Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some of your unpopular cycling related opinions?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

1. Cycle infrastructure (outside of off road stuff), whether deemed good or bad, is bad. I don't like it and overall it gives both authorities, the general population and the gardai an excuse to victim blame cyclists in almost every scenario. I'd sooner a camera on every junction with ANPR for RLJing, speeding and bus lane use than ever have another bit of "safe" infrastructure.
    2. Tailgating large vehicles, while immensely dangerous, is good fun and I have no issue with anyone doing it, so long as they accept the consequences (and blame) are theirs alone if anything goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Grand tours are a **** format, there should be more individual tests and less opportunity to hide in the best team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Every cycling group has at least one monumental a55hole.

(If you disagree with this and you cycle in a group then guess what…..)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If these winter commutes are mostly in an urban setting, I have to say I've never been caught out without batteries. I have a redundancy of lights anyway, but I bring spare charged batteries (and obviously buy lights that can swap batteries).

I don't have a lot of experience commuting on interurban routes or rural roads, so I can't really comment about those.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

To paraphrase Raylan Givens, if you join a group with one asshole, you joined a group with an asshole. If you run into assholes in every group you join, you're the asshole...

Post edited by Macy0161 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Fair enough. Just got tired of been driven off a shared pathway for the third time. I’ll edit proper cyclists to cyclists who behave properly. Take your point there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

How do you reach a conclusion - when you see a group of cyclists coming towards you - that 'these guys are activists'? Are they wearing badges?

What sets them apart?

If anything, I'd say very few cyclists are activists. There are very few cycle protests for example, and when there are not all that many people show up.

Yes for sure there are cyclists who break the rules of the road, cycle where they shouldnt etc. And I know whataboutery etc etc but what makes this group worse than pedestrians who jaywalk or the ubiquitous pavement parking that we see up and down the length and breadth of the country, and is far more common than for example cyclists on footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Well, the reason I don’t mention jaywalkers and parking is this thread is about cycling/cyclists. Just to clarify, the group I’m talking about are perfectly entitled to cycle on the paths I mention. They just take over that path. It’s a shared path between walkers/runners and cyclists. I cycle there myself. No cars. Their behaviour does not reflect well on cyclists. As to how I know, well you’ll just have to take my word for it.

It doesnt reflect well on them - it has nothing to do with what other cyclists do. To put it differently - some people are assholes; and by extension that means some cyclists are assholes. I wouldnt even say that's a cycling related opinion. Its a human nature opinion. It doesnt reflect on cyclists or cycling at all really.

Same in all walks of life.

Post edited by Tombo2001 on

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Cyclests who jump red lights....only for me to over take them shortly after....and jump the next set and so on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hardly an unpopular opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Happening enough for me to believe I'm in the minority!

EBikes are more like motorbikes than pedal bikes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Posts and responses deleted. Please read the charter, espeically:

There are lots of places on the internet where you can have a rant about cyclists. This isn't one of them. This is a place for people with an interest in cycling to discuss cycling. If you treat it as a venue for holding all cyclists to account for perceived or actual misbehaviour by some, you can expect to find your access swiftly removed. In short, we are not your punching bag. If you really do want do want an answer to your gripe, do a search. The usual topics, such as cycle lanes, cycling two abreast etc. have been discussed, ad nauseam, many, many times before.

If you're not interested in cycling, don't post in this forum.

Any questions on moderation, PM the mods. Do not respond on thread.

Thanks

Depends on who is on them. Elderly cyclists use them for exercise; I do feel that teenagers use them as quasi mopeds.

Yeah, some of the ones out there aren't pedelecs. You see people going along without pedalling at all. That means it's not a pedelec, and is in the light motorcycle category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Gravel Riding is for people who are afraid of Cyclocross.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pedelecs make life easier for cyclists, but your average experience on a (legitimate) pedelec is far more akin to that of a cyclist than a motorcyclist.

• Advertisement

I would have thought so. The average speeds are noticeably higher than a bike, but you don't see people really tearing around on pedelecs.

my wife got one recently. for me, cycling it is slower than cycling my 'normal' bike. it's not an easy bike to cycle faster than 25km/h.

Oh yeah, but the average speed of one around town seems to be around 20km/h or so, while the average speed of people on normal bikes (not fit people on road bikes) is down around 12km/h or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

Is that not just a difference between riding and racing? Like people riding on the road vs people racing?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My wife bought me this jersey a year or two ago and I believe the consensus amongst the cycling world is that you can't wear it.

Every other sport tolerates fans wearing jerseys but there's a certain snobbery in cycling that frowns at it.

Doesn't stop me occasionally wearing it though!

i think it's partly because there's a tribalism with other sports that you don't get with cycling. there's rarely a home town team (bar your local cycling club) you could really identify with; for example, you're not going to get two cyclists showing a DQS vs EF rivalry in the same way you'd get an everton vs liverpool rivalry, where you have obvious reasons to identify with one team.

plus, just thinking about it - what other sports have strip which changes depending on whether you're the leader/winner?

would wearing the rainbow stripes be akin to turning up at an athletics meet with a gold medal already hanging around your neck?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Gravel riding is for me because I was afraid of mountain biking!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭cletus

Rugby and football jerseys often have stars above the crest to signify championship wins, and the supporters jersey would also have them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

For me, wearing a leaders jersey is a bit like showing up to a game of 5 a side football in full matching kit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

would wearing the rainbow stripes be akin to turning up at an athletics meet with a gold medal already hanging around your neck?

For me, wearing a leaders jersey is a bit like showing up to a game of 5 a side football in full matching kit.

But these comments are what I was saying. Really, why should it matter? I see kids all the time wearing Ronaldo tops and the like and nobody bats an eyelid.

Advertisement