Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish drama series.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Clinic, which was set in a posh Southside private hospital.

2003-2009 so covers peak Celtic Tiger years and the initial crash. Watched it again last year, still a good snapshot of the era.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Everlong1

The Spike! 1978 drama set in a secondary school that was axed halfway through after outrage ensued.

Two on TV3 around 2009/10.

The Guards, not sure if this was made into a full series, there was a pilot episode. From the clips I saw of it online it looked pretty riseable.

Jack Taylor, starring Ian Glenn. This was supposed to be set in Galway but from what I saw of it the setting was very vague. Dont think it lasted long.

Ian Glenn an absolutely brilliant actor, but god above, Jack Taylor was beyond awful. Made Fair City look worthy of multiple Tony awards. I'm convinced it was wrote by a primary school student

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Two on TV3 around 2009/10.

The Guards, not sure if this was made into a full series, there was a pilot episode. From the clips I saw of it online it looked pretty riseable.

Jack Taylor, starring Ian Glenn. This was supposed to be set in Galway but from what I saw of it the setting was very vague. Dont think it lasted long.

Tv3 showed it in a haphazard fashion over about 5 years, think some scenes were shot in Germany as some of the money was German

Murder in Eden, 1991 Tony Doyle, Peter Firth and Ian Bannen ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I remember seeing a movie / dramedy years ago about a group of young Irish guys, who were illegal immigrants working in the US. It was probably released in the early-mid ‘90s.

It focused on their lives there and I think one of the guys turned out to be gay.

Have never been able to find it again. Does anybody else remember this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hamachi wrote: »
    I remember seeing a movie / dramedy years ago about a group of young Irish guys, who were illegal immigrants working in the US. It was probably released in the early-mid ‘90s.

It focused on their lives there and I think one of the guys turned out to be gay.

Have never been able to find it again. Does anybody else remember this one?

It was called Gold In The Streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Thanks a million. Any idea if it’s available to watch anywhere?

Hamachi wrote: »
    Thanks a million. Any idea if it’s available to watch anywhere?

Not sure, best bet may be dvd on Amazon.

If I recall, Ian Harte who played Joe (Michael Collins right hand man) in Michael Collins was in it.

• Advertisement

The Year Of The French. Big budget co production with Channel 4 and French company about the 1798 rising. Shown in 1982 and shelved since, no repeats or home media release.

No Tears, hopefully on repeat in Baldy Noonans nursing home room

Not strictly Irish but filmed here The Governor, Janet McTeer as prison governor

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Proof and Proof 2 from approximately 20 years ago on RTE. I believe it was about a journalist investigating corruption.

The Clinic, which was set in a posh Southside private hospital.

The Treaty, which starred a young Brendan Gleeson as Michael Collins

The Treaty was actually quite good from what I remember , Gleason was a better Mick Collins than Neason.

The Clinic was terrible , but a few of the actors on it went on to better things (Chris O Dowd and Aiden Turner off the top of my head )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Inside (1985)
    Set in a prison. Obnoxiously bad with future Fair City actors.
    That was on when I was a kid, I remember laughing at the language in it.
    'Grass', 'get back in your hole ' and the lads watching Bosco :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Bracken, with Gabriel Byrne, Joe Lynch and Mick Lally. It was the missing connection between The Riordans and Glenroe.

Strumpet City is worth a watch again. Pure Mule shows how good Irish TV can be, but it doesn't have a chance up against anything that stars Amy Huberman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remember a drama from the late 2000s depicting a number of people who were struggling during the start of the recession.
    It depicted a different person each week. The one I watched depicted a young single mother who was living hostel to hostel. Her family had little sympathy for her and the father of her child was a total scrote.
    I can't for the life of me remember the name of the show though.

I remember a drama from the late 2000s depicting a number of people who were struggling during the start of the recession.
    It depicted a different person each week. The one I watched depicted a young single mother who was living hostel to hostel. Her family had little sympathy for her and the father of her child was a total scrote.
    I can't for the life of me remember the name of the show though.

Prosperity, the other episodes from what I remember were a young lad living in a flat complex (Ballymum?) who goes to visit his biological dad who wants nothing to do with him. An African woman working as a cleaner whose boss wants to get into her pants and the final one which I only half saw was about a middle aged alcoholic fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Prosperity, the other episodes from what I remember were a young lad living in a flat complex (Ballymum?) who goes to visit his biological dad who wants nothing to do with him. An African woman working as a cleaner whose boss wants to get into her pants and the final one which I only half saw was about a middle aged alcoholic fella.

Directed by Lenny Abrahamson.

The episode with the alcoholic guy was kind of a spin off from his film Adam and Paul. The guy (Georgie I think was his name) with the drink problem was a minor character in the movie.
    It was a tough watch but that episode was actually very moving.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Directed by Lenny Abrahamson.

The episode with the alcoholic guy was kind of a spin off from his film Adam and Paul. The guy (Georgie I think was his name) with the drink problem was a minor character in the movie.
    It was a tough watch but that episode was actually very moving.

In the movie was he the guy they were trying to sell the telly to, through a dodgy shop owner middleman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Year Of The French. Big budget co production with Channel 4 and French company about the 1798 rising. Shown in 1982 and shelved since, no repeats or home media release.

The Chieftains, did they do the TV soundtrack for that series as I'm sure they have an album of that name.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

FAMILY

starred Sean McGinley as an abusive husband....wife played by Geraldine Ryan...around the early 90s, ....remember the world cup or euro champs was on the same time...so was 92 or 94

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

If I recall, Ian Harte who played Joe (Michael Collins right hand man) in Michael Collins was in it.
    I remember seeing Gold in the Streets in the cinema, but never seen anything about it since. Aiden Gillen and Jared Harris were also in it. As was John Belushi's brother James.
    Dr Bob wrote: »
    The Treaty was actually quite good from what I remember , Gleason was a better Mick Collins than Neason.
    I believe Neeson conceded that on the Michael Collins set when he shared scenes with Gleeson, who I don't recall having any lines in the movie.

Those Access Community Drama tv plays that RTE would show mid 80s. Various amatuer drama groups would film these mini dramas with equipment provided by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Can this be had anywhere? I love big historical epics.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Aurelian

Bizzare how this one has completely disappeared. Surely worth a repeat?

I was eight when it was screened and it was a big tv event, everyone watched it which makes its subsequent burial all the more perplexing. RTE are weird that way.

The Chieftains, did they do the TV soundtrack for that series as I'm sure they have an album of that name.

They did; also credited to the RTE Concert Orchestra. The Chieftains also act in the series.

The album got a CD release in the US in 1989 but is quite scarce now. Vinyl copies are very plentiful.

The Year Of The French was also broadcast by Channel 4 sometime in 1983 and that appears to be source of the off-air copies that appeared on UK videotape trading lists in the early '90s.

I was in college with a guy from Killala who said there was serious buzz when it was being shot in the summer & autumn of 1981.
    During the filming, turf was dumped on the streets of Killala every day - to give it a muddy look. He said when it was broadcast (in the run-up to Christmas 1982), people seemed more concerned with spotting their friends rather than concentrating on the story. I didn't think it was great and by all accounts, was quite inaccurate in parts. From RTE's perspective, it was an expensive failure - GBP £1.7m was the cost - and given the lukewarm critical reception it got, international sales of the programme were pretty dismal. The ideal time to repeat it was for the 200th anniversary of the rebellion in 1998 and it was noticeably absent.

• Advertisement

Another RTE/Channel 4 co production was Summer Lightning, from 1985. Cant remember much about the storyline but it was set in an Anglo-Irish big house in the 19th Century. The main reason I remember it was myself and the brother were watching and there was an exchange of dialogue between a husband and wife that went. Wife, in an angry frustrated tone: "Fcuk me!". Husband: "I'm nearly 40". Wife again: "**** me!". I remember the two of us looking at each other dumb struck, and glad that our mother wasnt up or shed fecking murder us for watching something with dialogue like that.

The husband was having it off with a younger fancy woman and ignoring his wife which I think was what the whole scene was about.

Advertisement