Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It most certainly is relevant. Any discussion of Leo Varadkar quickly descends into posters mentioning "his boyfriend" and his liking of Kylie.

It is becoming blatant what is at play. No mention of policy, just barbs of a certain type.

If you think criticising a politican is encapsulated by describing his partner as his boyfriend and critiquing his liking of the music of Kylie Minogue, then you have a very different idea of criticism than one that is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A different thread entirely.

Why did you bring it up in this thread?

If it was not you who originally posted the 'Kylie letter' in this thread the past few days, then I apologise but I looked back and cannot see any other post about it until those posts you made.

Again, I want to respect the mod's wishes here, and stick to the topic at hand which is Leo Varadkar, but I fail to see anything newsworthy about a letter to Kylie that was written 3 years ago, even though it was written by Leo Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Photos? Here's a tip blanch.... Learn how to use the screenshot function on your fuppin device,.and how to attach it to a thread, and stop embarrassing yourself. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

We had some of the harshest restrictions in Europe but they don’t apply to our ruling class, now we can’t criticise them either.

FG are really on a roll.

I mean people keeping photos of Leo's letters on their hard drives and other memes and suchlike to resurrect whenever they feel that they can get a barb in.

I repeat, stop embarrassing yourself.

Are you seriously so digitally naive that you believe "people need to keep photos on hard drives" rather than just using the freely available ones in the linked to articles? 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

....out of curiosity, I decided to check how difficult this letter was to find. Considering you suspect people are keeping the image saved on their hard drives, I presumed it was quite elusive.

Google search....three words, Leo, letter, Kylie....first result. Maybe not so elusive.

I don't accept that boyfriend is suddenly an offensive term, nor do I accept your argument that the criticism is for WHO he likes (for the majority of posters, I'm aware there are some; I specifically pointed it out and argued against it earlier in the thread). The majority of the criticism towards the letter is relating to the what it is, not who it is to. I think the idea of one of our seniormost politicians trying to use his position to sort out a wee backstage trip for him and his mates looks like a misuse of his power; I wouldn't give a toss if it was a band I liked or hated, the issue isn't with the fact that it was Kylie, despite your attempts to downplay what he did by creating that false narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

What 'usual crew'? You are falsely trying to sell the narrative that people are homophobic or unbeknown to themselves homophobic because they are critical or make fun of Varadkar's monkeyshines. It's more often you who raise the man's sexuality. I think you can't see past the fact he is a gay man. A lot of us can.

With Leo, it's because of what he says and does. If he's not in the news, he doesn't come up very much.

Yes, it's Leo attending a music festival in the UK while criticising the UK's lack of restrictions and supporting no festivals in Ireland. So yes, it's mentioned and he's criticised for it and rightly so. If some people take the piss out of him because of his taste in music, that's allowed. He doesn't get treated any differently than anyone else. You've never been slagged for your taste in music or a questionable haircut?

The point of this thread is his criminal investigation and his almost weekly gaffes and arrogance making the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Leo Varadkar believes the photo of him taken at a UK music festival wasn't "very flattering", but stopped short of saying it was an invasion of his privacy.

A picture circulated on social media last week of the Fine Gael leader attending a UK music festival, which sparked mass criticism back home.

But the Tanaiste's partner Matthew Barrett came to his defence over the weekend, saying in a letter to the Irish Times: "This episode demonstrates that not only are privacy and dignity not expected, but that people will celebrate their violation".

He also described the image was "unedifying" and suggested that it had caused "humiliation".

From Dublin Live

A lot of you seem to have a problem getting over the fact that gay people are the same as everyone else and should be treated as such.

In Ireland, partner, boyfriend, girlfriend are interchangeable and referencing to grown adults as the boys or the girls is commonplace.

And then you go on to use 'dog whistle'. The only ones engaging in such behaviour are the ones who can't see past Varadkar's sexuality, which says more about them IMO.

Leo Varadkar shares loved up picture with boyfriend Matthew Barrett as they enjoy weekend together

I think that's very unfair. More than Sinn Fein care that working tax payers who found themselves out of work due to Covid are subsidised until they get back on their feet. Maybe not Fine Gael, but certainly more than Sinn Fein.

I can see why FG types might have a problem with it though. Varadkar must have been bullied into it by the opposition.

Using minorities to try 'win' a political discussion is a very low bar. Crying wolf to try close down discussions you don't like using race and sexuality is racist and homophobic IMO.

Where in my post did I mention "winning" a political discussion.

I was critical, and remain critical of some of the language and references used in this discussion about Leo. Happy to have a discussion anytime about policies, but I will still call out instances of where people raise extraneous issues for dubious motives. The pathetic attempts to justify raising his taste in music have stopped, and about time.

You're purposely trying to shift the narrative now yet again, it wasn't Leo's "taste in music" that attracted criticism, you know this.

It doesn't matter if it was Kylie Minogue, or feckin Iggy Pop he was writing to, if he is writing to his musical heroes to swing a meet and greet, under the guise of the Taoiseach of Ireland, then he should be prepared to accept that some members of the electorate might see that as an abuse of power.

You lads firstly tried to insinuate it was his own personal business* - it isn't, and then went on to try to distance him from it by claiming it was a generic letter, "one of thousands per week, sent by the office of the Taoiseach*" - it wasn't.

It's neither homophobic, racist nor any other, pure, unadulterated BS some of you want to try and insinuate because some have the cheek and audacity to suggest the emperor has no clothes on.

It's blatant, but it's also pathetic too.

*No point in trying to claim you didn't either, it's all in black and white here on this very thread.

Not trying to shift ant narrative. It was raised inappropriately, it remains in appropriate but I guess the squinting windows haven't gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Leo's legacy will be something to talk about in years to come.

Didn't even secure half the votes as Coveney for the Taoiseach nomination.

His own "spin unit" aka a propaganda dept, which the opposition forced him to disband.

Second worst electoral performance in FGs history.

Forced the creation of FFG.

Had to apologise to a Waterford hospital for lying.

Complete and utter inaction over Maria Bailey, with the local FG branch having to do his job for him.

Leaked confidential information to his friend, for which he's now the subject of a criminal investigation by the NBCI.

Merrion-Gate, and embroiling the AG in the controversy.

Attended the gig in the UK while the entertainment industry here was shut down and on its knees, days after he criticized the UK entertainment industry, as not something we should endeavour to follow.

We know you don't realise it yet, but the party will be well shot of him when that time arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

OK head, but you got my drift 😁 I can't claim to be an expert on all things Kylie 😏 unlike some 👀👀👀

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't care Leo has a "partner" "boyfriend" or is a Kylie fan, it's his work as Taoiseach and now Tanaiste that bothers me and he wrote to Kylie as Taoiseach for a meet up, posted pictures with her and his mates

IMO, you are abusing the gay community and minorities by insinuating homophobia and claiming you are championing those minorities. I don't know why this behaviour is allowed. Please flag for the mods consideration if you are genuinely concerned. Trying to tell us you feel some people might be homophobic if you think about it, looking at it from an angle is not evidence, but evidence you are using the gay community to deflect.

People comment on straight people's taste in music too. It was raised in reference to him abusing his office to try meet Kylie. He wrote the letter and used his office. The public are well within rights to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Your post is entirely accurate.

He's a smug, smarmy, slimey, dishonest and thoroughly unlikeable character.

A real 'do as I say, not as I do' merchant.

Can't stand him.

What has he ever actually done that he can be commended for?

On the one hand, as they are in, I would love to see some positivity, but unfortunately their agenda isn't about the Irish public. On the other hand I hope he stays because he is bringing down Fine Gael the longer they keep him. He's the poster boy for the coming YFG mob. We should be concerned with this rise in petty Republican GOP style politics of 'alternative truths'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

What has he ever actually done that he can be commended for?

Lost every election for FG.. 🤣

But on a more slightly serious note. There is a lot of stuff missing from that list. The hospital comes to mind. A lot more.

Post edited by Suckit on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

He is one of the very few people who I would describe as genuinely evil.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I hold a different one. That is allowed around here.

People might comment on other people's taste in music, but I don't to see it, does anyone know what musician Simon Coveney likes, or Simon Harris? No, because you can make a dog-whistle reference out of it. Certain posters have referenced Leo and Kylie on a number of occasions, just doesn't happen with other politicians.

The thing about dog-whistle stuff is its deniability. You will get the defence that it is legitimate to raise it because it was on headed paper, because he hid it, etc., but those are just excuses to enable the dog-whistling. Convenient headings to hide behind. We had it here with the long and tedious defence of Paddy Holohan as well. Varadkar has had to put with this for too long, and he is not the only one. O'Gorman has been subject to it too.

Did either of the two Simon's write letters on official state papers, and sign them off under their ministerial roles to their musical heroes, and then have their gurning faces pictured next to them?

Well, if they did I amn't aware of it, and so don't have a breeze of they're into ABBA or AC/DC, care less too.

People commented on Enda at The Boss's gig though, because it made the news. Not because Enda wrote to him on state headed paper requesting a meet up, but because Enda was pictured at the gig, dad dancing and letting his hair down.

Now, with that inconvenient fact pointed out, your argument is dead in the water.

Quit it with the obvious, spurious homophobic accusations blanch, you're doing the gay community absolutely no favours on your crusade.

Also, seen this today on Twitter. Thought of this thread instantly.

Well said "Stephen Carroll" 👏

Post edited by McMurphy on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@blanch152 will you move on from this, seriously you've been going on about dog whistle homophobia all day.

Let's get back on topic instead of making vague accusations about how the thread is being conducted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement