Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Zaney wrote: »
    In Dún Laoghaire itself today when a business was setting out tables that I couldn’t walk past on the pavement, with the buggy, I asked if space could be left to get past. The response was “f*#k off”. I think the person regretted their gut response when I challenged them, so I won’t mention the business. But the residual pavement space in some locations is just awful.

I wouldn't put up with that ignorance for anything. Not asking you to name them here, but I'd be going after the Council to remove their outdoor space. They're only there in the first place with the consent of the Council and the good grace of local people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I wouldn't put up with that ignorance for anything. Not asking you to name them here, but I'd be going after the Council to remove their outdoor space. They're only there in the first place with the consent of the Council and the good grace of local people.

On the basis of one side of half a story, you want the council to remove outdoor space from businesses trying to get going after a pandemic lockdown?
    Seems a bit extreme wouldn't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Mav11 wrote: »
    So, did you manage to get past, or did you have to go back home?

The options normally are to go down onto the street or turn back so as long as you are happy to push your children into oncoming traffic it's not a big deal.

Cyrus wrote: »
    The options normally are to go down onto the street or turn back so as long as you are happy to push your children into oncoming traffic it's not a big deal.

Speculation aside, is that not what I am trying to establish? And how do you know it was oncoming traffic? May very well have been following traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If you can reconcile some of the quality of these frequent photoshoots with a camera phone being used, good for you. I've been at more of those events than I care to remember down the years and its always professionals, I can even name the two main providers.

I remember the Indo covering the costs in a wider FoI story once. You could always send one in yourself to DCC or DLR and see what comes back.

The photo quality of a new top of the range camera phone would beat most DSLRs.

Maybe you should do the FOI if you're so concerned, instead of spreading rumours.

• Advertisement

Speculation aside, is that not what I am trying to establish? And how do you know it was oncoming traffic? May very well have been following traffic!

Even worse you can't see it coming, why are you trying to establish what happened does it make any difference to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Why do you need to know. Does it make it acceptable if I can walk out onto the road with the buggy?

As it happened there were cars parked kerbside so I couldn’t. I turned back as far as to where I could cross to the other side , walked along the other side of the road till past the premises and then crossed again to get back to where I was going.

Even worse you can't see it coming, why are you trying to establish what happened does it make any difference to you?

Well it might make a difference to me, if I'm pushing a buggy down there in the future. Or maybe I have a thing about overcrowded pavements. Could be a million reasons.

I see you got the point about oncoming vs following traffic, well done.

Why do you need to know. Does it make it acceptable if I can walk out onto the road with the buggy?

As it happened there were cars parked kerbside so I couldn’t. I turned back as far as to where I could cross to the other side , walked along the other side of the road till past the premises and then crossed again to get back to where I was going.

This is a discussion board after all and you can look to the previous post to see why I might need to know.

But while not desirable, it doesn't make it unacceptable that a parent might have to push a buggy on a road. So long as it is not done recklessly, its not the M50, or not as the previous poster stated that children are pushed into oncoming traffic, then its probably fine!

This is a discussion board after all and you can look to the previous post to see why I might need to know.

But while not desirable, it doesn't make it unacceptable that a parent might have to push a buggy on a road. So long as it is not done recklessly, its not the M50, or not as the previous poster stated that children are pushed into oncoming traffic, then its probably fine!

Yep undesirable - sums up Dun Laoghaire pretty well.

• Advertisement

Was in Dun Laoghaire again today. Bits and Pizza’s have a new rooftop dining area.

Yep undesirable - sums up Dun Laoghaire pretty well.

Hi Zaney, just back from DL the place was hoppin', great athmosphere it was brilliant!

I have to pull you up on this. Dun Laoghaire is edgy, Dun Laoghaire is interesting, Dun Laoghaire has its fair share of gougers but Dun Laoghaire is never sanitised, never pasturesied and certainly NEVER undesirable. Maybe just not for you?

BTW I cycled through Marine rd., Georges St., Monkstown etc and saw nowhere that the street furniture would cause somebody with a buggy to move onto the road. I think that there is a bit more to your original story, is there?

Well it might make a difference to me, if I'm pushing a buggy down there in the future. Or maybe I have a thing about overcrowded pavements. Could be a million reasons.

I see you got the point about oncoming vs following traffic, well done.

You seem to want to be antaganostic for some reason, I'll leave you to it.

But while not desirable, it doesn't make it unacceptable that a parent might have to push a buggy on a road.

On this I absolutely disagree. If there is a footpath no one with a buggy or a wheelchair should be unable to use it.

You seem to want to be antaganostic for some reason, I'll leave you to it.

Can't see any antagonism myself, but if you're unhappy about being pulled up on wild, unsubstantiated, makey uppy, hyperbolic statements, off you go!

Can't see any antagonism myself, but if you're unhappy about being pulled up on wild, unsubstantiated, makey uppy, hyperbolic statements, off you go!

I can only assume you have been drinking in the sun, if you have any evidence of wild Unsubstantiated make uppy hyperbolic statements that I have made please share them, otherwise have another can for yourself.

On this I absolutely disagree. If there is a footpath no one with a buggy or a wheelchair should be unable to use it.

Agreed, didn't see any evidence of it myself today!

I can only assume you have been drinking in the sun, if you have any evidence of wild Unsubstantiated make uppy hyperbolic statements that I have made please share them, otherwise have another can for yourself.

What about that one. And yes I had a few pints in Dunphys, very nice they were too! You should try it!

What about that one. And yes I had a few pints in Dunphys, very nice they were too! You should try it!

Makes sense, and your previous post contradicted yourself BTW.

Makes sense, and your previous post contradicted yourself BTW.

Spell the contradiction out. Can't see it!

• Advertisement

Spell the contradiction out. Can't see it!

I'll do it tomorrow when you have come round.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

local resident David McWilliams makes his case for DL to be the winner of the best place in Ireland to live in 2021 (Irish Times)

Screenshot-2021-06-12-185900.png

I'll do it tomorrow when you have come round.

Ah now, that's a very weak response, surely you can do better than that? BTW they were non alcoholic pints, I was cycling!

Ah now, that's a very weak response, surely you can do better than that? BTW they were non alcoholic pints, I was cycling!

If that's the case you wouldn't need me to spell out the obvious :D

If that's the case you wouldn't need me to spell out the obvious :D

Please do. Spell out the bleedin' obvious.

local resident David McWilliams makes his case for DL to be the winner of the best place in Ireland to live in 2021 (Irish Times)

Ambitious, but its far from hitting those markers quite yet.

I must say I know Cobh quite well and can see huge similarities. Maybe that is why I like DL.

Kingstown and Queenstown.

Please do. Spell out the bleedin' obvious.

You agreed with me when I said if there was a footpath no one with a buggy or in a wheel chair should be unable to use it after very recently saying a buggy on the road wasn't unacceptable .

• Advertisement

You agreed with me when I said if there was a footpath no one with a buggy or in a wheel chair should be unable to use it after very recently saying a buggy on the road wasn't unacceptable .

For Gods sake, you really are scrapping the end of the barrel now.

Look back, I said it wasn't desirable but not completely unacceptable. I don't know what world you live in, but in my world people have to go onto the road occasionally. It's not the end of the world, no need to have a constitutional referendum or call in the Health and Safety inspectors. Get a grip!

Advertisement