Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I posted, so hopefully this is the only way you know.

I bet I'll get bloody notifications for it now! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Thanks for that - much appreciated! And it looks like the new options have done the trick, thank feck. I suggest everyone at least tries them. Thanks again LER!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What new options are there? I still got these notifications...

It's great advertising for RS though. 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I think the fact that this is basically the only thread I've been reading since the update, says it all. I used to spend a while most days browsing at lunch. I'd go in and out of a few of my favourite forums from the drop down menu, and have a look at the most thanked posts.

Since the update, I've logged on, seen that those features don't exist, come in to this thread, and seen little or no progress reported, and logged off the site again..

I'm assuming that over time, I just won't bother anymore if the dire current setup remains as is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I know things take time, and on a human level, I can only imagine the stress and pressure in the Boards office in trying to salvage this situation, but jesus, what a mess.

I can only presume there was very little forward planning or testing done, or that the team fell for a pretty demo and accompanying 'assurances' from a Vanilla salesperson. As a project, there will surely be many, many 'lessons learned'.

I don't want to heap on the misery, as it must be blind panic at this stage, but this can reasonably be called a failed migration, with traffic down and users seemingly dropping off. Sad to see it as I love Boards, and it didn't/ shouldnt need to have been this way, particularly if you bear in mind that there was a speedy rollback previously on changes to the touch site - was nothing learned from that? This change was seemingly rammed through, with no consultation and only paltry, low visibility communication to warn of the change at the last minute?

Boards admission that there is 'one developer' trying to work through this in conjunction with a Canadian IT company 4 hours behind (and who won't provide emergency support in evenings/ weekends), is... I don't know. That poor developer must be inundated, with some pretty unreasonable asks on them.

That being said, how boards have still not managed to implement seemingly straightforward changes such as editing 'my bookmarks' to read 'my threads' is a little mind boggling. indeed, there have been very few if any notable improvements in the last fortnight.

I can only presume that the Vanilla formula was not meant to be quite so specifically edited to suit what Boards actually wanted, and we are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

The mobile site (which is all I use) isn't terrible at all, but it no longer has any of the specific quirks and features that made Boards such a unique and wonderul forum, and its hard to understand if it will be possible to ever get there with the level of clarity in communication we have from the brass. And while I am reasonably adept at technology, I would hazard a guess that many Boardises are not, making the transition harder. Yes, vBulletin sites have been around for a long time, but there was a reason for that - they worked, and they were simple and easy to use, at least for the userbase.

Again, understand there is serious pressure to get things right, but 'we recognise the faults and are working on them' is a bit nebulous, and it's not clear if things actually can or will be fixed, how long that might take, and what will be left of the 'community' once we get 'there'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I just noticed my posts being attributed and linked to another mod of the same forum,

Whats going on here,

you can see my post on the subject here.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks like a visual bug, I think it's because karltimber started the thread. I can see the same thing on the categories screen but if I click into the forum it shows your name there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They've never had so much traffic! 😁

On desktop, go into Edit Profile from your avatar, then into Notification Preferences, and scroll down to where they've added options to change notifications for categories themselves. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's unbelievable that the site (desktop at least) has been left so horrible to navigate for so long. I cannot comprehend how somebody wasn't shouting orders down the phone to Canada 10 minutes after the site went live.

• Advertisement

The shouting should have been done before it went live. I feel sorry the employees trying to fix this.

I can imagine most of them saying please do this in a UAT environment and then will release when ready.

Then one idiot above them all with the final decision saying no lets do this in a live environment as doesn't properly understand how I.T works and didn't want to spend any extra money and probably got spun a story from vanilla on another site with proper functionality as wanted there business.

Usually how it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Please go back to the good auld days!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Thanks for the help i did this and under both categories and discussions it says no categories/discussions found so it seems all my followed forums have been un-followed in the change over, i still don't see an option to follow a forum and i don't have the will to go looking on the mobile site.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On the mobile site is the only way to follow a forum for the moment, but when it's done it carries over to the desktop "categories "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The site is rapidly heading towards the iceberg with these changes and all that seems to be happening is that the deck chairs are being re-arranged rather than the staff steering the site to safety.

I'm still bewildered as to how the site was re-launched in such a broken untested state. It's such a shame to the legacy of Boards.

So are you telling me that if I post 100 times on a thread that someone else started, their post count goes up 100.

And as a consequence the other poster does not know who is replying until they open the thread.

Its a joke, but not a funny one. So what else has now gone tits up on a forum.

I don't think it affects the OP's post count, it's just that their name appears as the last poster due to a glitch.

I'm sure I read that the OP's and last poster's name were added on the desktop site, so it's probably just gone awry ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I’m using the mobile version and yesterday my followed forums (personal issues and relationship issues) no longer appear in discussions - it just says no discussion found, despite them being there since the changeover. I went to categories and the option there was to ‘unfollow’ so I clicked that, then clicked follow but still nothing. Other forums that I click follow on seen to appear in discussions no problem.

don’t know how to resolve? Happen to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why does post save as draft even when posted?

• Advertisement

• Error reference number: 504
    • Cloudflare Location: London

What happened?

The initial connection between Cloudflare's network and Vanilla timed out. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

What can I do to resolve this?

Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, you can contact the site owner to let them know you were unable to reach the website.

Your IP: 80.233.43.1

Ray ID: 67678438de49dc43

Help Performance & Security by Vanilla Forums Inc.

• Error reference number: 504
    • Cloudflare Location: London

What happened?

The initial connection between Cloudflare's network and Vanilla timed out. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

What can I do to resolve this?

Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, you can contact the site owner to let them know you were unable to reach the website.

Your IP: 80.233.43.1

Ray ID: 67678438de49dc43

Help Performance & Security by Vanilla Forums Inc.

Well on my desktop its still the same,this is crap and so bloody confusing, its just not worth the hassle anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Yes. I think like that sometimes - quite often really, but then I try and remember some of the good times, the times that I would spill my coffee laughing, the times I got some really good advice from someone, the times that I didn't feel I was standing in a field shouting, the times my advice paid off for someone - and maybe we can get that back again. Fingers crossed 😉

Thats grand for youngsters, I cant wait that long, I'm 66 buddy, I cant be arsing about waiting for somebody to fix this stuff, when they dont know what needs fixing. I have no one left to threaten with a banning hammer. They've gone, kapput.

Where will i hang me banning hammer now?? Who wants a 66 year old mod who never banned anybody, I never even rose my voice to any member that I recall.

If I did then I'm sorry😉 Just come back if you can find the forum, and if you do, text me , I am lost again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

What do you expect if you use the Three network?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

How nice.

I am just loving this new site, so far. Very impressed with the engaging community spirit it inspires.

Feel free to change my name to Spam Boo, so.

Thats grand for youngsters, I'm 64 😋 saucy

I cant wait that long, I'm 66 buddy, - Where are you going? 😊

I should added to my list of the times you just kinda rip the pizz out of each other just for the laughs, just makes the world go round.

And yes the editing tools are shoite too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

Wonder will we get an update this evening..

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement