducanu lost, since winning the USO, her life has been completely turned upside down, in huge demand by the media and seems to not have turned down any invitation to non tennis events in that time, hard to see where she even fit time in for tennis practice.

Very hard to know how Raducanu will do in the future, her high ranking is really based on 1 tournament, so, slightly misleading, she's now also expected to beat players that 2 months ago she'd have been a big underdog against. It'll be interesting to see how her career turns out.

Well Murray got his wedding ring and smelly minging runners back and won his Indian Well's first-round match against Mannarino but now faces the conqueror of his conqueror at New York -> Alcaraz

Zverev up against Brooksby in the same part of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Was thinking if Raducanu was to drop back down the rankings during the next year and was outside the top 100 by the time of USO next year (would it even be possible to fall that far that quickly), would she have to go through qualifying? I suppose as the defending champion she'd get a wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Ranking points last for 52 weeks (or more in some cases). Winning the USO this year means that at the very worst, she will be seeded in the low 20s at next year's USO. Her ranking can't really go down much before before next year's Wimbledon, where she has 4th round points to defend.

Murray beats Alcaraz - didn't get to watch it but Alcaraz making mistakes, especially on not putting away volleys seems to have been costly.

Don't think that Murray can string a full tournament together

I watched parts of it, jumping between it and some women's matches. It was a long match for a 5-7 6-3 6-2 scoreline, over 3 hours. But that's the way of it here: There was a women's match a few days ago over 3 hours and 50 minutes!!!

Haleps is currently struggling against Sasnovich. I can't see myself staying up for the end of that, let alone Kvitova vs. Azarenka, and certainly not Ferndandez vs. Pavs.

Ostapenko vs. Swiatek in the next round could be interesting. Ostapenko continues to be as erratic as ever, but at least she's stringing some results together.

EDIT: Halep has just broken back for 5-5 in the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I enjoyed Murray's underarm serve last night. No pissing and moaning about it from Alcaraz either.

In the battle of the surprise French Open winners, Ostapenko beat Swiatek 6-4 6-3. Swiatek was a break up in both sets, took a long toilet break after the first, and a questionable MTO in the second. She just couldn't live with Ostapenko's hitting.

Laylah Fernandez has just taken the first set 6-2 against Shelby Rogers, despite struggling at times on her serve. No post-US Open hangover for her it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Every day that Ostapenko wins is a good day 😎

Nice to see Fernandez playing well post US Open. At least with Raducanu winning in New York it took a lot of the attention/expectation away from Fernandez, she can play relatively pressure free.

Rogers d. Fernandez 2-6 6-1 7-6(4). She gets to play Ostapenko in the QF. It was a very tough final set, hardly any easy service games (actually, that was the case for the whole match).

Murray vs. Zverev next up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,669 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Where is this being broadcast? Any "normal" channels?

Amazon Prime Video

sign up for a free trial of Amazon Prime if you don't have it then go to primevideo.com and set country to Ireland

Murray and Zverev don't get on, especially because Murray has said things like "It has taken too long" about the ATP investigation on the Zverev allegations - could be spicy

Not especially a comment on that comment from Murray but Murray does have the rep of being a sort of male feminist on tour in general.

It's the wife and / or the mother I'd say!

https://www.google.com/search?q=andy+murray+feminist&oq=andy+murray+feminist+&aqs=chrome..69i57j35i39j69i60.6498j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Oh, I'd say his mother has had some input into that world-view ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭josip

Murray will drop to #172 following his Indian Wells exit.

Ostapenko def. Rogers 6-4 4-6 6-3, despite being 1-3 *0-40 down in the final set. 51 winners to 46 unforced errors. Many breaks of serve to both. In other words, a typical Ostapenko match. Her semi-final against Azarenka should be tasty.

Dimitrov (remember him?) beat Medvedev by the same scoreline. Didn't see that one coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I saw Medvedev was up a double break in the second and then lost 8 straight games, I'd assumed there was some kind of injury but I watched the highlights there and it appears it was just a complete meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭josip

Medvedev will drop to 2,000 ranking points behind Djokovic very soon I think.

• Advertisement

Current year points easiest way to keep track of who is in the world number 1 end-of-year race instead of looking at dropping points etc

Medved was already 2000 points behind in current year rankings

Advertisement