Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Says the lad posting memes about Brexit voters. You have some balls crying the victim after calling conservatism a worthless ideology and belief system whilst moderating the politics forum. Maybe you're getting bolder now since the website is dying that you don't have to hide your true face anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The meme was about GB News. I specifically stated this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its not just conservatism that was berated.

The Old, Christians, Mainstream American Right (Nazis), Anti lockdown protesters all came in for special treatment.

Conservatism is a worthless and dead ideology

Old people are the most privileged people that have ever existed in society. We've literally crashed the global economy for them and they still insist on voting in trash like Johnson and Trump

Fortunately so as there turned out to be a gathering of human refuse stamping their feet and spewing their bile.

There's no such thing as principled bigotry. If Christians had a shred of principle they'd be consistent but they only perk up when they can inflict suffering on others.

Funny how Christians only seem to care about the parts of their faith that justify their abuse of other people.

It was the mainstream American right who were waving swastikas in January at the Capitol as I recall.

How can someone so biased be a politics moderator, its preposterous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you think disagreeing with someone, and pointing that out equates to bullying?

Interesting view of someone who spends time on a discussion forum.

I know for a fact that Eskimohunt will not change their mind. If GB news does disappear, than so too will the thread and many contributors may do so also at that time. We saw it with the US election last year when the day of it being announced for Biden coincided with the disappearance of many posters who had been fighting hard to show support for Trump up to that point and claiming it was a dead cert he was going to win and rightly so in their view. All the time while saying they were being persecuted on those threads also.

Do you remember those threads? Pretty sure you fit the bill of one of those who had to take some time off to recover when reality hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,313 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

please tell me that pic of farage and widdicombe is a photoshop. Do they have no shame?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's weird that the defenders of GB News keep quoting that post but never actually engage with it.

Anyway, I just threw a few bob to the RNLI since the intellectual heavyweights of GB News set their sights on them.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I love the faux outrage and the constant bringing up of him being a mod in politics as if that matters a jot to the discussion being held here.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I subbed to GB news, found it awful. Show ain't baste B! I am essentially a melodramatic parody of an alt right demon with aids etc, but this channel is not going to work out for me. It stinks and I don't like it. Taking the partisan hat off for a moment, most of the hosts are devoid of both personality and intellectual credibility. I can't imagine they have any background in classics or European literature or philosophy, plus their delivery comes off as a "hey we're all in on this, right?" type wink. I think it is a good business decision ultimately, the audience is out there and they'll make a few quid, but it shouldn't outrage anyone because it is about as leftwing as anything else. It is an ultra cucked, shabbos goy, waste of space. It ain't what some people think it ain't be, but it do be.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Isn't it a weird world where the target of a TV channels anger seems to be people working on rescue boats and a footballer who's trying to stop child food poverty.

But bigots and racists are lauded as good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's because of what they do to the people their marks hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You may very well get a momentary feeling of satisfaction from but believe me it's going to backfire.

I note in the US the trend from the Left to target companies for poor diversity records and so on so it's seems if anyone is importing American style politics to western Europe it's the Lefties.

All this will do is further promote GBNews at a time when you'd think you'd want to give it as little attention as possible so it would sink.

Also it will give more attention to the whole subject of the refugee channel crisis, the very thing GBNews said it wanted to do i.e. discuss topics the msm didn't want to discuss.

You may very well think attacking these companies in this way is a good idea but I'm certain it's not going to go down well with the general UK public at all. And it does't look like those behind this are as confidant as some here are that the channel will fail, rather they are actively trying to bring that about.

Yeah, it was the left that were posting videos of themselves burning their Nike shirts when it came out that they had continued to hire Kapaernick. And the left who lost their sh*t over Gillette running an ad suggesting men could be morally upstanding. And the left who to this day post incessantly on Twitter and other platforms that they are no longer watching anything whether it is the NFL, or MLB, or NBA or the Olympics or soccer when the organisations, teams or players do even the remotest thing that causes the 'Free Market' screamers to get their panties in a knot.

You, like you're conservative colleagues are once again adhering to the old adage of 'accuse others of that which you are guilty' Some do it to dilute their own actions, others probably because they are too stupid to realise the hypocrisy of their words.

In relation to the importing of the US style of politics, Farage literally went campaigning for Trump... On top of that, having Cruz on seems like a pretty clear sign of what they're aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As for the first paragraph I have no clue about those things. I have a vague recollection of the Gillette thing and it strikes me as stereotypically wokey weird. Was it targeted at right wing men because all left wing men are already morally upstanding aren't they.

As for the second you seem be in agreement with my assessment as if you weren't you're hypocrisy argument wouldn't hold up.

As for your too stupid to realize comment, that's just a spineless trick to avoid moderation. Attack the post not the poster so attack someone like the poster instead. Maybe you thought that I was too stupid to realize that is the tactic of the clean shaven morally upstanding kindhearted empathetic lefties on this thread.

'As for your too stupid to realize comment, that's just a spineless trick to avoid moderation. Attack the post not the poster so attack someone like the poster instead. Maybe you thought that I was too stupid to realize that is the tactic of the clean shaven morally upstanding kindhearted empathetic lefties on this thread.'

You're the one suggesting this was aimed specifically at you. That's telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looks like GB News wont be shutting down anytime soon.

There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the naysayers on here with this truly awful news.

Growing? Or trying to replace the people who have left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,131 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Or people they needed from day 1 and tried to cheap out on, hence the comical 'standards'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was already reported some weeks back that backroom staff had left. Also the resignation of their Director of Programing John McAndrew was significant as it was him who had personally persuaded many staff to leave the BBC and ITV to join GB News. When he jumped ship naturally all the people he had recruited suddenly felt the fear for their own careers and got out trying to limit the damage.

Its a bit like how when Russia Today started up they recruited a good few BBC and Al Jazeera journalists to lend the station an air of credibility. Just a few months later they were leaving in droves when they realised they could not criticise the Kremlin in any way. They knew if they stayed there they would never get a job in a serious news organisation again so they got out while they could still salvage their careers.

Id bet a similar thing is going on at GB News now. Their lurch to appeal to the far right will have employees thinking its either double down and stay there forever or get out now while you can. If they stay there and it goes under in 6 months then they'll never get a job in media again, any CV with GB News written on it will go straight into the bin.

Their chief-draw presenter attacked the RNLI last week for rescuing migrants at risk of drowning in the English channel and reportedly claimed years ago that his initials stood for National Front.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Farage, Widdecombe, Hoey etc would be regarded as far right in most countries in Europe (alongside Le Pen, Wilders, AfD, Orban etc). The Brexit guys think 'far right' refers only to extreme right groups like the EDL, Combat 18, the National Front, Britain First etc.

Well you have to remember

This is a poster who likened Marcus Rashford to Jimmy Saville after he heard the spectator were doing an article on Rashfords charity work (did that article ever see the light of day?)

He also claimed comedian Jim Davidson wasn't a woman beating racist even after proof was posted that Davidson is indeed a woman beating racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They also suspended Guto Harri who exercised his free speech on air (something which is supposedly a core tenement of the station) in order to placate members of their audience who complained about it because the station wasn't leaning enough to the right.

I'm not saying they're fascists, but they clearly showed they're more willing to lean further to the right because that's where their audience is, even though they initially positioned themselves as being somewhat centrist (or more so just "anti-woke") and proponents of free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,313 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Free speech is allowed on GB News once it supports the narrative they are trying to spin.

Taking the knee annoys their viewers...not allowed.

Neil Oliver's monologue about the hard fought freedoms won through WWII being eroded due to Covid...GB News gold.

• Advertisement

True but unlike GB News, I believe that it's important not to peddle falsehoods as facts.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement