Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old superstitions you've heard of/still use

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

tupenny wrote: »
    I think the green car 1 is down to it blending in more with the landscape making it more likely to be unseen and involved in a crash

Some people consider green to be unlucky. An older relative of mine refused to even touch a garden tool she had asked someone to pick up for her when they were in Woodies because they bought a green one, and a woman once moved away from my mother on the bus because my mother started knitting something green. The woman explained why she was moving before she did so, so as not to offend my mother. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Zaph wrote: »
    Some people consider green to be unlucky. An older relative of mine refused to even touch a garden tool she had asked someone to pick up for her when they were in Woodies because they bought a green one, and a woman once moved away from my mother on the bus because my mother started knitting something green. The woman explained why she was moving before she did so, so as not to offend my mother. :rolleyes:

There was an old saying a relation used to have... ‘green is for grief’.. they’d never wear green... they didn’t drive so getting on a bus in the ‘80s must have been frightening... :P

New Year’s Eve my Dad at midnight opens the front and back door of the house... he used to have a saying although I don’t remember the thing, like “ all your bad luck out that way and in with the good.

‘Let all our bad luck go that way and welcome in the good..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭chooseusername

saabsaab wrote: »
    Interfering with a Fairy Fort is a well known one. Bad luck.
    There's huge fines, 25k, for destroying one.

Youd want to be pretty dense to level one, they do call out to do field work on them and then you're caught by the short and curlys.
    Calling a ringfort or ráth, a fairy fort or fairy ring is a misnomer.
    They are " circular earth mounds are over 1,000 years old, the remains of stone or wooden forts which housed an extended family in early medieval times. "

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/from-ringfort-to-ring-road-the-destruction-of-ireland-s-fairy-forts-1.4496069

A fairy ring on the other hand is just a circle of mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

theguzman wrote: »
    Never disturb a Lios, fairy fort, rath etc. I still continue the superstition out of respect for the old beliefs and from a historical and archaeological point of view I would like these ancient monuments to continue undisturbed into the future. Instead nowadays you have some thick farmer with a head on him like a kosangas cylinder and the IQ of a midge will come along and bulldoze it out because it is ruining his field of silage or whatever after that thing lasting for for thousands of years previously, protected by ancient pisheogs, curses and warnings of bad luck to let it alone. The old people had respect for the dead and ancients, they had absolutely nothing but never touched these places, today some moron with a 211 Toyota Lancruiser worth €90k will bulldoze these out of sheer greed for a few sq metres of topsoil.

Tis mainly happened during the 70s and 80s, not very common now. There is a ring fort on my uncles farm and I wouldn't dare touch it. A person in the locality built his house on a ring fort, all the neighbours told him he wouldn't have any luck for it. The neighbour built the house. He died a few years ago from cancer, his wife has lung cancer, his son drowned and a daughter was killed in car crash. Severe hard luck or the work of vengeful spirits ?

A fairy ring on the other hand is just a circle of mushrooms.

Where else do you think the fairy magic comes from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Interfering with a Fairy Fort is a well known one. Bad luck. One a heard is that a Green vehicle is unlucky.

Had a green car, years ago.
    A bitch I worked with said, oh green is unlucky. :rolleyes:

She was one of those who couldn't be glad for anyone though. It was my first new car, and I loved it. Drove the highways and byways of the country in it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Well green is ubiquitous with Ireland and what about the luck of the Irish?

*checks Irish history*

Oh, I see....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭randd1

And yet you still have people to this day greeting magpies, touching wood, throwing spilled salt over their shoulder and other such nonsense. There may have been relevance to these actions in the past, but a lot of people still perform them to this day, in some cases almost unconsciously because the superstition is so ingrained in them. While it may be interesting to explore how these superstitions came about, I'd be more interested in finding out why so many people today persist with such foolishness.
    They're a bit like religion, taught from one generation to the next, and became ingrained because people knew no better. And seem foolish these days because we do know better.

I have a black cat Cross my path many times a day in my apartment on his three legs... I think my very mixed luck is due to his presence.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Eddie lenihan has a book called meeting the other crowd.it’s all about that.you should get it

He also has a podcast where he discusses a lot of the old myths and folklore, "Tell me a story with Eddie Lenihan"

• Advertisement

a woman once moved away from my mother on the bus because my mother started knitting something green. The woman explained why she was moving before she did so, so as not to offend my mother. :rolleyes:
    Yeah, that's kinda weird, but she just sounds like a sweet old lady, tbh, if it a little too superstitious. Not sure why you're rolling your eyes.

I'm curious. Do you find Greek myths totally absurd? Myth and superstition are historical artifacts that serve as parables, parables are old information intending to serve some useful purpose (the world changes, and they often don't serve a purpose).

I wouldn't be so dismissive of it. I don't think it's necessarily useful, but it's almost always historically useful. It gives a rare insight into the priorities of a people who rarely left written information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yeah, that's kinda weird, but she just sounds like a sweet old lady, tbh, if it a little too superstitious. Not sure why you're rolling your eyes.

I'm curious. Do you find Greek myths totally absurd? Myth and superstition are historical artifacts that serve as parables, parables are old information intending to serve some useful purpose (the world changes, and they often don't serve a purpose).

I wouldn't be so dismissive of it. I don't think it's necessarily useful, but it's almost always historically useful. It gives a rare insight into the priorities of a people who rarely left written information.

A renowned Physicist was asked by a visiting colleague why he had a horseshoe over his door. He said it was for good luck. The colleague said mockingly 'surely you of all people don't believe in all that nonsense?' He replied 'No, I don't but I'm told it works anyway!'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    He also has a podcast where he discusses a lot of the old myths and folklore, "Tell me a story with Eddie Lenihan"

I like his books and videos.takes you away from your problems for a while.hes a great story teller.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I have a black cat Cross my path many times a day in my apartment on his three legs... I think my very mixed luck is due to his presence.
    :D

That be little Tripod

The most famous is the belief that 13 is unlucky. Our number plate format was changed to avoid a 13 D xxxx reg!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 erada

Contentment is the most valuable thing you will ever own.

erada wrote: »
    Contentment is the most valuable thing you will ever own.

I must get myself a matching pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

It's considered good luck if you give a present of a purse or wallet with a lucky coin in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Be right back

When a bird flies into a house, it's a sign of death.

Opening a window when a person dies, to leave their spirit go free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

A knife on the floor, a man at the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Suckler wrote: »
    The person you gift the knife to gives you a coin in return.
    (is my understanding)

Recently re-watched The Edge with Alex Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins so can confirm

Nodster wrote: »
    It's considered good luck if you give a present of a purse or wallet with a lucky coin in it.

Turning over silver coins in your pocket to ward off evil or bring good luck.

Someone having an evil eye. They can compliment but it is bad luck they may even not be aware of their power.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A myth is a fictional story, even if some served a secondary purpose as a parable. I'd almost consider them to be the novels of their time. Everybody loves a good story, and our ancestors would have been no different. I wouldn't put them in the same category as superstitions at all.

Superstitions hark from a less sophisticated/scientific time where many things were unexplained or simply not understood. Developing little rituals to ward off bad luck, illness or whatever is understandable under those circumstances. What's not understandable is why people still cling to them today, sometimes fiercely, as in the examples I mentioned above in relation to the colour green. My dismissal of superstitions is entirely aimed at their place in modern society and those who continue to believe them. It's quite ridiculous that any rational and educated 21st century adult would touch wood, wave at magpies, avoid the colour green, believe in fairy forts, etc.

The most famous is the belief that 13 is unlucky. Our number plate format was changed to avoid a 13 D xxxx reg!

That was done at the behest of the motor trade who were afraid that car sales would drop off massively in 2013. It's embarrassing that 1) their request was granted; and 2) that there are clearly enough people around who believe that guff to make them ask for the change in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

A recent one that came up for me was not painting in the month of May, we got the house painted recently but my mother refused to have it done in May due to it being unlucky or something...I'm actually serious, the painter wanted to start in May but she postponed it until June due to this superstition.

She said she got it from her mother who wouldn't let any painting go on in the house during the month of may.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lighting three cigarettes from one match

And yet you still have people to this day greeting magpies, touching wood, throwing spilled salt over their shoulder and other such nonsense. There may have been relevance to these actions in the past, but a lot of people still perform them to this day, in some cases almost unconsciously because the superstition is so ingrained in them. While it may be interesting to explore how these superstitions came about, I'd be more interested in finding out why so many people today persist with such foolishness.

Live n let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

bcklschaps wrote:
    A knife on the floor, a man at the door.

Fork on the floor is a stranger to the door.

triona1 wrote: »
    Fork on the floor is a stranger to the door.

Fork on the floor, woman to the door.
    Knife on the floor, man at the door (swit swoo)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Superstitions hark from a less sophisticated/scientific time where many things were unexplained or simply not understood. Developing little rituals to ward off bad luck, illness or whatever is understandable under those circumstances. What's not understandable is why people still cling to them today, sometimes fiercely, as in the examples I mentioned above in relation to the colour green. My dismissal of superstitions is entirely aimed at their place in modern society and those who continue to believe them. It's quite ridiculous that any rational and educated 21st century adult would touch wood, wave at magpies, avoid the colour green, believe in fairy forts, etc.
    Better be superstitious and leave the ring forts alone for that reason ,
    than be the vandal who bulldozes them.

• Advertisement

That's the problem right there though, we aren't rational creatures. I'm sure you've come across the book "thinking fast and slow" but if you haven't you should read it. Even very educated people, who would say to you (and themselves) "I'm a rational person" aren't. We fall prey to loads of biases all the time.

I imagine some superstitions arose because they were useful shorthand beliefs to avoid trouble. They worked in their original context that we've now, sometimes, moved beyond. The boots on the table one makes sense if you lived in an era of open sewers etc when you'll transfer dirt from your shoes to the place where you are eating for example. I imagine the luck money thing was a way to demonstrate to the buyer you were trustworthy, or as a promise on future sales etc, from a time before written contracts of ownership (maybe?).

Advertisement