Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trainee Solicitor Support Group

• 04-06-2021 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Feel free to use this thread for any talk about life as a Trainee Solicitor, any questions or queries relating to the upcoming PPC in 2021/22, any news or info, and anything else you feel relevant.

I would advise we all keep up the anonymity of boards.ie, but just stay professional and don't say anything you wouldn't be happy to show to your managing partner. Just to cover yourself because we are a niche group of people and given enough thought I'm sure we could figure out who is who.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

Has anyone seen last year's timetable? There is a link in this years application form but it doesnt seem to work? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Would anyone have any advice on who to ask for the character reference ? Asked my two previous employers but scared now I won’t get them in time as the deadline is so soon

Anyone have any suggestions on who else to ask ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

Would anyone have any advice on who to ask for the character reference ? Asked my two previous employers but scared now I won’t get them in time as the deadline is so soon

Anyone have any suggestions on who else to ask ?

My understanding is that, as a character reference, it doesnt need to be an employer, so perhaps a supervisor/superior if you're involved with any charitable initiatives, or clubs, teams, etc?

Also, the info pack specifies they must be "original (not copies)" ... does that mean that references sent my email would not suffice?:rolleyes:

My understanding is that, as a character reference, it doesnt need to be an employer, so perhaps a supervisor/superior if you're involved with any charitable initiatives, or clubs, teams, etc?

Also, the info pack specifies they must be "original (not copies)" ... does that mean that references sent my email would not suffice?:rolleyes:

Unfortunately the only club I’m involved in is one we own and it cant Be someone related to you.

I might email a lecturer although I’m out of college two years now but hopefully he’ll write be one ... I think they’re just a formality tbh the trainee in my firm said the solicitor just wrote her like a one sentence statement haha

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

For the character references I asked 2 of my best friends, one is a Supervisor and I have worked with him in the past for a brief period and we have been friends for the guts of a decade and the other is a college friend who I've known for 5 years and lived with for 2 years and he is a Garda which I suppose is enough for "a person of standing" as required.

I assume that's fine as from what I can gather it just can't be an employment reference it has to be someone who has some standing themselves, to say that you would make a good solicitor and are of good character (ridiculous stuff really). Oh and it also can't be a relative either.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know where to find the up to date Indentures of Apprenticeships post 2020? The ones on the LS website have SAMPLE written over them

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to find the up to date Indentures of Apprenticeships post 2020? The ones on the LS website have SAMPLE written over them

It says on the info pack the indentures are sent directly to the solicitor for signing by both of you after your application is received

OK so you have to apply to PPC 1/Hybrid first?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Starting to fill out application and already stuck on Form 1…
    On the first page, I just want to check which paragraph I fill out. I’m currently doing a preseat so would it be the 2nd paragraph? As I will be carrying 4 months, the first blank will be 20 months not 24? Hope this makes sense!

No I don't think you change the time when you're already in office. I think only after 18 months of your TC can you apply for credit pre PPC, I'm open to being corrected though. I'm in the same boat as you and I left in the "full time basis to commence on a date that will be fourteen days after the date of PPC 1 ending. Although that's not what I'm doing as I am also doing a" pre seat", and I think you just apply for credit a good bit into your training

• Advertisement

Lallers96 wrote: »
    No I don't think you change the time when you're already in office. I think only after 18 months of your TC can you apply for credit pre PPC, I'm open to being corrected though. I'm in the same boat as you and I left in the "full time basis to commence on a date that will be fourteen days after the date of PPC 1 ending. Although that's not what I'm doing as I am also doing a" pre seat", and I think you just apply for credit a good bit into your training

Ah thank you. Ok so I just still fill it in as 24 months. And are you deleting paragraph 1&3 then?

Is your student number the same as the Law Society ID/FE1 number?

Required on disability form(DN1)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lawlz

holliek wrote: »
    Starting to fill out application and already stuck on Form 1…
    On the first page, I just want to check which paragraph I fill out. I’m currently doing a preseat so would it be the 2nd paragraph? As I will be carrying 4 months, the first blank will be 20 months not 24? Hope this makes sense!

I have the same query!

I noticed on form 1 it just say ‘professional practice course’ and doesn’t distinguish between PPC1 and PPC2.

I presume it’s just a given that it is PPC1?

I want to back date mine too and selected this one.

Can anyone also clarify that it is definitely PPC1 they are referring to?

Cheers

Birth certificates not being issued due to HSE attack, in case anyone (like me) needs to order for the application.

Not sure how to get around that one

I’m stuck on the certified copy of my degree. I have the parchment but unsure what it is that I need to do next?

I’m stuck on the certified copy of my degree. I have the parchment but unsure what it is that I need to do next?

If you have transcripts for your college results those will suffice. If it's a copy of the degree then you need to get that certified by a solicitor. All it is is a stamp and they sign it to say its a true document.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aecc

Update from Law Society below re start date. They're doing their best in the current climate to be fair.

'The full time course is scheduled to commence on the 8th of September 2021.

Unfortunately we are still awaiting clarification from the Department of Higher Education. Once we receive clarification we will advise students accordingly. We appreciate arrangements need to be made for the upcoming course. I would suggest keeping an eye on the Law Society website.

In the meantime I would suggest working on your application. The application pack is now available on the Law Society website and can be submitted. The closing date is the 1st of July 2021.

Apologies we cannot give a definitive answer to you but once we know we will advise accordingly.'

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Is this in relation to it being in person or not?
    aecc wrote: »
    Update from Law Society below re start date. They're doing their best in the current climate to be fair.

'The full time course is scheduled to commence on the 8th of September 2021.

Unfortunately we are still awaiting clarification from the Department of Higher Education. Once we receive clarification we will advise students accordingly. We appreciate arrangements need to be made for the upcoming course. I would suggest keeping an eye on the Law Society website.

In the meantime I would suggest working on your application. The application pack is now available on the Law Society website and can be submitted. The closing date is the 1st of July 2021.

Apologies we cannot give a definitive answer to you but once we know we will advise accordingly.'

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

Has anyone got a letter from FE1 section confirming they've completed all 8 exams? or does anyone know how to go about getting such letter?

Has anyone got a letter from FE1 section confirming they've completed all 8 exams? or does anyone know how to go about getting such letter?

Email them at the fe1section email. I think there is a hard to find spot on the LS website where you can print off a request form. I did both about 3 weeks ago now and still waiting to get it back. Its the last thing I need for my PPC Application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 aecc

Is this in relation to it being in person or not?

Yes.

Has anyone been able to select an iPad yet or do we have to wait until they confirm our application - said we have to select it by 9th of July

There’s a form to fill if your firm has other trainees. Requires their date of indentures and commencement date of in-office training. Is the first date let’s say their pre-seat (if they did one) and the second after PPC1?

If they didn’t do a pre seat would both dates be the same then?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

There’s a form to fill if your firm has other trainees. Requires their date of indentures and commencement date of in-office training. Is the first date let’s say their pre-seat (if they did one) and the second after PPC1?

If they didn’t do a pre seat would both dates be the same then?

Commencement date is two weeks after they finished ppc1, indentures date would be when they were applying for ppc1, the trainee should be able to tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

hey guys,

just preparing everything i need for the ppc1 application, i asked a solictor i used to work with for a character reference, she has agreed but asked me to draft it and she will sign it but can anyone let me know what i should write as i have no idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

nicolesd wrote: »
    hey guys,

just preparing everything i need for the ppc1 application, i asked a solictor i used to work with for a character reference, she has agreed but asked me to draft it and she will sign it but can anyone let me know what i should write as i have no idea?

Keep it simple, just that nicolesd is a trustworthy person and she is more than suitable to work as a solicitor.

Also if you can't find a solicitor outside your firm to certify your docs, a garda can certify them, all of mine were certified by a garda and lawsoc took them (exception being the form which states it has to be signed by a solicitor, but if you need certified copies of anything I just had them certified by a garda)

Keep it simple, just that nicolesd is a trustworthy person and she is more than suitable to work as a solicitor.

Also if you can't find a solicitor outside your firm to certify your docs, a garda can certify them, all of mine were certified by a garda and lawsoc took them (exception being the form which states it has to be signed by a solicitor, but if you need certified copies of anything I just had them certified by a garda)

Didn’t think there was a qualification that it had to be outside your firm other than the proper indentures

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Sorry for the silly question but which form in particular needs to be signed by a Solicitor? I know my training solicitor has items to sign so I’m not sure if this is what you mean. From what I gather only the birth certificate and college transcript needs to be certified.

neon123 wrote: »
    Sorry for the silly question but which form in particular needs to be signed by a Solicitor? I know my training solicitor has items to sign so I’m not sure if this is what you mean. From what I gather only the birth certificate and college transcript needs to be certified.

Just the birth cert needs to be certified. Transcripts don't because they've got your college stamps all over it and have multiple identifying features that would be hard to fake. You can however get a copy of your degree certified (as in the parchment). Basically anything that is a copy, needs to be certified to be a true copy. Anything that's an original doesn't need to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigSprogs

I'm sitting my last FE1s in October, but the deadline for PPC Hybrid applications is October 1st. How am I to include a letter saying I passed all 8 FE1s when I'll not get that letter till after the deadline? I'm guessing there's something obvious I'm missing.

Advertisement