Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continental four seasons rubbish

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just back from decathlon; picked up a michelin pro4 endurance for €30. if you are there, just keep an eye out for what it scans in at; the price on the shelf said €30 but it scanned in at €34 which they changed when i mentioned it.
    had been planning on picking up two hutchinson fusion 5s but they only had one left in stock.

also, the queue outside was quite long. we arrived ten minutes after opening and queued 25 minutes to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Spot the wear indicators on my GT5000’s... great tyres. The only issue I have with them is they can be very hard to fit to some rims. I currently have them on a set of Fulcrum carbon rims and my wife has them on. Set of Zipp404’s. On these rims they can be fitted and removed by hand (without tyre levers).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Whatever about using a tyre lever to take a tyre off quickly, don't tell me folks are using levers to put a tyre on!!

HTFU as they say :pac:

Conti GP5000s can be an absolute pain in the a*se

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Conti GP5000s can be an absolute pain in the a*se

I had mine on a set of hunt aero 33s. They broke my heart. 2 punctures in two weeks and pig tight. Gave them away on here for free practically new. Didn't want the hassle of them ane more.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I had mine on a set of hunt aero 33s. They broke my heart. 2 punctures in two weeks and pig tight. Gave them away on here for free practically new. Didn't want the hassle of them ane more.

We’re they difficult to put on or take off? Or both?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Spot the wear indicators on my GT5000’s
    i can't?
    in that, isn't the wear indicator usually a dimple in the tyre?

i can't?
    in that, isn't the wear indicator usually a dimple in the tyre?

That’s the point! Tyres are worn below indicators and still going strong. No side wall failure.

aha!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    We’re they difficult to put on or take off? Or both?

Both. I'd say different wheels might be easier.

I ended up getting zaffiro pro graphene 2.0 clinchers 28c. A set for 53.20 in cycle superstore. Fairly impressed with them so far. Going to throw them on and wait for continental to get back to me about warranty for the burst 4 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Definitely wheels as opposed to the tyres. I have no problem with Contis on my Bora wheels but they're very tight on the Ultegra rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I ended up getting zaffiro pro graphene 2.0 clinchers 28c. A set for 53.20 in cycle superstore. Fairly impressed with them so far. Going to throw them on and wait for continental to get back to me about warranty for the burst 4 seasons.

Good price for the Vittorias

Good price for the Vittorias

I fitted the front one backwards. They are actually very comfortable and roll very well.

is your front wheel directional? that's a trivial question if it's a disc brake bike, but treads on road bike tyres are purely decorational.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Very little. Nearly brand new.
    Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I just got my first flat on the back wheel of my Giant Quick-e bike The tires (tyres) are Schwalbe G-Ones. According to the technician that fixed it, they are not great on durability, and the walls seem very thin and dried out. Still, I have 2300 km on them, can't complain. I had the tube changed and kept the tire because the ones I will be getting later weren't available.
    I used the schwalbe ones for a few weeks and then never again, wore through like a knife through butter with very low mileage.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    EDIT: The Contis are an absolute ba$tard to mount. The only tyre for me that has ever broken a tyre lever.

For all of those saying they are a b*st*rd to mount, is it possible you are doing it wrong, as, hands up, I was for years. You need to sit the tyre rim into the middle before you push the other rim over. I used to bitch and moan about Schwalbe Marathons and now I can mount them with relative ease. It can be a pain on some rims to get the first rim to sit in the middle so once it is nearly done, you need to go around the wheel again and pop it out from being seated. Just something to try. Nearly all tyres should be mountable by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Big thing with GP5000'S that I've seen is the rim tape. Some tubeless rim tape is thicker or sits prouder. Something to look at maybe. That being said, the side walls on the GP5000 TLs look like they'd last an apocalypse.

is your front wheel directional? that's a trivial question if it's a disc brake bike, but treads on road bike tyres are purely decorational.

I changed it around. Took 5 minutes. Really surprised at how good the zaffiro pro graphene 2.0 are for the price. Going to leave them on and see how I get on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

CramCycle wrote: »

For all of those saying they are a b*st*rd to mount, is it possible you are doing it wrong, as, hands up, I was for years. You need to sit the tyre rim into the middle before you push the other rim over.

Even using this technique, GP5000s won't mount to Zonda 2 way rims without levers. I'm sure the rims are partially to blame but Michelin Pro4 SC will mount by hand - just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I find my GP4000's nearly as hard to mount as Marathon Plus. Albeit it was cold and wet, but broke a lever as me (and a few others on the spin) couldn't get the final bit over.

It was glass, so the GP4000 was goosed - ironically enough I put back on quite an old Conti 4 seasons from the winter bike! Have GP5000's ready to go ahead of the club league.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Just fitted a pair of 5000s today and didn’t find them too bad to mount but I agree it depends from wheel to wheel. I can’t believe though that nobody’s mentioned the biggest issue with them. The graphic with “5000” and the little German flag is offset on each side. This means that if you line up one side with the valve, the other side will be off. Not good for my ocd!! I’m guessing you’re supposed to mount them with the valve just before text on both sides but this just means that both sides would be ‘wrong’ so even worse!! In the end I just lined the valve up with the middle of ‘Continental’ on opposite side which will have to do :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Try warming the tyres before mounting them. Obviously not an option if replacing a tube on the roadside

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    Just fitted a pair of 5000s today and didn’t find them too bad to mount but I agree it depends from wheel to wheel. I can’t believe though that nobody’s mentioned the biggest issue with them. The graphic with “5000” and the little German flag is offset on each side. This means that if you line up one side with the valve, the other side will be off. Not good for my ocd!! I’m guessing you’re supposed to mount them with the valve just before text on both sides but this just means that both sides would be ‘wrong’ so even worse!! In the end I just lined the valve up with the middle of ‘Continental’ on opposite side which will have to do :-)

You just had to mention it, didn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Try warming the tyres before mounting them. Obviously not an option if replacing a tube on the roadside

What - like Gas 4/200/180 Fan? :pac:

I put the post on Facebook and hunt have come out and said tubeless contis are not suitable for their wheels. See attached

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Enve SES AR rims are the same. Not suited for gp5000's. In Enve's case it's to do with them being hookless rims designed for tubeless setups, and even though you can run an inner tube if you want, Enve feel at the relatively low tire pressures required with their rims (max 80psi usually), the contis won't stay mounted. Even Conti warn about it as well. Same story with the Zipp Firecrest 303's.

https://www.enve.com/learn/tire-compatibility/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I put the post on Facebook and hunt have come out and said tubeless contis are not suitable for their wheels. See attached
    My understanding is Hunt will only promote tyres they sell, so they won't say anything good publicly about any tyre except them. I have run Conti (GP4000SII and GP5000) on my Hunt Aeros for a few years now without issue, even won a race on them. they seat fine. I certainly wouldn't use the schwalbes they recommend as the wear rate is ridiculous although your mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

just back from decathlon; picked up a michelin pro4 endurance for €30. if you are there, just keep an eye out for what it scans in at; the price on the shelf said €30 but it scanned in at €34 which they changed when i mentioned it.
    had been planning on picking up two hutchinson fusion 5s but they only had one left in stock.

also, the queue outside was quite long. we arrived ten minutes after opening and queued 25 minutes to get in.

I’m looking at the website and not seeing any reference to these tyres. Is this normal for Decathlon?

I’ve just noticed some minor side wall damage on my commuter and I’m wondering should I try get these, or get some Schwalbe Marathon Pluses online. I don’t really need it to be fast because it spends a fair bit of time stopped at junctions, but I want it to be reliable. They’re to replace Schwalbe Kojaks that came with the bike and haven’t had a flat in 4000 km.

Sorry for slightly hikacking the thread from pure roadies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

CramCycle wrote: »
    My understanding is Hunt will only promote tyres they sell, so they won't say anything good publicly about any tyre except them. I have run Conti (GP4000SII and GP5000) on my Hunt Aeros for a few years now without issue, even won a race on them. they seat fine. I certainly wouldn't use the schwalbes they recommend as the wear rate is ridiculous although your mileage may vary.

Any experience with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless? I’ve a nice gravel bike coming and want to get a set of road wheels for it. I was looking at getting a set of Hunt Aero Disc 50s with those fitted.

Breezer wrote: »
    I’m looking at the website and not seeing any reference to these tyres. Is this normal for Decathlon?

I’ve just noticed some minor side wall damage on my commuter and I’m wondering should I try get these, or get some Schwalbe Marathon Pluses online. I don’t really need it to be fast because it spends a fair bit of time stopped at junctions, but I want it to be reliable. They’re to replace Schwalbe Kojaks that came with the bike and haven’t had a flat in 4000 km.

Sorry for slightly hikacking the thread from pure roadies!
    there was another example in the last week or two where i picked up a chain for nice and cheap there recently, but it wasn't displaying correctly on their site. i got the last of the hutchinson fusion tyres on the shelf, but there were plenty of the michelin ones still on display there.

• Advertisement

Decent reply from bike 24. They are refunding me the money for the 4 seasons and I don't have to return the tyre. See here:

Dear Mr. Byrne

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are very sorry that you have problems with tyre. It seems to be a manufacturer issue.

In this case we have decided to refund your money. The refund is already arranged
    A confirmation mail was sent separately. It is not necessary to return the defective item, please dispose of it in an environmentally friendly way.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience.

Yours sincerely

Thomas Neumann

Bike24 Service Team

Advertisement