Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Runner Magazine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

shels4ever wrote: »
    Yep because there are no national marathons, european XC, inter counties, or mountain running in the winter not to mention the indoors :), so maybe more chi running or some good barefoot running :)

Maybe they intend to continue giving updates on Kathryn Thomas's sub 3hr attempt all the way until she get's it...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

What about a series of nostalgic look backs at times past fado fado...cinder tracks, heady days...
    Could go forthnightly then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

David Mathews interview is very good. A recent poster with the same user name has started to post here recently. Wonder if it's the same guy. Would be great to have the input of a guy like him on here. Savage athlete in his day. Mention he is targeting a masters return. Wonder what he's planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

David Mathews interview is very good. A recent poster with the same user name has started to post here recently. Wonder if it's the same guy. Would be great to have the input of a guy like him on here. Savage athlete in his day. Mention he is targeting a masters return. Wonder what he's planning.

Same guy alright still holds the NR for the 800 and 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

any1 notice that the IR is getting thinner by the issue ???

Also, I feel they give very little coverage to juvenile events in particular this years National Juvenile T&F.

• Advertisement

Any update on Katherine Thomas's sub 3 attempt? :p:D:p

Couldn't believe when I read in Irish Runner that she was aiming for a 3hr marathon. I think she is in for a big land when she realises exactly how much training is needed to achieve that. Then again, the amount of people who think running a sub 3hr marathon equates, physically, to a long hike or a ramble in the hills is scary.

I've passed her a few times in the Phoenix Park/Inchicore area and can confirm that unless she makes staggering progress in the coming weeks, she will be very lucky to finish the thing.

As for the magazine, I subscribed, got the first issue and nothing else. I emailed them and got no response before I contacted someone who knows the owners. The second issue came a few days later, but about six weeks after it had been on the shelves and I had all but read it cover to cover in Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

I got the impression it was turning into a joggers magazine.

I think that's harsh- as what you'd probably call a jogger (you make it sound so pejorative) I don't think the magazine caters to the typical jogger/runner out there.
    Most joggers/runners aren't attached to clubs
    Aren't running sub 20/40 5k and 10k times
    Find it hard to get motivated to go training
    Find it difficult to fit it all in
    Wonder what they should be doing/could be doing to improve
    Want to find out what races they should be running/targetting

The new look magazine is an improvement in terms of look and feel but the content to my mind is probably more focused on the club athlete. I'm not certain that the publishers know who their target market is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    I think that's harsh- as what you'd probably call a jogger (you make it sound so pejorative) I don't think the magazine caters to the typical jogger/runner out there.
    Most joggers/runners aren't attached to clubs
    Aren't running sub 20/40 5k and 10k times
    Find it hard to get motivated to go training
    Find it difficult to fit it all in
    Wonder what they should be doing/could be doing to improve
    Want to find out what races they should be running/targetting

The new look magazine is an improvement in terms of look and feel but the content to my mind is probably more focused on the club athlete. I'm not certain that the publishers know who their target market is.

Had to look that one up:) Use to be aimed at club athlete but last few years definitely not. You are probably right about the publishers and the target market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I bought my first issue today in quite a while as Emily and her friends got their picture taken page 59 front row Tallaght jumper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Woddle wrote: »
    I bought my first issue today in quite a while as Emily and her friends got their picture taken page 59 front row Tallaght jumper :D

Woddle, is this a new issue? covering the marathon among other things ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Woddle, is this a new issue? covering the marathon among other things ?

Yep
    Oct/Nov and yep covers the marathon.
    Picture of Maria McCambridge on the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Haven't seen new issue but the Gregan cover issue was good, best in a while regarding content and looked slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

Woddle wrote: »
    Picture of Maria McCambridge on the front

Ah, so that's why you bought it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Received the Oct / Nov edition in the post today. Unlike previous issues this one seems to have come from a direct marketing company - maybe this will sort out the issues that people (including myself) have experienced in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

What ye think of the annual. Lot of it seemed familiar...!

Sorry I couldn't find a newer thread on this magazine than this one.
    Anyone else buy the "yearbook", I picked it up having not followed it for a while now due to poor content.
    It seems like they are really phoning it in at this stage.
    People rehashing the same old articles about motivation/getting started/demons etc. while shamelessly publicizing their own businesses.
    People reviewing running gear who clearly haven't even been running never mind stress testing them....
    Cut and paste profile pics and a couple of sentences about people here and there.
    A filler review of their own previous editions throughout the year.......

It has completed the morph into a yellow pack runnersworld magazine at this stage, for the masses, all inclusive, yet serving no purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I think it's grand.
    There's no money to be made in producing an actual print run magazine for anyone except the masses, and the loyal.
    It needs to cover it's costs. (I presume)

There's an elite track runner on the cover and plenty of articles in the middle.
    It's the Irish Runner.
    You'd have to assume that all the elite content is on podcast or the like nowadays, Costs very little to produce that.

In related news, RTE and their highly skilled and highly expensive staff are struggling to compete against very cheaply produced, very cheap looking internet content that the masses are lapping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

RTÉ and other ‘old media’ outlets are struggling alright, but I wouldn’t be delighted to be relying on the ‘free’ online platforms for reliable news and information. That said, print magazines in tiny markets like Ireland definitely have no future anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Gave up buying it. Had a yearly subscription and was poor value. They just don't have quality articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Sussex18

I quite like it. It's not perfect and there is of course repetition but I do still look forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

It seems to try to cater for the mass market ( runners world) and the Athletics one (athletic weekly) but does neither well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I know I'm obviously a bit biased because I've been writing articles for Irish Runner this year, but I actually think there's more to read in it over the last while than there used to be. In 2019, there have been quite a lot of articles that I've genuinely enjoyed reading, rather than just reading them because it's the only coverage of running / runners in the Irish media. For example, I really, really enjoy Cathal Dennehy's articles - he covers elite athletics and interviews national level runners etc, but he really brings their personalities into it and gives an insight into how it feels to run and race at that level. There's a column called 'Diary of a Club Runner' that I really like too, where a runner from a Dublin club writes about training, racing, sessions etc and there's loads I identify with there. I liked the article about Sanctuary Runners too.

Re there being repetitive articles about training / getting started etc, I think that's a hazard for any magazine that's about running and includes coverage of recreational / hobby running -- other magazines I like like Women's Running are the same - every few issues they have a 'getting started / tips for beginners / doing your first 5k' article - but that's because new runners buy magazines so you have to have something for them.

If you're looking for something that's more focused on competitive running, then you could read www.fastrunning.com. I love that - I'm even a Patreon of it because I want them to be able to keep creating content. But I don't think a print magazine containing just the Irish material from Fast Running would be able to stay afloat, it would just be too niche!

I think the Irish Runner team have to try to appeal to athletics fans AND runners who like to run, but have no interest in the Nationals etc.

(& the gear reviewer DOES run! I've seen him in a race with my own eyes!)

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I know I'm obviously a bit biased because I've been writing articles for Irish Runner this year, but I actually think there's more to read in it over the last while than there used to be. In 2019, there have been quite a lot of articles that I've genuinely enjoyed reading, rather than just reading them because it's the only coverage of running / runners in the Irish media. For example, I really, really enjoy Cathal Dennehy's articles - he covers elite athletics and interviews national level runners etc, but he really brings their personalities into it and gives an insight into how it feels to run and race at that level. There's a column called 'Diary of a Club Runner' that I really like too, where a runner from a Dublin club writes about training, racing, sessions etc and there's loads I identify with there. I liked the article about Sanctuary Runners too.

Re there being repetitive articles about training / getting started etc, I think that's a hazard for any magazine that's about running and includes coverage of recreational / hobby running -- other magazines I like like Women's Running are the same - every few issues they have a 'getting started / tips for beginners / doing your first 5k' article - but that's because new runners buy magazines so you have to have something for them.

If you're looking for something that's more focused on competitive running, then you could read www.fastrunning.com. I love that - I'm even a Patreon of it because I want them to be able to keep creating content. But I don't think a print magazine containing just the Irish material from Fast Running would be able to stay afloat, it would just be too niche!

I think the Irish Runner team have to try to appeal to athletics fans AND runners who like to run, but have no interest in the Nationals etc.

(& the gear reviewer DOES run! I've seen him in a race with my own eyes!)

I do appreciate the detailed reply, I have read a number of the books you mentioned, and hope to cover some more. Good detail in your article.

I think if the editors went for a 70/30 split even in favour of elite features and scientific articles (rather than cut & paste) on form/diet/recovery/nutrition then it would be an improvement.
    It reads mostly like one of those horrific mens/women's health lifestyle magazines in places at the moment.
    They could still provide a section to appeal to new people to the sport.

Aside, your resident gear reviewer strikes me as a procrastinator who enjoys the attention rather than someone who's word you'd go on when choosing gear.
    Suppose it was a decision by the editors to appeal to that demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Sussex18

I do quite like it. There's a degree of repetition, especially around stretches, in all the main running magazines. But it's amazing how even as a long tíme runner, there's always the potential to learn something new even now. I'd say about 80% of runners out there are not 'very serious' and and well I'd like to see it more than once every 2 months. But again could Ireland support a monthly magazine? Does enough happen here? Probably not��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I do appreciate the detailed reply, I have read a number of the books you mentioned, and hope to cover some more. Good detail in your article.

I think if the editors went for a 70/30 split even in favour of elite features and scientific articles (rather than cut & paste) on form/diet/recovery/nutrition then it would be an improvement.
    It reads mostly like one of those horrific mens/women's health lifestyle magazines in places at the moment.
    They could still provide a section to appeal to new people to the sport.

Aside, your resident gear reviewer strikes me as a procrastinator who enjoys the attention rather than someone who's word you'd go on when choosing gear.
    Suppose it was a decision by the editors to appeal to that demographic.

Glad you enjoyed the books article - I really enjoyed writing it. It's actually a real benefit of something being slightly niche (a running mag) that I got to write about all my faves, rather than just new ones. A few of my friends are journalists for national newspapers and at Christmas their reviews and features would really have to feature new books - they couldn't just choose random favourites.

I just try to think of things I might like to read about (as I presume I'm quite like other runners) and I suggest them as articles. I think my favourite ones to research and write last year were the ones about journalling, women and mountain/hill/ultra running and the women's mini marathon.

Anyway, back to your suggestions, I think more features on elite runners, and maybe exciting race reports on elite and sub elite (like the ones Blaithin Shiel wrote recently for Fast Running, about the euro XC) would be great. If you had time, you could email in suggestions? The new editor is really open to reader input (I'm just a freelancer, like most of the staff, so I didn't really have any idea of the reasons for including things etc).

Also, I find (like everything in life!) that there's always someone who likes the opposite to me - for example, in Irish Runner (& all running mags!) I'd leave out all the fixtures lists and all the 'training for 10k / marathon' plans. I just look that stuff up online. But I know loads of other people who love that stuff and who would cut all the 'interesting sidelight on running' stuff I like! So it's so hard to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I'd imagine it's quite difficult to get the balance between the various competing demands, e.g. for nutrition, training plans etc it's so easy for anyone to Google and obtain free content in the English language.

On the other hand if each edition is overloaded with local content (e.g. race fixtures etc) then can be out of date as soon as it hits the printers.

On a similar note, local media feeds - even Athletics Ireland's own Twitter feed ...
    https://twitter.com/irishathletics?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor ... carry links to interviews with athletes and other items of Irish interest.

That's not to say that a good analysis of the outcome of the cross country wouldn't be better than some breathless post-race interviews with athletes. However, for the casual runner they're not going to be interested in a deep-dive into the challenges and issues that Irish athletics is facing.

By way of comparison, when it comes to news, RTÉ and other Irish media channels copped on to the 'weather warning' alert as a cheap way of obtaining local interest: not quite click-bait on the lines of "Ireland to be the new Atlantis ... falling into sea ..." but not far off in terms of generating traffic. The Irish Runner doesn't have any comparable means of covering national content as news. Hmm, some cheap headlines re Sports Grants? Not even of interest to elite Irish athletes.

I'll probably get around to buying Frank Greally's biography for Christmas but alas I fear for the long-term viability of an Irish running magazine.

Has IrishRunner finally jumped the shark?
    Publishing a filler edition for the sake of it with nothing of note.
    They seem to have tried to copy runnersworld again with the mental health aka "Bressie" angle.

- RTE operation covid nation presenter - makeyuppy wellness article - CHECK
    - Joe Soap motivation article - CHECK
    - Joe Soap I brought some gym equipment for the house article - CHECK
    - Gear reviewer who doesn't run passes the buck completely - CHECK
    - Rehashed circuit training article with new pictures - CHECK
    - News page items copied and pasted from a tabloid/runnersworld article - CHECK

https://twitter.com/IrishRunnerMag/status/1247492677135933440

https://twitter.com/IrishRunnerMag/status/1247523395983405056

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

I'd say the "Fixtures - Full update" feature will be fairly short!

Is this still in circulation?

Or have the done the decent thing and stopped sending that tubby lad who doesn't run shoes to review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No it’s still on the go, just isn’t available to Dickheads.

Advertisement