Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser eye surgery with optilase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Just a question for those who had it done say few years is your sight still as good now or does sight deteriorate with age or is this different for each individual

Mine is still very good 5 years on. I’m sure there would eventually be some deterioration, but I’ve yet to experience it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I'm having my surgery in optilase Ely Place in just over 2 weeks, i will be paying for my surgery today or Monday, does anyone have a referral code i can use? Also how do i use the referral code? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Just a question for those who had it done say few years is your sight still as good now or does sight deteriorate with age or is this different for each individual

I had it done about 14 years ago and have been wearing glasses for the last 3 years maybe. I'm 42, -1.50. It was like a switch, they just got bad all of a sudden. I didn't expect that but hey best money I ever spent. It wasn't in optilase by the way. I know three people that had it done about 10-16 years ago and no deterioration (late 30's early 40s).

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭alicenyhan

mixed up wrote: »
    I'm having my surgery in optilase Ely Place in just over 2 weeks, i will be paying for my surgery today or Monday, does anyone have a referral code i can use? Also how do i use the referral code? Thank you

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I did it 15 years ago with Optilase

Went from -5.25 & -4.5 to 0.0 & -0.25

Best money I ever spent

I think sure it has deteriorated a little bit but that’s age I reckon. I’m still good for driving or everyday tasks. Reading on screens is a little more difficult than 15 years ago but I expected that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tcx123

I got it done a month ago now. Couldn’t recommend it enough! Really is life changing. I got lasik and could see the next day. I took a week off as I work in front of a computer and wanted to let my eyes recover. If you need a referral I can give you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

I had it done 15 years ago. My daughter now wants to have it done, but I think you had to be over 25 back then.

Daughter is 21. Is she too young? She is about -5.5 or thereabouts. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I had it done 15 years ago. My daughter now wants to have it done, but I think you had to be over 25 back then.

Daughter is 21. Is she too young? She is about -5.5 or thereabouts. Many thanks.

They still recommend that you're over 25 to make sure your eyes don't change. If she's had the same prescription for a few years they may take her so its worth giving a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caathrionaa

mixed up wrote: »

I have one if you still havent paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 siobhan5454

I'm 26 and getting Lasik in August. A bit nervous. I'm -4.25 in each eye. Thought I wouldn't be eligible as my eyes are still deteriorating every year but had my consultation and she said I was suitable. Price is €3840 for me.

• Advertisement

I'm 26 and getting Lasik in August. A bit nervous. I'm -4.25 in each eye. Thought I wouldn't be eligible as my eyes are still deteriorating every year but had my consultation and she said I was suitable. Price is €3840 for me.

I sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

Hi everyone.

I'm looking at getting surgery done with optilase in the next month or two. However, I'm not happy with the price.

I've seen plenty of people had success haggling with them. I'm just curious how people got on and what "tactics" they used when negotiating. Was it by email, phone, or both?

I'd be more than happy to go through with it but the price isn't right for me at the minute.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I haven't heard of anyone who's been able to haggle down the price, I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I doubt it's that common or that they'd give much off. No harm in asking I guess, maybe try telling them that you were quoted X for whichever procedure with another company.

The prices are only going one way so if you are planning on getting them done then I wouldn't be holding off in the hope that there'll be better deals down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I have glasses that I just use when watching TV. Out and about, things are a little blurry but not enough to ruin my life. I'm by no means in desparate need of laser eye surgery but I think I want it just to eliminate the need for glasses and to have that extra clarity in my day to day life.

I'm sure people in my situation would not go ahead with it due to the costs involved but I'm willing to pay.

Has anyone else gotten surgery that didn't actually have horrible eyesight? Or are ye all blind as a bat without glasses on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dez102

I’m considering getting the laser eye surgery but what’s this referral you all talk about. Does that give some discount to the price

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I was the same as you, i only ever wore glasses to watch the tv, I gave up wearing contact lenses as my eyes were getting really dry, my eyes were - 2.75 and - 2.25, i could see enough to get by but everything would be blurry and couldn't read things, i only got my surgery 2 weeks ago today.

My eyes are now better than 20/20 vision, it's expensive alright, cost me 3840 but i got 100 off for referral, I'm delighted with the results and it feels great to finally be able to see perfect. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Is there still a cut-off point for laser eye depending on how bad your vision is? Or are there different factors at play. I have really bad vision, and was told by a consultant I was visiting for an eye-related matter that he wouldn't do it based on my vision - but that was maybe 15 years ago. Hoping things have changed now and technology is more advanced!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishgal23

Hey guys I had my consultation for laser eye surgery woohoo. I am due to travel to Dublin in a few weeks for pre op consultation. Is this similar to the first consultation but with the surgeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 siobhan5454

Hi @irishgal23 So I think the "pre op consultation" is where you meet your surgeon directly before your surgery. I just had my Surgery on Thursday 12th. On the email it was down as "pre op consultation" but that's the actual date of your surgery. You meet the surgeon directly before it so he/she can see your eyes themselves before the operation.

If you need a refferal let me know, you will get €100 off the procedure. Someone kindly gave me a refferal a few weeks ago before my surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

After 15 years of contact lenses I finally got laser eye surgery (Lasik) and I instantly regretted it. But then 2 hours later when the stinging subsided I kinda changed my mind and was happy again. 😃

Got it done in Ely Place yesterday. All went well and my vision is already really good about 14 hours later. Have to return for my one day check up later today.

Some things I wish I knew going in….

1. Be prepared for a few excruciating hours afterwards. Think of any time your eyes were stinging because you got soap in them or something like that. Well imagine that for about 2 hours. And you can’t touch your eyes or squint or anything to relieve the irritation. Bring the strongest pain killers you have and get them into you as soon as you can. I’d say even take them just before you step into the surgery room cause you’re only in there for about 10 minutes. The pain for me started about 2 minutes after i left the operation room.
    2. The pre laser surgery itself is uncomfortable. Not completely painless, it’s just as weird as you’d imagine it would be when someone is messing with your eyes. There was pain for me when they were putting something onto my eyeball at the start. I think it’s a suction thing but I have no idea and don’t want to research it. It’s not a sharp pain, but just more of a pressure pain. But it’s bearable, it’s not a show stopper at all.
    3. The laser part of the surgery is over in like 15 seconds for each eye. It’s the weirdest thing. You’re looking up at a blurry red dot and the laser makes a cracking sound. You can feel the heat of the laser and you can smell something burning. Ha. It’s not painful, just weird. It’s over very quickly though.
    4. My sister had it done a few years ago and got a valium tablet beforehand. They never offered me one…. I’d have loved that. I was nervous but the staff are really good so it’s a nice experience overall.
    5. There are a lot of aftercare rules in terms of not touching your eyes and using 3 sets of drops for a week. Not getting water in your eyes is another one. Just prepare yourself for at least a week of disruption and please follow whatever they tell you to do. :)

All in all I’m happy I done it. But yeah that after surgery pain was bloody awful. They said you might want to sleep afterwards…. No I was pacing my bedroom with my eyes closed while they streamed water. It was my way of dealing with that pain/irritation. About 2-3 hours later the painkillers and some slight relief in the irritation allowed me to relax and i kind of drifted off to a bit of a semi-sleep state for an hour and when I woke I could see much better and get up and walk around with little restrictions.

I wouldn’t tell someone to not do it, but I would warn them about the few hours afterwards. Just get the strongest painkillers you can into you early. That’s my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Follow up on my Lasik surgery:

Went back for my 24 hour post op check up yesterday. All good. Took about 15-20 minutes in and out. Met with a very nice man (optician) who checked my vision by asking me to do an eye chart test. I have 20/20 vision now. Hurray. He also looked in my eye to check the flap part was sitting perfectly. All good.

I have yet another thing that I wish I knew before going in…… This one is funny.

The optician put these orange coloured drops in my eye to look in and check all was ok. What he didn’t tell me was that my face under my eyes was covered in orange dye. I walked out looking like a fool with big orange rings under my eyes. Lucky i got straight into a car so not too embarrassing but note to anyone attending the 24 hour check up…… look in a mirror before you leave! 😃

Just to balance #1 a little in case anyone is feeling apprehensive... At no point was I in any serious pain. It was uncomfortable after the procedure. It felt like I had grit in my eyes and there was a little tenderness but I wasn't in much pain. I slept for a few hours after the surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 larkos

Hi Guys, I'm looking for a referral discount for Optilase Corkif anyone can help me out. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

How old it too old for surgery - mid 40's myself and been debating this for a while, so I know that after 40 the eyes naturally will start to deteriorate more. Just wondering if anyone in my age range in here would have feedback.

I referred a woman in her 40s recently and she's really happy with the result. She'll probably need reading glasses at some stage like the rest of us but her short sightedness was corrected. Its worth going for the free consultation anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Me too, I am 43 and have been wondering about this, problem is I am -7 or so on both eyes - blind basically, have been wearing glasses since I was 12 and am used to them, so not a massive deal, I went for a consult about 10 years ago and it was 2,500 PER EYE !! .... So I did a James Woods on that one ...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KayleighRen

Hi Guys, I'm looking for a referral discount for Optilase Cork if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

Advertisement