Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,085 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did my requisite visit to Keavens Port today. Garden tables completely fully, main body of the pub quite busy with a primarily 40+ male crowd; but the little rooms at the front were all empty and that's probably the nicest place in any 'spoons in the city.

Contact tracing setup at the door is a tad convoluted and is using two staff - I'm sure Tim Martin is counting down the days til that's gone.

I still won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,342 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Been to Keavens three times since it opened

It's large inside and very nice looking but service is beyond terrible - had one round I ordered arrive 40 minutes after ordering, got other drinks before it but in fairness every visit we've ended up with free drink as they brought the same order out again multiple times lmao

Staff have no idea where they are going with the table numbers - walking round like headless chickens looking at table numbers

I'm sure it'll get better with time and I'm happy to pay a pretty penny less than a pub across the road 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did you get to see the old section of a church alter that is inside it, whats that like? Do they have tables right around it or how is it laid out?

And why no return, too busy or something else? Wont get to go for a few weeks myself but thats no bad thing when the staff are still getting up to speed

There's things outside saying "dining only in chapel" so I didn't think they'd appreciate me wandering in - it seems to have a decent volume of tables inside it. There's a holy water font is outside it covered with perspex.

Won't return as I've no need to - its not near where I'd go normally, I prefer other pubs in the area and I really dislike the food and the owner!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Must go and test it out, the reviews here so far have let me know to give the staff time to bed in, but nothing really negative outside of that.

• Advertisement

ah right, fair enough. I wouldnt normally drink in that area myself either so will probably be similar and just make the one visit some evening. I am in the area the odd time early mornings though and I think their full breakfast is something like 7 or 8 quid including tea/coffee so I might pop in for that the odd time

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I think it all depends where you are. If the town where you live has a brewery nearby, you will most likely get a local beer on tap. But also hopefully when more normal service returns, the craft offerings in pubs will return. I think a lot of them ended up doing quite decently during the time pubs were shutdown.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This is one of those things that should be true but isn't. Most Irish breweries have a very tough time selling beers locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Yeah I am sure it is quite tough.

Probably depends on the town itself. I'm talking as a person living in Bray, where the majority of the pubs have Wicklow Wolf or Larkins or O'Brother. Go to Greystones/Kilcoole/Shankill/Killiney/Dalkey or smaller places around the area and they will be mostly the same aswell.

Thinking of Sligo where I was recently, where most pubs had White Hag/Lough Gill. Or North Mayo were I had a 4 euro pint of Reel Deel in Kilala.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭OldRio

Oh the irony is utterly delicious. Martin complaining he can't get the staff or the beer.

Wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

The staff problems have been documented for ages, with Martin asking to be allowed take in more EU immigrants.

The beer thing is more recent and connected to the huge shortage of truck drivers which is significantly down to the end of cabotage rules since Brexit.

The horror of the consequences of your actions!

I presume its about this, some beers are not being stocked in Spoons

He was also on about not being able to get staff and wanted the Tories to introduce special visas to get eastern Europeans back into the UK. So far the Tories are saying that British businesses need to hire British staff but the haulage industry in particular needs 100,000 HGV drivers or theres going to be even more shortages in the run up to Christmas. Its certainly ironic that he was one of Brexits biggest backers and is now at the coal face of the effects of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The only downsize to this is where will the Weatherspoons clientele migrate to?

They might start attending, heaven forbid, nice bars. An awful thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Many posters here often frequent witherspoon's.

Stupid, ignorant comment.

If "nice bars" are where you and your ilk drink, l'd rather drink in witherspoon's!

If you like to line the pockets of that odious individual that is your choice.

Others have higher principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Jesus some real snobiness going on about the whole weatherspoons thing.

The politics of the whole thing is bizarre in my opinion. Plenty of other heinous things done by other corporations that people don't bat an eye to (pharma, oil, sports good, food production etc.). Objectively to me it's a good effective business model that works wherever it goes.

Also as someone based in england carling is much more an everyday man's larger drank in every pub going, tho k Carlsberg in ireland. So this will impact more or less all pubs in England. Cant say I have ever seen coors anywherein England. However for all the talk of empty shelves etc I haven't seen one empty shelf in any super market in the north east of England.

Its pretty ironic to be complaining about lining Tim Martins pockets on a digital device that contains cobalt and lines the pockets of mining companies in the Congo who use child slave labour. I mean if someone finds Tim Martin politics abhorrent enough for a boycott then surely they should be throwing away their phones and laptops too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

This is what you said

If you like to line the pockets of that odious individual that is your choice.

Others have higher principles.

I guess your principles arent that high so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Blut2

Every time I've been in a Spoons in Dublin at the weekend its been either busy, or very busy. And I presume thats not just my own anecdotal experience, given the fact they keep expanding quite quickly, and expanding into very large capacity locations at that.

So a minority (and/or pub owners) can complain as much as they want about the Britishness, or the owner's politics, or anything else. But the general public is voting with its feet pretty clearly - they seem delighted to have Spoons here. Which isn't that surprising given the ripoff prices in 'normal' pubs really.

When/if we get to a stage where we have 5-10 Spoons in the city center its going to make things very interesting. The normal publicans can ignore them when its only 1 or 2 locations, but once they're in a position to really start making a dent in the market it might lead to some real price competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Most people who talk about Martin's principles haven't a notion about the principles of the owner of the pubs they drink in.

It's amazing how these principles only surface about Martin - and how much of that is down to him not being Irish?

Which says a strange thing about the 'principles' behind the objection. Is racism a higher principle?

If you have a local and you know the publican fair enough, but it doesn't really apply to any of the areas Wetherspoon's have opened up here.

Most Irish people don't even know who or what entity owns the pub they are drinking in, certainly not city centres.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There are plenty of Irish publicans who treat their staff like sh1t and have them on minimum wage but you dont hear people complaining about them. Seems because Martin is English he is targeted yet his pubs pay above minimum wage, they even pay for university education for some of their staff. I dont agree on his Brexit positions but he is entitled to his views, as are we all in a democracy. Dont drink there if you feel that strongly about it, problem solved. But next time you're over in the UK looking for a pint make sure to ask the publican if they voted for Brexit or not, just to make sure your principals arent being breached 👍️

If we were to live our lives on principals and how businesses operate then you might as well knock off your electricity, throw away your phone and never buy clothes again. All of those industries commit human rights abuses far in excess of anything Tim Martin has ever done.

I know the politics of the owner of my local as it's a single pub entity, his family have local political history going back to the 30s (not with either of the parties that usually have publicans in them either!) and he would support that parties fundraising.

But that isn't going to be that common.

I don’t care who owns it or what they do, but for me Wetherspoons are just too like English pubs and English pubs are terrible. Ours are bad enough at the minute with having to sit down at tables but at least it’s coming to an end soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I would like it to happen, but I can't see any widespread price competition happening in Dublin pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Can I take it that JD Wetherspoon are doing well in Ireland?

All locations?

I was surprised that they sold some pubs in NI.

I wonder will the Galway pub go ahead?

And what is happening with the pub in the Dublin docklands?

• Advertisement

The Docklands one is due to open in December as is Waterford. Galway and a further Dublin premises will be later

Advertisement