Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor asked to remove underwear....

Options

Comments

So I have to be related to someone to be angered at their mistreatment?

But for the record, no, I am not related to her.

What angers me is that so many are being so offhand and flippant about this, and their immediate response to what this woman described as an upsetting and traumatic experience was to go straight in and immediately attack her character and mock her. Blaming and shaming the victim at its finest.

Its utterly disgusts me. I am now stepping away for the sake of my own blood pressure.

Being asked to take your bra off because it sets off alarms in a secure facility is now enough to be labelled a victim these days.

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

Something very odd about all this, and it comes from the way this whole ‘article’ has been written!

It’s made to sound like a group of male prison officers just decided to make a woman remove her bra to leer at her! If that was the case, they should be sacked for gross misconduct! The very vague reference to the male colleague is only designed to inflame the article.

Surely a solicitor would know that if taking a case, as much info should be kept confidential and not leaked to the press?

But there is so much context missing from this that it’s impossible to form an accurate picture of what really happened.

I know the first part and the second part proves my point. Firther intervention does indeed happen.

You have searched many female prisoners I assume and further than just their bras

She wasn't a prisoner

ratracer wrote: »
    Something very odd about all this, and it comes from the way this whole ‘article’ has been written!

It’s made to sound like a group of male prison officers just decided to make a woman remove her bra to leer at her! If that was the case, they should be sacked for gross misconduct! The very vague reference to the male colleague is only designed to inflame the article.

Surely a solicitor would know that if taking a case, as much info should be kept confidential and not leaked to the press?

But there is so much context missing from this that it’s impossible to form an accurate picture of what really happened.

YOU, get out of here with that neutral and unbaised view of the situation

bubblypop wrote: »
    She wasn't a prisoner

So? I refer to prisoner as thats who we search. You ignored the pertinent section by the way.

Prison officers search visitors as well as their own staff.

Customs search drivers, passengers and sometimes staff

The airport search unit search passengers and their own staff

All four can escalate up the system to include underwear

• Advertisement

In fairness to all parties, several solicitors have asked me to remove my underwear over the years, and I always thought 'Their house. Their rules' and complied. So, it works both ways.

Still not sure why the other solicitor got through with less difficulty (if that bit is true) though. Seems very odd.

I would wager all posters who think she is being an unreasonable woman, are men!!

This could have been easily dealt with by a female prison officer.

I would wager all posters who think she is being an unreasonable woman, are men!!

Lol.

Men eh? The worst.

I would wager all those screaming that the men are pigs, are female.

If one was available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

I known plenty of people who visited relatives/parthners in jail...

This isnt common practice for all prisions,never heard tell of this....if it was it would raise hell in jails

Something more at play here,surely easist solution is an apology from the prision?
    There's something more to it allright. Maybe it's a notorious stuck up solicitor that's always causing trouble in the prisons? But she wouldn't have taken her bra off.
    I find it hard to believe that anyone suggested she take her bra off.

• Advertisement

Lol.

Men eh? The worst.

Considering most male posters here don't seem to know the first thing about searching women, I'm lost as to how they can possibly say that what happened to this woman was right.

Considering most male posters here don't seem to know the first thing about searching women, I'm lost as to how they can possibly say that what happened to this woman was right.

Surely they shouldn't be searched differently than a man? So if I know how to search a man then I know how to search a woman.

Still not sure why the other solicitor got through with less difficulty (if that bit is true) though. Seems very odd.

Theres more than just these 2 going in and out of the prison. Its not like one man and one woman deals with all the prisoners. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's been Solicitors found smuggling stuff in to their clients in prisons, so it's not like she should get some special treatment.
    Don't you mean ex-solicitors ?

Because I can't see how they could ever be trusted to behave honestly after that.

Because I can't see how they could ever be trusted to behave honestly after that.
    I know a solicitor, well known, caught coming into the prison with a bag of coke. No example was made of him. Still came in after that incident.
    Judge believed he forgot it was in there and was for his own personal use. It was about 1g.

The same fella that wears the tracksuit and all the bling on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mikethecop

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/solicitor-caught-with-cocaine-is-one-of-the-highest-paid-legal-aid-solicitors-36589045.html

is this guy still making prison visits ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/solicitor-arrested-for-allegedly-smuggling-phone-for-prisoner-1.2450159#:~:text=A%20solicitor%20is%20at%20the,and%20may%20face%20criminal%20charges.

or this one ?

one would wonder why a in person visit was required . most court dates were being done via video link even a year ago.

many solicitors are far from a honorable people , why should they be exempt from rules when in a jail?

i certainly am not.

It's me culture boss...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

apache wrote: »
    It's me culture boss...

Braindead Post of the Week.

apache wrote: »
    It's me culture boss...

Not remotely connected

Surely they shouldn't be searched differently than a man? So if I know how to search a man then I know how to search a woman.

Honestly?
    Not if you think it's even remotely ok to ask a woman to remove her bra and then visit a client, not wearing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Furasta wrote: »
    Probably had a metal wire bra that she really shouldn't have been wearing to a prison or an airport as it will set off metal detectors. The staff did their job not allowing it in because it could be removed from the bra and passed to the prisoner and possibly used as a weapon.

Honesty how you can become a lawyer and not think about situations like this is beyond me.....

She could have used it make a booby trap.

Honestly?
    Not if you think it's even remotely ok to ask a woman to remove her bra and then visit a client, not wearing it.

Honesty YOU

You keep making all these statements, you back them.

Not remotely connected
    Actually it is.

Honesty YOU

You keep making all these statements, you back them.

That's what is says in the link in the OP.
    Now that's not ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

Handled badly by both sides...

There has to be a better way. As someone else mentioned earlier, the deal with at the airport with the wand or often a pat down where they ask you if you want a female officer and they usually trace the wire with their fingers etc. I have zero issue with that. I would have zero issue being asked to remove it for the purpose of scan once it was in a private area and I could put it back on immediately.

If it were me there wouldn't be a chance in hell of me meeting a client or anyone else braless. I would be embarrassed and uncomfortable, most likely the same for the other party.

She could have asked for it to be dealt with differently at the time or turned back and followed up afterwards.

As for those suggesting a non wired bra, most are wired, almost essential for a large bust and the vast majority don't set off alarms. I don't think I even have one without wire.

That's what is says in the link in the OP.
    Now that's not ok.

who asked her to remove anything ?

theres multiple story's on multiple sites but they all seem to say she was told she couldn't go in while there was a hit from the metal detector.

given the history of solicitors sneaking stuff into jails thats fairly reasonable

it is a jail after all

from the link
    The solicitor said she was then told she would not be able to enter the prison if the monitor continued to sound, "so I would have to take my underwear off had I wanted to gain access".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We know very little of the facts at the moment do we?

This could turn into a Carlow school situation. Or it could be a simple as a major fcuk up by the prison staff.

I'll hold off on judgement until I see facts.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

This could turn into a Carlow school situation. Or it could be a simple as a major fcuk up by the prison staff.

I don’t know how you can come to the conclusion that prison staff may have made a balls of the situation. It seems to me that they acted perfectly and impartiality within the parameters of the security protocols.

true that

or she could have been trying to smuggle something into the jail and the POs suspected that ,

then she made a big scene to dissuade them from doing their job as effectively next time

• Advertisement

Mav11 wrote: »
    I don’t know how you can come to the conclusion that prison staff made a balls of the situation. It seems to me that they acted perfectly and impartiality within the parameters of the security protocols.

Even if its againest irish prision service policy

Looks to me,someone is getting suspended

Advertisement