Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan Sex Abuse Allegation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Considering the lawsuit gives a specific 6 week time period during one of the most scrutinised periods of Dylan's life where his movements can be, in the main, accounted for by biographers and scholars. I know these guys have vested interests in the whole affair but press reports from the time and tour dates/schedules would seem to poke holes in the case pretty easily. Like someone said, if it had been from the period after his motorbike accident where he retreated from public life, it would definitely have been a more plausible case.

Not trying to be an amateur internet sleuth on it and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if it turns out he was a sexual predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Ah no it wasn't a dig specifically at you, I won't lose any sleep if he was a sexual predator either, I'd rather it wasn't the case simply because it'd be one less predator after damaging loves, but my point being precisely because it is one of the most recorded parts of his life that you'd think the accusers team has their ducks in a row, seems ludicrous that they'd make a claim, true or false, that could be debunked immediately.

Here’s an interesting post discrediting the lawyer- he’s not a particularly good or successful one _ I think this case will be over before it starts.

https://larrynoodles.com/deadbeat-lawyer-dan-isaacs-sues-bob-dylan-for-sexual-molestation/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭mikethecop

christ , talk about making it all about your self and trying to provoke something 🙄

ignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've heard of many cases of celebrity look-a-likes using their resemblance to someone famous to get laid so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a predator with a passing resemblance to a man who would have been one of the most famous musicians of his (and, honestly, any) era used that to his advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

And you started this thread with the very reasonable position of waiting for the results of the investigation. Now you're making your own conclusions without even hearing the details of the accusation.

The sensible position remains to wait for the investigation and see if the claims are true or not. So far we have a vague accusation taking place over a 6 week period over 2 months (so 6 out of 8.5 weeks). There isn't even agreement on what "over a period of 6 weeks" means because the accuser hasn't revealed what exactly they mean.

We also have a biographer claim that he has a rough idea where BD was during that period and a documentary crew who, it is claimed, were filming some (we don't know how much) of his movements during that time.

An unbiased observer would admit they don't have enough evidence to even lean one way or the other. Do I believe the accuser's claim? No. I'd need to see what the claim is and see how it is investigated and substantiated. Do I believe the biographer's timeline? No. I'd need to see what the claim is and see how it is investigated and substantiated.

Anyone who is making conclusions or leaning heavily one way or the other, is doing so based purely on bias and prejudice. They're reaching the conclusion they started with. You've done this a number of times in the thread. You did it early on when you said you'd give him the benefit of the doubt because he's a powerful, influential artist who you like (not because everyone is innocent unless proved guilty). Now you're reaching the same conclusion based on the lawyer. Why even pretend you had any intention to wait for the evidence?

My god will you give it a rest - you’ve posted the same post over and over again at me and I’m sick of it now - I’ll think what I want and say whatever I want thanks very much

Of course you'll do what you want. I haven't suggested otherwise.

What changed since the other day when you started the thread and said you wanted to wait for the investigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Speculation does not mean that a conclusion has been drawn on the outcome.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah but the speculating always seems to go the same way as the person's own bias. It's as clever as speculating that there's "no smoke without fire". A person taking an honest look at the situation will do neither. They will just wait for the investigation.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bowie fucked everything. So it's hardly surprising that he screwed groupies that were literally there to be screwed like Lori Maddox. And I doubt she went around the Sunset Strip saying what her age was and she didn't look it either. Here she is with a Brummie who probably couldn't believe his luck...

Dylan was a different kettle of fish and we're talking 12 here. That kind of proclivity usually isn't a "one off". Plus there's underage and there's underage. And this is an accusation of grooming over a period of time, not some groupie who put themselves there for a specific reason. Sable Starr and Lori Maddox could get away with saying they were 18. But a 12 year old would find that difficult.

As for Saville, he was always a creep. He acted like a creep. He sounded like a creep. And the rumours surrounding him were in the air since the 70's. So, when it came to light that he allegedly did what he did (on the back of many an allegation) it sounded convincing.

Now, this thing about Dylan may well be true. But it just doesn't sound true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Firstly, they'd have to not care if its true or not.

Secondly they'd have to use pure bias and prejudice to conclude what they would prefer to be true.

There is no evidence in this case yet. Just a claim and counter claim. The evidence hasn't even begun. If nothing else, it shows the potency of bias in people's thinking - and its always pretty Interesting to see someone's bias rule their thinking.

I'm a big fan so I'd like to think it was bullshit but who knows what went on all those years ago? And yes I agree we don't know enough yet so shouldn't make any conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

All such accusations in court should be kept anonymous. With press restricted.

As it stands the name of the accused is now smeared. Even though theres been no evidence of wrongdoing.

And theres zero consequences for the accuser.

Meaning you can just damage someone for the lulz, and the system will back you up.

Dylan is worse off today than yesterday, and no proof has been presented.

Therefore his govt has failed him.

I’m beginning to think that way myself- it’s a civil suit written by a lawyer for maximum impact- while none of us can be certain either way I think the suit is highly dubious- why not go to the police and make a report first? I don’t agree with this type of approach at all

And it's fine to do what you have done and be honest about what you would prefer to be true and also acknowledge that we can't reach any conclusions yet.

Let's just allow the evidence to emerge before we reach conclusions (sound so basic, doesn't it?)

I don't take that approach. Anyone can have an accusation made against them. We saw yesterday as evidence emerged in court about how Stephen Lennon (AKA Tommy Robinson) threatened to publicly call a journalists husband a paedo if she published a story about him.

Anyone can make an accusation for any reason including vengeance, profit and because its ture. We have no idea if its true so I go along with the accused being innocent unless proved guilty as a principle, not because I like his music.

If you give be benefit of innocence unless proved guilty ONLY because you like the accused, then you are legitimising people who presume hes guilty because he's been accused or because you DON'T like him or his music.

Somehow, waiting for the evidence before reaching s conclusion seems to be an ezmxtremist position

Yes all true but the seeds of doubt have been planted now regardless. Arguably one of the worst labels today is a paedohphile and even if found innocent in a court of law the reputational damage can last for years.

• Advertisement

Yep, that's one of the reasons why I'm no longer taking this case seriously- that and his response when challenged on the timelines of April and May 1965- "that he did plenty of research on the internet"- ha ha, the guy is bringing one of the most serious cases you can think of against a well respected musician and all he can muster when challenged on timelines, is that he's confident because he did a bit of googling before submitting the case to court :D

Finally, these sort of cases are normally handled by top well respected law firms who do this kind of thing for a living- you don't take on the might of the legal power at the disposal of Bob Dylan without a credible law firm yourself

I'm guessing that this case did the rounds of those law firms and was turned down by them.

So he (Lennon) must be accused of threatening with menaces or some such charge (I dont know the actual charge). But not of a having committed a sexual offense. A far lesser charge, and far less damaging to reputation.

If a reasonable possibility can be established of the law being used as a mechanism to wrongfully smear and damage someones name, then why on earth would personal details not be initially kept anonymous.

What you seem to have written is basically **** anyone on the receiving end of a false accusation.

There is no innocent until proven guilty in the world of media and reputation, accusation is guilt.

I've heard that El_Duderino 09 is actually 5 cats in a small room that generate posts.

Now based on experience and knowing how difficult it is to get a cat to type legibly, let alone to get 5 cats to agree on something I'm going to conclude, at this time, that it probably isn't a true statement.

El_Duderino on the other hand is going to argue that for each of us we can't make that tentative conclusion until and unless we see proof, like watch over his shoulder while he makes a post. He'll then make a semantic argument which makes no sense. He'll tell us that experience is completely irrelevant and that it's just a form of prejudice really.

In El_Duderino's world their can be no belief, there can be no inkling, there can be no making a call. Everything must be absolute. Which leaves 99.999% percent of things completely up in the air. Buying a bag of crisps is impossible because you don't know that it's not actually a bag of beetles. Pulling out of a junction that you can't see at least half a kilometre in each direction from would be basically suicide because there could be a car coming at 350km/h. For most of us we'd draw on experience and make the judgement that there probably isn't and that it's safe to pull out. That's really just ignorance on our part.

The fact it's Bob Dylan that there's been none of these rumours about for half a century, the fact it was filed just before the deadline for the law reverting, the timeframe of the claim not making sense, the lawyer seeming like a swindler, all this makes me think right now, on the balance of probability, that the story is bullshit because it smells of bullshit. If actual evidence comes out that suggests otherwise I'll more than happily reconsider my current opinion. Something that people used to be able to do all the time.

I didn't thank that post above out of some sort of argumentativeness or spite, but because of the bag of crisps/beetles line lolol.

Funny thing is not long ago a friend of a friend got a bag of healthy crisps (or whatever shite they are :P ) in Tesco of all places, got home, nothing out of the ordinary with the bag, opened it and it seemed a bit weird, looked inside and there were spider and insect carcasses and loads of webs. So maybe there's something to it.

Hey I'm a crisp fan- you're making me all paranoid now about crisps packets and what I'll find in them 😪

It's funny, years ago, like over 30 years ago, I read an article in the paper one day about about a mouse or mouse bits or something mouse related found in a packet of Munchies - to this day, I haven't purchased a packet of Munchies - to this day, you could say I'm "prejudiced against Munchies- and not a courtroom in sight 😀

No an unbiased observer wouldn’t come to the conclusions you are coming to. The burden of proof is on the prosecution. Bob Dylan, whose music I can take or leave, has one of the most documented lives in history.

it’s extremely disingenuous to say that the documentary crew may not have known where he was all the time, the salient fact is he was in England but the accusations were based in New York. You either know this and are ignoring it deliberately, or don’t know it and therefore haven’t done basic research

It’s the first thing I researched. If you didn’t know it your arguments can’t be taken seriously, if you do know it the statement is ludicrous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

"And theres zero consequences for the accuser."

This thread would suggest otherwise.

Genealogy Forum Mod

No no. The assumption is that he was in England the whole time. It has been claimed that there was a documentary crew (and the assumption is that they recorded him all the time so he couldn't possibly have been in NY) but hasn't been substantiated yet.

It may turn out to be true but that would require evidence, not just claims. If you believe claims without evidence then you'd have to believe the woman's claim too. But I suspect you're just believing the claims that lead to BD's innocence.

I'll just wait for the evidence instead of letting my prejudice dictate the conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m ready to hear the evidence of course but just to say ... Dylan in 1965 definitely would have had the funds to take a quick trip over to NYC from England if he wanted to....he was a big international star then, he’d hit the big time around 2 years earlier like

Advertisement