Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Even before Federer returned, most/all of us were thinking it was very ambitious/optimistic at his age and given the nature of the operation.

Getting to the quarter finals of Wimbledon and the fourth round of the FO wasn't that bad a return given his lack of match practice.

I think if he can make the 2nd week of the US Open he should be happy with that and call it a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Nadal drops out of the top 3 for the first time in 4 years, Tsitsipas enters the top 3 for the first time...Federer turns 40....

someone should write a folk song maybe...

Sinner becomes youngest ever ATP 500 winner (since category was created in 2009) by taking the Citi Open

It seemed like he had gone off the boil a bit (even though he got to the Miami final earlier in the year)

Still has no real record to speak of in terms of beating current Top 10 players - will have to show that next.

And it was not exactly a stacked field at this event

He's up to number 15 himself now

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh wow, Federer needs more knee surgery and is out of the US Open. I think that's pretty much the death knell for his career tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Farewell at Halle and Wimbledon next year then, maybe the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Camila Giorgi continues her decent form from the Olympics by winning the Rogers Cup. Weird to see her like, constructing points and stuff. Has she finally learned at the age of almost 30 that just slapping the ball back and hoping for the best probably isn't the best way to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Apparently she has been told to play more conservatively and constructively*. She's always had a great record against top players for someone with a much lower ranking, implying her ranking ought to be a good deal higher. That's 3 wins over Pliskova in the last 2 months or so. I'm not sure what was the deal with all the lipstick though.

*Whether she can play as well against someone who really varies the play a lot is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Very hard to see Federer come back from this, sounds like it'll be next year at the earliest before he attempts a comeback, he'll be heading for 41 and only have played a handful of games in over 2 years. It's a sad way for a great player to end his career, but, it looks like we've probably seen the last of Federer, be very surprised if he doesn't announce his retirement in the next 6 to 9 months or so, but, he's probably holding out hope for a Wimbledon farewell.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shark7

Be great to see Federer back

I can understand that Federer would like to play a farewell season.

I can understand that his fans would like to see him play one more time.

But let's be realistic, why would anyone expect it to be an improvement on this year?

Many of his fans said he shouldn't have tried to return this year and should have retired a few years ago, closer to the height of his powers.

Nobody took any enjoyment out of seeing him bageled at Wimbledon and I think that whatever participation he'll manage next year will only tarnish our memory of him.

• Advertisement

I reckon Federer had planned to retire in 2020, he was probably hoping to win Wimbledon 2020 and have a tilt at the Olympic singles Gold which eluded him throughout his career. If he had had a good Wimbledon and had won the Gold I think he'd have retired, he may even have retired if he'd beaten Djokovic at Wimbledon 19. Then in early 2020 the knee injuries hit and Covid came along, which actually gave him a chance to recover from his knee injuries, that clearly hasn't worked out and he's now back to square one, but, a year and a half older, knees crocked, an unsatisfactory end to Wimbledon for him and not able to even play the Olympics. Even though he's had a brilliant career he still probably feels theirs some unfinished business and can't admit that his career is over.

I think he should retire now, as he will never again be competitive at the top level, but, he has also earned the right to call time on his career whenever he likes, as have both Nadal and Djokovic.

No way would Federer have retired if he won either Wimbledon 2019 or 2020 imo, why bow out and let Djokovic overtake you when you're still winning slams? He'll only go when it's patently obvious he can no longer contend at the top level any more, which is pretty much where he's arriving at now. Prediction for next year; he'll play Halle and retire after making the QF's of Wimbledon.

Had he won Wimbledon 2019 or 2020 (if it had gone ahead) or the Olympics 2020 ( had it gone ahead in 2020), he'd have been retiring at the top, on a high similar to how Sampras won the US Open and retired, it doesn't get better than that, winning your last Slam, last match of your career and none of your rivals ever having the opportunity to beat you again, instead he's stuck in a situation where he's no longer able to compete at the top level and when he is able to play is struggling against or losing to fairly average players, not exactly the dream finish to a career.

Federer would have missed Wimbledon and Olympics 2020 as he was out of action (also with knee surgery - one after Melbourne and had to get a second one not planned)

I know that, I was just saying it was probably his original plan to retire in 2020, he was probably hoping to win Wimbledon or Olympics or at least go close to doing that as he did with Wimbledon 2019 to finish on a high, then the knee injuries and Covid came along to upset those plans and he tried to comeback this year, probably more in hope than anything else, but, as we saw he was no where near competitive as his body is no longer able for top level tennis and is only going to decline further. Time waits for no man.

"...Time waits for no man"

And in classic Lord of the Rings style, Federer unties the pony tail to let it all hang down and announces, "I am no man".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrCvgiQGh1o

(Apologies for the digression)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I guess if you take Djokovic out of the equation then Wimbledon is the most open of the slams currently given Medvedev and particularly Tsitsipas haven't shown much of a liking for grass thus far. I'd imagine Nadal will go all in for the French again and won't show too much of an interest in the grass court season. If Federer does play next year I'd imagine it will just be as a farewell though, if he made the quarters again he'd have to be happy with that. That's his call. I think he's earned the right to go out this way if he wants, it shouldn't diminish what he's achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Osaka at it again regarding interviews. Think she just needs to walk away, she can't hack it.

If there are sports psychologists why can't there be press conference psychologists?

Albeit a very niche market.

Maybe some perspective treatment could work - a week in Kabul?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Augme

The world number two then left the press conference to compose herself, before returning, answering one further question in English and several in Japanese

But according to the resident Osaka experts we have here she can't speak any Japanese? Must be a mistake by the newspaper obviously.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/tennis/naomi-osaka-breaks-down-in-tears-in-first-media-appearance-since-pulling-out-of-french-open-40760171.html

• Advertisement

“You’re not crazy about dealing with us, especially in this format, yet you have a lot of outside interests that are served by having a media platform,” Daugherty said. “I guess my question is, how do you balance the two, and also do you have anything you’d like to share with us about what you did say to Simone Biles?”

This set off the waterworks.

It's a crazy situation now where it's a big story about how any reporter asks her a question - whole articles about the "tone" of the question. I wonder how all of this started to get to this preposterous point.....

Re answering questions in Japanese haven't seen any footage of that.

She has said before that she can understand Japanese but only speaks it with family and friends?

She has in the past answered a few questions but the responses were very simplistic and broken.

July 2021 article here ->

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/yes-naomi-osaka-knows-japanese-221350847.html

"So much Japanese does Naomi speak? According to The New York Times, Naomi’s sister is almost fluent in Japanese, and while Naomi isn’t fluent yet, she understands most Japanese. She told the newspaper that she’s often too shy and too much of a perfectionist to speak Japanese in public, which is why at news conferences, she often responds to Japanese journalists’ questions in English. “I don’t know if you guys know this, but I can understand most Japanese, and I speak when I want to,” Naomi tweeted in 2018. “That applies to my family and friends.”

Sure I speak Russian myself but only on a 1950's black telephone.

As I said, obviously the newspaper report of her answering questions in Japanese was wrong as the boards experts know more.

Tbh I think press conferences before or after most sports events are a waste of time, very little of value gets said, fine in the latter stages of major tournaments ( across all sports), but, a bit pointless in small, unimportant tournaments.

The primary focus of a tennis player should be their tennis. These days media has to be done and while I'd have sympathy for some players who don't like doing media, it's part of the job and has to be done, but, players can't complain about doing media on the one hand and then going on social media to promote their brand, you can't have it both ways. Osaka could easily have nipped this in the bud by doing the bare minimum media work like a lot of players do, but, instead she threw a hissy fit and has made a rod for her own back now, drawing attention to herself and now every bit of media she does is scrutinised.

Well it's certainly a new development

she hasn't lived in Japan since she was a toddler and obviously doesn't practice it much because her normal modus operandi is to answer questions posed to her in Japanese in English - this has been stated in many newspaper articles

you'll struggle to find any example of her speaking Japanese anywhere up to this date

maybe she has invested some of the lucrative Japanese sponsor money in a few private lessons - it's not as if she can't afford it.

the press conference is online (below) but the Japanese speaking part is not included in it.

I'm sure the "newspaper report" is correct but it's not online for some reason

with all the focus on her at the Olympics and lighting the flame but never speaking the host language in public maybe that spurred her to up her speaking Japanese game!

not that surprising I suppose as was more than a bit of a credibility point for her beforehand.

would actually be interesting to see it.

It's a preposterous situation at this stage - it's a bigger story now in terms of media coverage than her playing tennis.

She created it all to begin with and continues to make a big issue of it like the other day with the waterworks and walkout when asked / called out about having her cake and eating it too.

Yes, I'm sure she learn a whole new language in the matter of a few weeks during the olympics.

Don't be stupid.

She was an expert all along but chose not to ever ever reveal this superpower in public heretofore even when there was huge comment about this fact when she was lighting the Olympic flame for Japan.

Naoimi Osaka is just amazing in so many ways

Well you think she is amazing does explain your obsession with her alright.

Amazing yes

So amazing

Doesn't even have to play tennis half the season these days on surfaces not to her taste but still in all the headlines

Amazing

• Advertisement

She's in the headlines because it generates attention. Because people like yourself seem obsessed with her.

Advertisement