Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Alternatives

Options
  • 05-09-2021 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭

I was going to post this in the Starting out- bicycle recommendations thread, but I don't think it fits there.

I was hoping to use the Cycle to Work Scheme to buy a Canyon Grail 6 Al in January.

Couple of issues. My employer runs the scheme between January and November. This means that the the repayments have to be made inside the 11 months. If I bought in October, the entire repayment would come out of my wages in November.

As a result, I want to buy in January, to spread the repayments as wide as possible.

I'm starting to think that I might have to look at alternatives to the Grail, as they're currently out of stock.

So, to the point of the thread. I'd love some recommendations for other gravel bikes to look at, in the same price range, and similar spec to the Grail 6 (I came across a bike with Claris groupset for €1100, seems mad)

Any and all thoughts or recommendations appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you're looking for alternatives to buying a new bike, then springtime in the new year can be a good time to pick up a lightly used, one-season, cx or gravel bike.

Alternatives to the grail - if you can push the boat out to 1950 for the Canyon inflite, personally I think they're awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks fat guy.

I suppose I should have clarified. I'll have to use the Cycle to work scheme. No buying a bike outright, unfortunately.

I'll take a look at the inflite, cheers

Cannondale Topstone 2 would be a similar 10 speed grx spec but bonkers money compared to the Canyon. I think about 400 more.

Why not wait it out for the Canyon and stick a few quid aside each month until they have stock?

That may be what I end up doing, but if it's possible to get the tax break, I'd like to avail of it, seems silly not to.

I looked at the Cannondale range, but as you said, similar spec is much higher price, and similar price much lower spec

Quick look at the inflite, it's gone up a hundred quid from your price, fat bloke, but all the bikes on the Canyon website have gone up in the last few months.

Interesting looking bike, but Jesus the colours are horrible

• Advertisement

Gosh really? I think that's absolutely savage looking.

Prices are gone up 100 alright though, that's only in the last month.

Of course but if you have the cash in hand you can tell them to take the full amount from your wages rather than spread it out if you wanted. I hate owing money being my logic here I guess.

I was actually thinking the orange was the nicer of the two 😀

@[Deleted User] I could do that, if I had the money in hand. Unfortunately, I don't 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Can you not just pay for the Canyon in January and just pay it off monthly and when it arrives it arrives.

I did the same with a commencal I ordered in Jan and the bike didn't arrive until June I think it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've had a few beers, which may affect my judgement, but when i saw that image my first reaction was 'have i had a stroke?'

(and no, i do not mean in a puerile schoolboy sense)

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that HR will release the money. Canyon would have to invoice me for it.

If they'll invoice me, and then send the bike whenever, that would be grand

Other alternatives could be the "all road" type affairs that some manufactures seem to have and don't come with wide tyres but have decent clearance for them. I threw my leg over a Trek Domane Al 4 a while back and that came with 32mm tyres with room for more !!!! Again though 1799 for an alu Tiagra equipped bike meant I wasn't biting.

The Orbea I had my eye on this time last year that was priced at 1599 with super tyre clearance and a 105 groupo but zero stock has gone to being in stock now and north of 2000.

Read a piece on road.cc today they mentioned "normal supply" would be a problem until the end of 2022 ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Would your employer be able to work with someone like Alltricks? Their parent Decathlon does some nice gravel bikes too, you might be able to talk to them?

Or alternatively maybe it might be worth having a chat with one of the smaller suppliers like Fustle? They are in NI and might be able to work something in your budget and timeline.

https://www.ridefustle.com/collections/bikes/

One of the good things about looking for a gravel bike is that there are loads of small builders/suppliers out there. When I'm not so tired I'll think of some more.

My employer is an ETB, so they won't do individual accomodations for me. However, they don't seem to use a middleman, so that's a positive.

I'll have a look at the Alltricks website, and f there are any other small builders you can think of, nilhg, I'd appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I'm planning to buy the titanium gravel bike off Decathlon website if it ever comes back in stock, just need to figure out what I'll do with it.... In Dublin is there any website or links to gravel type info /routes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Just took a look at Fustle and they’ve no groupsets in stock to build up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In fairness to Cannondale, they are in bike shops rather than online only so that explains some of the difference with Canyon. I guess it depends, but as someone who's generally between sizes actually trying a bike before committing is worth a premium (and just getting it ready to ride).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Two alternatives to a Canyon Grail might be a Cube Nuroad (on paper these can look like better value but Canyon's tend to come with a wheelset that is a very worthy upgrade) or a Giant Revolt 1

I'm just waiting on confirmation, but it looks like Canyon will process the order in January, issue an invoice for my employer, and then supply the bike to me when it's back in stock, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the steer, @iwillhtfu, and thanks to everyone else for the input

I have to issue an apology

I just realised I've referred to @fat bloke as fat guy across this entire thread😖

• Advertisement

Yerra no worries, twas close enough :)

Just a quick update. Canyon e-mailed me to clarify that they don't take pre order, and I wouldn't be able to order the bike until it is in stock.

Looking closely at the Revolt 1 at the moment, seems like a good option

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i got a revolt advanced 2 recently, very happy with it. Had it on gravel and -36% declines, as well as 20+% inclines, swapped out the standard wheels and tyres for road ones, and did 5 hr spins. Very capable bike. NOt too heavy or slow with the road wheels either. Geometry on the revolt 1 & the advanced look similar, so i cant see any reason why the alu frame wouldnt be as capable as the carbon

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I may have another contender besides the Revolt and the Grail...

It popped up in another thread here. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

I had a cross bike that I used as a gravel bike/winter trainer, loved it but eventually moved it on for two reasons, it was a full on race bike not really designed with long term compliance or comfort as a priority, the high crossbar leads to a short seatpost, at times it was like riding a jackhammer. Tyre clearance, my Ridley had very little extra over enough for 33mm cross tyres, I'd suspect the cube might be similar but it's not specified on the page you quoted.

Thanks nihlg, that's exactly the sort of info I'm looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

The Cube spec looks decent value, as Cube often tend to be, especially in current times with price inflation on new bikes. The wheels are very basic and heavy though. I had a set on a bike and replacing them for something mid level made a huge difference.

Not sure if that helps any though as it’s probably the same story re wheels for a lot of bikes (ie that the stock wheels let down the rest of package)

Advertisement