Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

By My reckoning Wiesberger needs 75 points to overtake Rory with the PGA x2 points & the tournament worth roughly double the points as the Italian open I think a top 50 will get him above Rory & into the team & leave Shane needing a pick... Alternatively If Matt Fitz passed out Bernd that would save Shane needing a pick. But he is ~94 point behind Bernd so would need to collect 47 points more which looks like roughly the difference between top 50 & top 20ish...

That said a bit of credit to Bernd - he is making a valid push to get himself onto the team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

I has a look at the points tables and came to a similar conclusion. By my reckoning, Wiesberger needs to finish 49th or better to pass Rory in the European Points list, but a top 24 by Fitzpatrick would move him past Rory too, so it's a question of how high up both of them finish in that scenario. A top 4 for Casey would also move him past Rory.

Of course, it's not just Wiesberger who has a chance of breaking into the automatic qualifying spots, but the bar is set a lot higher for everyone else. Taking a worst case scenario for Shane where he misses the cut and doesn't get any help from Fitzpatrick or Casey, there are quite a number of people who could either pass Rory in the European Points list or pass Shane in the World points list.

The players concerned and the positions they would need to finish are set out below. 3-4 means no worse than a two way tie for 3rd.

European Points list

Victor Perez 3-4

Robert MacIntyre/Guido Migliozzi 2-3

Thomas Detry 2

Richard Bland, Danny Willett, Matthias Schwab, Sergio Garcia, Rasmus Hojgaard, Calum Hill, Ian Poulter 1

World Points list

Sergio Garcia 4-5

Victor Perez 3-4

Robert MacIntyre 3

Ian Poulter 2-3

Guido Migliozzi 2

Justin Rose, Alex Noren, Thomas Detry, Danny Willett, Calum Hill, Richard Bland, Rasmus Hojgaard, Henrik Stenson, Matthias Schwab 1

It's not just Shane's place among the automatic qualifiers that is under threat. Lee Westwood is also quite vulnerable if he misses the cut. If that were to happen, Shane would pass him in the World Points list if he finishes no worse than a two way tie for 8th. That, combined with a decent finish by Wiesberger, would leave Westwood relying on a wild card pick.

It's also possible that other players above Lee and Shane in the current rankings could fall out of the automatic qualifying places, but this would require a very unusual combination of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Perez and Wiesberger started very badly. Both at +3 so far and Fitzpatrick level thru 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,603 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wiesberger finished at -1.

Shane going along alright but like nearly every week this year he is making very amateurish mistakes which cost him big at the end of every tournament.

He made mess of the par 3 fifth for bogey to go back to -1. Needs to cut out those bad errors.

Outrage as Professional Golfer makes Bogey on a 200 yard Par 3.

They do make bogeys and worse you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,603 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Of course they make bogeys but what he's doing is making very basic errors. It's been happening all year. He has to get it sorted out, he should have it rectified by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭techdiver

Good par on 17 (after getting lucky to be in bounds after a horror second shot) followed by a birdie on 18 to finish -2. Left a lot out there I feel. Couldn't buy a putt for most of the round. He is prone to brain farts though, typified by his second to 17.

Hopefully he has a good weekend and other things go his way. I feel Wiesberger will pass him into the last spot so he might very well rely on a pick.

On another point I've heard the Sky guys comment on Shane needing a top 8. What are the numbers on this? He's way behind on the European points list and would need to pass Westwood out on the world list so a top 8 in isolation (without Wiesberger and Westwood missing the cut or finishing way down the field) surely isn't enough.

Westwood needs to finish outside Top 56 for that scenario to matter.

ps he'll get a pick if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I read something earlier that if Rose wins it outright he will get in automatically? How is that possible? How many points are up for grabs for the winner?

• Advertisement

It's the ridiculous lob sided points awarded for this tournament. I know they want guys on form but this can potentially reward flash in the pan form. Not to mentioned the last few weeks on the European tour had more on offer relatively speaking than the FedEx playoffs.

The European team should be picked based on 1 list. The world points list. It's the most meritocracy. Playing on the "easier" European tour gives you points towards both lists whereas playing on the pga tour only counts towards the world list (apart from WGC's and majors).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Do you know how many points is on offer for the winner of this? It must be a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Said it before, but European Tour needs to have incentives like this to make players play its events. If if didn’t it would be crippled.

Might be points-heavy for some specific events, but so what? European Tour needs to care for itself too and the way to do that is get the best players to play on it as much as possible.

But it doesn't work as an incentive. Only 1 or 2 players that are not regular (primarily pga tour) players in the mix.

The Ryder Cup is either a competition you want to win by putting your best team out or it's a stick to force people, who probably would have played the events anyway, to play. Can't be both.

The total points for the event is 8000 which is same as the Scottish open. The winner of the Scottish Open got 1,335 points. So I'm assuming a similar allocation. Ryder cup points count double though so 2,670 points for the winner towards ryder cup qualification.

But if the event didn’t have the points/money on offer the field would be even weaker.

Honestly, people can’t complain about what’s on offer from the event because in a situation of the stakes being lower the field would be worse

We're obviously not going to agree on this but you can still have Race to Dubai points and whatever prize money on offer whilst still going with my suggestion of the ryder cup qualification being decoupled from those metrics and instead being based on OWGR points.

Yeh we definitely won’t agree on it. It completely makes sense in my eyes for a focus on qualification to be based on the home tour

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If you based it on OWGR solely, nobody would play the European tour.

So the only reason people play on the European tour is due to a biennial qualification for the ryder cup? How do you explain the attendance at the non ryder cup years?

• Advertisement

Not the only reason, but it definitely is an encouragement for players who indeed want to play in the Ryder Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭dublin49

the problem for the European Tour is its now primarily a feeder tour for the PGA tour ,looking at the likely team they all play the PGA TOUR as their first preference and the biggest stars like Rahm ,Rory .Hatton and Fleetwood qualify on the European list while mainly playing in the states .Probably the way to get the best players in form would be to pick the top 8/9 Europeans on the Fedex list first for this year and then 3 picks,although Politically it might be hard to justify .I dont think Ryder cup qualification strengthens many European fields through the year.Playing tournaments in your home country seems to be a bigger draw.(and appearance money of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

Ask Padraig why he has done it. His decision on set up. He chooses how many wild cards he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A -6 round today has him well up the board anyway. Fairly confident he'll get a pick if falls out of automatic slots, he's had a very consistent summer

So looking very likely Shane will need a pick now.

With Rose playing well it might not be straight forward. Poulter misses the cut yet he's still talked about as being a shoe in?? He has done nothing all year to justify it to be honest and his form is even worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

Poulter record in wentworth isn’t great in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

If Bernd gets in automatically and Rose and Shane have top 10s, Paddy might have a bit of a headache for himself!

Who would he lose least sleep over shafting from Shane, Poults, JR, and Sergio?! 😆

Mcilroy could have made this a whole lot easier by playing. Finish ahead of Wiesberger and Shane stays automatically qualified and then you could pick Garcia, Poulter and Rose. No drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Has anyone got the full breakdown of OWGR points for this? The points for 1, 2 and 3 are 64 and then I think 38 and 26. So if Shane finishes 1 or 2, I think it guarantees he jumps over Lee W in the World List (after doubling the points). But it would be good to see the differences a bit further down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭dublin49

Re Poulter,would have felt he was playin reasonably the last few months,noticed him a good bit on leaderboard so probably playing ok which would get him in.Justin was 50 odd places behind Shane on the Fedex list so cant argue on form ,only experience.Think Haro can say he went with mosrtly experience on two of his picks and form on one.

Advertisement