Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it should force teams to go for a touchdown of they're sure of making it rather than having 20 pick and goes. More incentive to pull the defence apart with passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Are these ELV’s or full law changes? Some might help but the scrum ones are fairly drastic and fundamentally change the nature of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Theyre law trials for season but most should be confirmed as full changes after the season unless something major comes up that didnt in the initial trials they held with them in play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

I'd speculate that the scrum changes are a reaction to that France v Wales game a few years ago.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The ruck change about no one joining after a ruck is called will mean that it's far more likely for a ruck to end in unplayable ball as the ability to join and shift/clear out a player obstructing the ball is gone.

And along with the scrum change that just means more tap and go free kicks - So more and more like Rugby league.

Just no no no.

I like the change in the clear-out, but equally if they just applied the laws that exist today they could solve that without need for additional changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No Scrubs from penalties is daft, what about the option of setting up an attacking scrum inside the 22 to try and score off of? A terrible idea in my opinion

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There are far better and easier ways to deal with those scenarios that don't involve almost completely eradicating the scrum from the game.

Simple one - Set a maximum number of consecutive scrums resulting from scrum offences, maybe 4?

After that you have to take the penalty/free kick , the option of scrum is taken away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

MLR only allows one scrum reset before a free kick/penalty is given.

Thinking back to games such as when England scrummed Australia into the dirt in the RWC SF in 07. Removing that possibility is terrible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ah the old "5 seconds" to use it rule again .

Ball at the back of a ruck.

Scrum half hunched over for about 10 seconds.

Ref "use it now 9"

Another 10 seconds pass.

Scrum half looks up.

Another 5 seconds pass.

Finally scrum half box kicks it.

I'd love to see this rule being properly reffed.

I've taken to counting in my head every time the ref calls use it. They do actually tend to use it at around the 5 second mark..but 5 seconds is just quite along time.

This will be the death of the stupid human centipede rucks but there must be a better way of doing that.

• Advertisement

Look like good changes and will reduce stoppages I suspect also.

Refs should simply be instructed to call the ball out. They're not there to coach.

More rules for rucks when they don't enforce the ones already present. You want better rucks, revert to the old-school style where there were no hands allowed. Shoulders above hips. Allow rucking for players lying on the wrong side.

The balls not out though, that's the entire point. The ref is giving them instruction to use it

I know people pine for "old school rucking" periodically but it is quite obviously never, ever going to happen.

Ball at the back of the ruck for 5 secs, balls out. That simple

Yep.

Ref calls "use it" then 5-4-3-2-1 , Ruck over and opposition can now come around and play the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Are the changes around when scrums can be awarded coming into the pro game? I thought it was just the amateur games and maybe that's due to safety. Or did I read the changes wrong? Same with joining a ruck after the ref calls ruck.

I see the Rugby Championship is going to have the 20 minute red card rule. The Lions probably would have liked that as Kolbe might have seen red under those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 22meehoovereinenschaft22

Rugby union is running the danger of becoming something of a knock-off version of rugby league with these scrum, 50-20 and goal-line drop-out rules.

I remember watching the Reds playing the Waratahs last year at a sparsely-attended Brookvale Oval, with the Reds wearing Maroon opposite the sky blue of the Waratahs. The occasion struck me as an insipid and rather desperate attempt to piggyback off the success of the rivalry of State of Origin. It was strange to see union props carting the ball up for a hit-up from a drop-out under the sticks. Do union administrators realise that being held-up over the line in league results in a play-the-ball 10 metres out (or a turn-over on the last tackle)? Hoofing the ball 30 or 40 metres down-field will release pressure. Looks to be such a dumb change!

I suppose union have copied so many innovations from league over the years that these latest additions may not come as a total surprise.

Have a strong feeling for the argies to beat the boks tomorrow. Thoughts fellow posters?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by ELV or full law changes? ELVs were the specific laws trialled in stellonbosch first then trialled globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, teams often go over the line now when there is little or no chance of avoiding being held up because they'll get an attacking 5 metre scrum. This law change will have a big impact on that part oof the game, it makes the forward pick and go on the line more risky than getting the ball away into space.

Its a global trial. no harm in reducing some of the issues of the scrum that are causing issues in the pro game(yet these law trials are at all levels of game and where the issues are not near as bad in club rugby....) I dont see the changes making union anything near like a knock off of league but its only a year whats the harm in looking at something a bit differently??

Union has so many issues in Australia and it was going so strong in early 2000s its such a shame to see how poor its doing in so much of australia though can be said that Australian union is at fault for lot of that as they never really expanded the game beyond a few select schools in many places....

Mods Should these law posts not be in either the laws thread or rugby 101 thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 23 22meehoovereinenschaft22

It might be fun if it's only a year. I can see the point that another user was making about discouraging constant pick and drives. It suppose it could herald halfbacks looking to open things up in the attacking quarter and make the ball sing.

I'm not convinced, but I'll keep an open mind.

The real issue with the scrum is just how long it takes. If you look at games in the pre professional era there was barely a stop in play for a scrum, lads just went in, packed down, and it was done and the game restarted. Obviously there is a safety issue around the scrum that needed to be addressed and so a more formal ref managed procedure has become the norm but it's absurd to spend 5 or more minutes on multiple reset scrums when there isn't even a competition for the ball off the feed, just a competition for a penalty. Incentives are arseways here. One big advantage a team can gain from a scrum is another stoppage for a penalty or for a reset. SA used it masterfully to waste time and most good teams do the same any time they've got someone in the bin. People are quick to dismiss criticism of the scrum because league, but if you were to sit down and formalize rugby union laws from scratch there is no way the scrum would operate like it does currently.

Whats the alternative? We're not league with its joke of a scrum and changing it any more to remove scrum totally changes the sport and we dont need that.

Some games do see scrums taking forever but talking about the pre professional era is totally irrelevant as you mention the safety issue. the way scrums were done then just couldnt happen now so no point even trying to compare then to now.

Resets just seem like a ref copping out much of the time. Also, when there is no competition for the ball on the feed it seems to me its not really a scrum! But the alternative is for refs to reset no more than once, then make the call as to who gets a free kick or a tap and go. There is absolutely no reason that rugby pros get the scrum wrong time and again. And it's not as if the current situation is always 'fair'. Refs often making really marginal calls to award a penalty when things have gone on too long, the laws should limit the ability of teams to to waste time around the scrum. Currently that aspect of the game is accepted as some sort of natural phenomenon.

Theyre not really as if you were to just give penalties immediately then the scrum would be pointless and it would be worse. you say the pros are constantly getting the scrum wrong. I dont see that. what would you be changing to stop wastage of time as just quitting after one reset means teams with poor props/poor scrum will be enabled to act the ***** if they know that as long as they dont give away a penalty in the first scrum call then they will then just give away a free kick/tap and go...

I don't disagree with your assessment, but much of what you fear is already happening except it takes longer. It's currently often a coin toss as to which team the ref will penalize when a scrum goes down. WE saw it with the Lions where refs on commentary were disagreeing with the ref on the field over which team should be pniged, often a ref resets when there has clearly been a binding offense or an elbow on the ground, I haven't seen the stats but I guess that in test matches far more than 50% of scrums are either reset or result in a penalty. And on the pros ability to execute a scrum, if it's not the case that they are doing something wrong then why all the resets? Imagine if the same were to happen with lineouts? And if one front row is significantly weaker or less skilled than the other, that most often results in a penalty too because they get blown away. Ultimately the scrum laws are a work in progress that aren't nearly there yet. I think a straight feed would be a good start though, genuine competition to strike the ball might just ease the pressure on the front row or de-emphasise the importance of a big shove on contact, often the area where things break down. Regardless though, as I said earlier, without a straight feed its something other than a scrum.

• Advertisement

If they want to make the scrums better, they need sequential engagement. That would remove any possibility of early pushing, ref can ensure front rows are bound correctly. Anything else is polishing a turd at this point

Advertisement